Question for NON-dutasteride users

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
I'm interested to hear some individual, personal reasons for NOT taking dutasteride, i.e., what side effects you're afraid of, or what piece of research or evidence contributed to your decision to avoid it. Obviously, if your reason for not taking dutasteride is "finasteride + X is working splendidly for me", then you don't need to reply to this thread.

Thanks!

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
Thank you, Cassin.

Those side effects don't seem that bad to me, very close to finasteride, no?

I just wonder if I grow tits would they ever go away!

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Snarfleflous said:
Thank you, Cassin.

Those side effects don't seem that bad to me, very close to finasteride, no?

I just wonder if I grow tits would they ever go away!
they arent very close to finasteride they are EXACTLY the same as finasteride and to my understanding the side effects are caused by the lowerd dht
with dutasteride the chance is a bit highr but if you take a look on the first link cassin posted its still very very very low risk
one thing cassin is right about is there were no large reserch about it with hairloss

cassin if youre tring to scare the guy you should bring a bit scraier links
the ones you gave dont make dutasteride look bad at all

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
its the same side effects with a slightly higher precentage that's how
cassin cant you read?

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
The side effects dont bother me much, not because i wouldn't hate them if i had them, but because i think most of the medications widely used for hair loss have a fairly small incidence.

What scares me are all the stories of horrifying sheds from which you may/may not recover fully. I know this is a hotly contested issue, and i know some posters like jayman have very opposite views, but for something unproven and largely untested, i'll stick to finasteride for now.

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
roki said:
its the same side effects with a slightly higher precentage

That's what it looked like to me.

Of course, I guess there is no reliable research into dutasteride's possible long term effects...?

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Snarfleflous said:
roki said:
its the same side effects with a slightly higher precentage

That's what it looked like to me.

Of course, I guess there is no reliable research into dutasteride's possible long term effects...?
its not out long enogh,you never know- it could be very bad for us dutasteride users in the long run
but finasteride can be just as well so...

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
roki said:
its the same side effects with a slightly higher precentage that's how
cassin cant you read?

How in the world can you state they are they same side effects?

I can read fine thank you, but apparently you haven't looked into it.

http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/pro ... safety.jsp

i have seen it ,i find it very hard to belive that not even one person had gyno or impotance dont you?

Cassin

Reaction score
I am just going by what they listed in FDA studies. Not sure why they would say it's true for one and not the other if that is not the case?

If you want to ignore FDA studies based on your speculation and by taking the faith anecdotal posting on this and other forums then yes, you win the argument.

There is no way I can argue that if thats the basis for your discussion.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
anyway cassin its easy
the risk is still incradiblly low just few perecnt
i am a gambller in my personallity and i know how to recognise a good gamble and dutasteride is one
there's no point in arguing about it - the facts are the risk is about five precent for getting any one of the sides on dutasteride that's just a low chance
im glad i didnt get any and as for Snarfleflous - you know the risk if you wish to take it you have only yourself to blame if your tits grow bigger

you could find horror story's for both of them- so yes you Could be next
maybe on finasteride youll have a lower risk but youll also have less hair

G

roki said:
anyway cassin its easy
i am a gambller in my personallity and i know how to recognise a good gamble and dutasteride is one
there's no point in arguing about it - the facts are the risk is about five precent for getting any one of the sides on dutasteride that's just a low chance
im glad i didnt get any and as for Snarfleflous - you know the risk if you wish to take it you have only yourself to blame if your tits grow bigger

i agree.

and most of the sides are reversible except for the gyno which only happened to 1% of guys. no one can argue that dutasteride will leave you with more hair along with a much better chance to keep what you have for decades and decades. we haven't heard of many people continuing to lose a lot of hair on dutasteride but we have heard of this happening on finasteride because 85% inhibition of type II is not enough for some people. That still leaves 15% around to do damage. But with 0.5 mg dutasteride inhibiting 98.5%, hair loss slows to a freakin crawl, if it picks up again at all.

Cassin

Reaction score
JayMan said:
roki said:
anyway cassin its easy

i agree.

and most of the sides are reversible except for the gyno which only happened to 1% of guys. no one can argue that dutasteride will leave you with more hair along with a much better chance to keep what you have for decades and decades. we haven't heard of many people continuing to lose a lot of hair on dutasteride but we have heard of this happening on finasteride because 85% inhibition of type II is not enough for some people. That still leaves 15% around to do damage. But with 0.5 mg dutasteride inhibiting 98.5%, hair loss slows to a freakin crawl, if it picks up again at all.

I agree with all of this as well!

but this doesn't deal with my original point. :D

G

Cassin said:
JayMan said:
roki said:
anyway cassin its easy

i agree.

I agree with all of this as well!

but this doesn't deal with my original point. :D

No i saw your original point that side effects happen to a higher percentage of people on dutasteride than on finasteride. This is why I think people should talk to their doctor and try it if they are interested. Gyno is such a small risk that it's worth it in my opinion, and most of the other ones are reversible upon discontinuation of the drug.

This may be a bad analogy(youve been warned) but look at people getting the gastric bypass surgery to lose enormous amounts of weight. They know the risks(which are much greater than that of dutasteride obviously, like death), but they choose to go forward with it because they see a better life for themselves when theyve lost 70% of their weight. Likewise, some people on here(myself included) see a better life for ourselves with more hair.