Propecia

okok

Reaction score
the dosage of finasteride

Q1)What is the dosage of propecia is the best?

Q2)Any one take more than 1mg of propecia?

Q3)Is it the same effect of 1mg of propecia and 1/5 proscar? as they have the same ingredient(finasteride).

Q4)Is is true if more the finasteride taken, the more the effectiveness of treating hair loss?

Thanks a lot !!!

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: the dosage of finasteride

okok said:

Q3)Is it the same effect of 1mg of propecia and 1/5 proscar? as they have the same ingredient(finasteride).

Q4)Is is true if more the finasteride taken, the more the effectiveness of treating hair loss?

Thanks a lot !!!

okok to answer your questions

A1) the best dosage is between 0.5mg-2.0mg, from the clinical studies done by the FDA 1mg is the most effective, after this the effectivness comes to a point of deminishing returns, meaning that 5mg is not any more effective than 1mg for treating hairloss.

A2) theirs lots of people on this fourm taking more than 1mg for hairloss(quite common for 1.5mg), guys suffering from BPH(enlarged prostate) take anything upto 5mg a day.

A3) It's the very same except with proscar you have to cut the tables yourself into the proper dosage.

A4) taking anything more than 1mg of finasteride is a waste. In fact 0.2mg suppresses almost as much DHT as 5mg. 0.2mg suppresses 70% and 5mg about 85%. 1mg is almost identical to 5mg in DHT suppression, hence 1mg is rated as the most effective in relative terms

Hope this answers your questions

okok

Reaction score
the dosage

If the dosage is greater than 1mg, the effectiveness is decreasing? I would like to know more about this, could you provide me some information?

But, for the dutasteride, the effectiveness increasing as the dosage increased. So, they work in different manner?

G

Re: the dosage of finasteride

okok said:

Thanks a lot !!!

See the dosage study posted on this website under research.

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
i read in different places (interviews of sexologists) that the less you use your prick with age (a natural phenomenon), the smaller it gets. Having a decreased libido would then explain a shrinkage (don't forget we also get erections in our sleep). That means you can always counter this by using various supplements.

But I'm sure these are pure speculations from Dr Pezzi. I doubt there's any serious study about long term side effects of propecia on penis size.

(But as always I can't be 100% sure of what I've just been writing)

Cassin

Reaction score
khai said:
i read in different places (interviews of sexologists) that the less you use your prick with age (a natural phenomenon), the smaller it gets. Having a decreased libido would then explain a shrinkage (don't forget we also get erections in our sleep). That means you can always counter this by using various supplements.

But I'm sure these are pure speculations from Dr Pezzi. I doubt there's any serious study about long term side effects of propecia on penis size.

(But as always I can't be 100% sure of what I've just been writing)

No wonder I'm huge :lol:

G

I will say this. Since I have been off propecia, I am getting back to having many nocturnal erections. These had disappeared while on propecia.

Needless to say, I am pleased.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
That didn't take too long, at least there's hope in that much, how long ha ve you been off the propecia now

G

Jack_the_Lad said:
That didn't take too long, at least there's hope in that much, how long ha ve you been off the propecia now

Well I have been giving Mr Willie some help with arginine at bed time. That or a low dose of v**** at bedtime will help restart the motor quite nicely.

G

Been off propecia about 4 weeks. Hair staying in my head for now. Thank God for folligen.

Concerned

Reaction score
Itching/shedding after 15 months.....

Hi.

I posted under the Nizoral heading but figured I'd post here as well.

To give a brief update: I've been on propecia for approx 14 months (with good success) but in the past few weeks noticed an increase in shedding and now along with that an increase in itchyness. All along I've used Nizoral as suggested. My question is should I add something else to help with the itching? Would something like Head & Shoulders be useful, or a product like Folligen which i've just read up on? At first I wondered if the propecia had become ineffective but now that I notice the increased itchiness I'm assuming the new shedding is related to this irritation i'm experiencing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
I will say this. Since I have been off propecia, I am getting back to having many nocturnal erections. These had disappeared while on propecia.

Same thing happened to me when I switched from finasteride to dutasteride.

G

Slartibartfast said:
BruceLee said:

That is interesting. Can't figure out why that would happen, you??

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
Slartibartfast said:
BruceLee said:

That is interesting. Can't figure out why that would happen, you??

Damned if I know.

Maybe it's the boost in testosterone that you get from taking dutasteride?

john scrimshaw

Reaction score
Should I be on propecia

Hi, I'm a 21 year old who has recently started taking propecia (just under two months ago).

The thins I'm worried about is that I'm pretty sure I'm not fully physically developed, my face has yet to mature fully and I can't grow a decent beard to save my life!

And since DHT is responsible for driving such changes, do I really want to surpess it?

And if i shouldn't be taking it, are the any decent alternatives available to me in the UK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
dosage

what is the final verdict on 0.5mg doses? almost the same response, statistically? possibly less side-effects? mind you, I am on minoxidil, and if I could get away with reducing a great deal of the DHT with .5 I would do it for costs and side effects.

Any thoughts?

G

Re: dosage

Celtictigyr said:
what is the final verdict on 0.5mg doses? almost the same response, statistically? possibly less side-effects? mind you, I am on minoxidil, and if I could get away with reducing a great deal of the DHT with .5 I would do it for costs and side effects.

Any thoughts?

See the study on this web sites research section.

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks...i had read the main studies but not the one about the 0.2 to 5 mg as a whole. very interesting that 0.2 does almost as damn much.

bruce, what was your dosage, i think i recall you saying you went off...i am thinking about 0.5 as i am on minoxidil and appear to be a good responder as of 4 1/2 months...seems like a little kicker of 50-something percent reduction in the DHT would help me top it off.

or do you suggest just sticking with minoxidil? see, i am not sure if it is going to put me over that hump of "cosmetically acceptable" for me...i plan on keeping it short, but still, i dont want a horseshoe look.

how long were you on finasteride and what was the dosage? thanks dude. always appreciate your posts.

some dude

Reaction score
Propecia update #...3?

Ok in case anyone has been following my own personal trial on Propecia, I'll give you another update.
Alright now if you remember, when i first started taking it, i hadn't noticed any changes at all in the first, or the second month for that matter. That was a good thing i suppose, keeping in mind all the horror stories i had heard about shedding ect. On the other hand, i had also heard that a good shed was actually a sign that the drug is working.
Well I have just started my fifth month of taking a daily dosage of 1 pill per day as directed. I can say almost for certain that i have no less hair than when i started taking it. I can remember the amount of hair i shed before taking the drug, and i can say almost for certain that it was more than i shed now, which is great!
I am only 23 and have just begun to lose my hair in the front the past couple of years, so i am hoping that very soon i will be one of the lucky that will experience some re-growth. I'll come back in another couple of months and let ya'll know if it happens. Cya!

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
Propecia 0.25 mg

Hi folks,

First of all complements to HairLossTalk.com for this site. I'm lookin at this forum since the very early beginning and it's still the most informative site out there.
My male pattern baldness started when i was about 24, now i'm 29. I think it's wise to add slowly, one by one, new treatments to the regime, so you can control what's working and what's not. Unfortunatly most things will work only after a couple of months, so it takes time to learn. I think it's also good to check Pubmed regularly to be informed about new treatments and new 5-AR inhibitors. I'm starting soon with propecia 0.25 mg. This because there are studies showing 0.2mg could be almost as effective in inhibiting DHT as 1 or even 5mg. I'm not sure of the fact that a lower dose will also reduce the chances for side-effects, maybe someone knows more about that?. I will keep you posted about progress, also when there is succes,

Greetz. :freaked: