PRP Experience Report

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

as promised I'm reporting here on my PRP treatment.

Will it work? I don't know. I read some research papers before which are quite positive about its efficacy. Hence I decided to give it a try and monitor closely.

Current status:

• NW3 on the border to NW4. Vertex recently restored thanks to finasteride. Had first visible loss of density in my vertex around August 2014. Started finasteride in November 2014 and vertex is restored by now (May 2015). finasteride did not have any effect on my hairline up until now and only on the vertex. But for assessing PRP efficacy it should be kept in mind that finasteride might after all show some effect too. I just think it's highly unlikely it will show effect just in these 8 weeks during which I will assess PRP efficacy (more on that below).
  • 25 years of age, soon turning 26
  • hair loss since 17
Regimen:
  • minoxidil in varying doses and with a 6 month break for 3 years
  • finasteride 0.5 mg every three days since beginning of November 2014
To provide an overview of what I have gathered from my Doctor before, I'll copy-paste my post from another thread:

• I'm paying 600€ for the first injection session; if I decide for follow-ups I'll get them for 500€ per session. Tried to bargain with the Doctor and he told me that his costs for one session are around 300€ to 350€ everything included (i.e. personnel, licensing, running equipment costs and retrospectively financing the centrifuges, etc), just to give you a rough idea of the price range and why it can't be had for (much) cheaper.
  • Apparently the PRP is somewhat sensitive to external factors. He told me not to use any shampoo for 24 hours past injection, and no topicals for at least 48h, better 72h after the injection session. After that you can proceed as usual.
  • PRP activation lasts only for a few minutes after centrifugation. Treatment must be performed within 20 minutes after centrifugation; the quicker the better.
  • No sports for 24h so as not to risk sweat interfering with the PRP.
  • One injection session for my state (somewhere between NW3 and NW4) will be around 16 injections in total, each injection will cover an area of roughly 1 cm^2. He will use them to evenly distribute along the hairline (a bit below such that the covered area will be touching right with my current hairline) to maximize treatment area. A few remaining injections will be used to fill up my vertex a bit.
  • With some young clients, he has actually witnessed reactivation of completely dormant follicles. I.e. some single terminal hairs penetrating through slick bald areas, which definitely proves effectiveness. All in all, young patients are the most likely to receive gains.
  • First few very weak terminal hairs can be witnessed breaking through the skin around 8 weeks after the injection session, but obviously only in the areas covered by treatment.
  • Treatment will hurt a little bit, but can be endured without any anaesthetics.

How it went:
They drew some of my blood, which took less than 3 minutes. Two syringes, each of them 10 ml. They filled them until around 8.5 ml, so they got around 17 ml of my blood in total. Then they started preparing it with a centrifuge, resulting in 4 or 5 smaller syringes with the PRP concentrate. This took around 10 minutes, maybe a bit less. After these 10 minutes I immediately received the injections, i.e. directly when the PRP was ready. As stated above, most of them were injected about 1 cm below my hairline (IIRC around 10 of them) and three or four in my vertex. Surprisingly, the injections did indeed hurt (has to do with scalp being sensitive in general apparently), but it was definitely bearable. Nothing compared to DR'ing ;)

How things will go from here:
Doctor says first results, if any, should be seen approximately 8 weeks after the injection session. They will show as young, weak terminal hair. Similar to the first signs of regrowth on finasteride or minoxidil - very weak, new hairs breaking through the skin.

Will new hairs show in my case? I don't know, but I'll report back. If there is any effect at all, I will get a second treatment session cause the Doctor says that effect can be stacked initially up to three times. No additional effect can usually be noticed past three injection sessions in a short amount of time according to him. He also says that effect can be refreshed once a year, but in follow-up years only once a year makes sense according to him. I will judge for myself though if it's worth it and not just blindly trust him.

Anyway, I will report back in 8 weeks to give a status update and report whether there was any regrowth at all or none at all. In the following days I will also add some photos to document my state before treatment.

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the report, mate. Hoping it yields some results! Keep us posted.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know. The amount that would equal PRP preparation from roughly 17-18ml of blood, whichever that would be.

The amount, just by itself, is also no relevant factor. The concentration is just as important. You can gethuge amounts of lowly concentrated PRP and it wouldn't help at all, whereas small amounts with high concentration can be effective.

freeflow

Reaction score
the initial 3 treatments should be stacked in what interval? 8 weeks? more, less? I did my first PRP today, will update with pictures if there is any change.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, Doctor said stacking optimum is 8 weeks.

By the way, I'm actually having a few new terminal hairs breaking through the skin. All of them are less than 1 cm, i.e. they must be recent acquisitions, but they are as thick in diameter as all my other terminal hairs. To put this into perspective, though: All along my hairline there are maybe 10 of these new terminal hairs in total, i.e. it's not even remotely cosmetically significant.
Only time will tell whether it makes a cosmetic difference, but at least PRP does something.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As promised, here is some photo documentation. I took close-ups of my hairline and added some arrows to indicate new terminal hair. For reference, my hair is currently about 5 cm / 2 inches, so it should be obvious from the length of these hairs (between 0.3 and 0.7 cm) that they are new.

I'd advise you to zoom into these photos at 100% to get all the details.

As you can see, some new terminal hairs are breaking through, but it's nowhere near "cosmetically significant". On the other hand, it's only been 4-5 weeks post injection, and the Doctor said that effects would show around 8 weeks. Let's see how things develop.

One more thing I found interesting: All these black dots which are clearly follicles. I took photos before my PRP injections, but I have no idea if they were there back then cause I took the before-photos with my own camera (which sucks and doesn't show a lot of close-up detail), while these photos now were taken with a friend's DSLR.
Does everyone have these "follicle dots" in their bald areas, or might these be indicators of formation/revival of old follicles?

jandrsn27

Reaction score
You definitely have more density, and new hairs coming up. For 4-5 weeks post ANY treatment, the results are amazing!

freeflow

Reaction score
yes, i agree you got great results, even if u can save the rest of your hair is perfect. I also took before photos, and i will also go for a 2nd PRP in 3 weeks.

kenny-k

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe anything you got was from finasteride or min...PRP did eff all for me and I had 3 injections. If you don't tackle the DHT it won't do anything.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I guess it's time for an update again.

The situation around my hairline seems to have stabilized, so I can now give a summary of my PRP treatment. Bottom line: PRP has an effect, but it's definitely not worth the money when applied at the front. From the studies I have read I would say that it can be quite effective for thinning and vertex. Unfortunately, not for frontal recession. Even though it did have an effect, it is not cosmetically significant. It has lowered my hairline by 2 to 3 mm. Not that much for 600€.

Anyway, photos speak louder than words.

As you can see, there are definitely more new hairs than compared to the 10 per side of the first post-treatment photos I posted. As you can also see, there are no new short hairs coming through so I assume this is the final result.

Just to reiterate on the result: It works, but the effects on the front and temples are extremely limited. My advice: If you are thinning or balding in your vertex, go for it. If you have frontal recession, save your money.

Hope the thread helps other people wondering about whether to get PRP treatment or not.

PS: Such a shame to see all these vellus hairs in the shot from above. If they'd just turn terminal...

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Apparently there is PRP and also PRP plus ECM (extracellular matrix). PRP itself doesn't do much. I am not endorsing PRP/ECM combo but it's something I have heard about from surgeons but not researched.

Thanks for documenting this. Do you still apply Minoxidil on those bald frontal areas?

kenny-k

Established Member
Reaction score
PRP is f***ing garbage...I did 3 injections and it got worse almost! Might be good when you're on the big 3 MAYBE!

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you still apply Minoxidil on those bald frontal areas?
Yes, at reduced dose, i.e. 1x 1 ml per day. Like 5 days a week, when I'm home in the evenings. But the minoxidil situation had stabilized quite some time ago, so I consider it to be unlikely that the minoxidil suddenly gave me a boost there, exactly within the three months after PRP.

Masakage

Reaction score
So it seems that PRP wasn't very effective after all, maybe it would be beneficial for someone who just started to experience the very early signs of hair loss, if it managed to prevent or reduce hair loss. I was seriously considering PRP, however at the cost and the amount of sessions needed, I don't really think it's worth it.

That is too bad. I guess the only time I'll be having a PRP treatment is if I get a hair transplant in Turkey, as they offer PRP for faster recovery after an FUE as part of a package.

Thanks for the update, how's minoxidil working out for you? Are you by any chance still experiencing sides?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, at reduced dose, i.e. 1x 1 ml per day. Like 5 days a week, when I'm home in the evenings. But the minoxidil situation had stabilized quite some time ago, so I consider it to be unlikely that the minoxidil suddenly gave me a boost there, exactly within the three months after PRP.

Thanks, I see. I was just generally wondering how you and Minoxidil were getting a long rather than being related to PRP.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Thank You Benj. I'm sorry it did not produce the desired effect we were all hoping for.

Good man you are for trying.