Prp Experience - Shedding, Not Sure Whether To Continue

MouseGraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, All! I'm 29F and have had about two years of heavy shedding (with a history of big hormone-related sheds throughout my teens and twenties, any time I went on or off BCP or had a baby). Had some iron deficiency, corrected that months ago. I think it helped a bit. Thyroid appears normal. I do have a family history of thinning.

I thought I'd try PRP before I committed to Minoxidil because I was so afraid of the dread shed. Well, two weeks after my first PRP session, my hair started falling out. I'm losing at least 200 hairs a day, where I was losing about 70 before (I considered that stabilized from a high point of 150 for most of 2017). The doctor wants me to come back for my next scheduled appointment, but I'm not sure that's a great idea since nobody can explain why this is happening.

So anyway, now I'm wishing I'd tried other stuff (even if it's associated with a shed), because at least it's cheaper and you have some idea that the shed will stop and your hair will grow back. I have no idea what's happening to me.

What really pisses me off is that when I specifically asked about shedding, everybody at the office was like, no, that doesn't happen, we haven't seen that. And now the doctor is saying this is part of the process?

Anybody have PRP shedding that resolved in a net gain?

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about PRP. It slows down my shedding for the first month after I get it done and then shedding is back to normal. I'e had about 6 sessions by now. One time I had it done and a few weeks later I noticed a bunch of vellous hairs getting longer and thicker. But that only happened one time and hasn't again even though I've gotten it done like 3 times since then....but shedding can be a really good sign for some people as the old hair may be getting pushed out for better hair. Let me ask you, does your hair seem healthier or stronger now? How does your scalp feel now compared to before?

MouseGraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about PRP. It slows down my shedding for the first month after I get it done and then shedding is back to normal. I'e had about 6 sessions by now. One time I had it done and a few weeks later I noticed a bunch of vellous hairs getting longer and thicker. But that only happened one time and hasn't again even though I've gotten it done like 3 times since then....but shedding can be a really good sign for some people as the old hair may be getting pushed out for better hair. Let me ask you, does your hair seem healthier or stronger now? How does your scalp feel now compared to before?

Thanks for the reply and the details about your experience! My scalp is a bit itchy, which it wasn't before. Oh, how I love to think it might be new hair growth beginning. Could be just inflammation.

Also the hairs coming out are all different lengths--that's new, too. Like itty bitty arm hair size to full length club hair. Normally I just shed a lot of terminal hairs, but constantly and with thinning over time. It's like they all decided to jump ship together.

Any observations are helpful!

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to say. Try conoari g pictures before/after??