Propecia

Nelson

Reaction score
HairLossTalk Moderator wrote on Pg. 18:

"Propecia can cause a temporary Telogen Effluvium (Telogen Effluvium) in some users. This does not mean its causing hair loss. Any drug that actually works to alter the processes of the hair follicle like Propecia does, tends to have a "shedding period" associated with it. In the case of Finasteride (Propecia), there sometimes is a synchronization of the shedding and growth cycles. Follicles that were soon to enter resting phase are prematurely ejaculated (so to speak!) (sorry, couldnt resist) ... and forced into dormancy. The "shedding period" people report on Propecia almost always ends at about the 4-6 month mark. Not coincidentally, this is about the length of the dormancy phase of a follicle being afflicted by DHT. So the bottom line is, if you shed, don't fret. Ride it out. Its just a larger number of follicles entering dormancy at once than you'd typically notice. They usually go on their own schedule. Also, not coincidentally, at exactly the end of the 4th month, I saw 75 hairs all 1/8 of an inch long sprouting on my hairline. All were the exact same length, which proved the theory hands down. All went to sleep at once, all woke up at once... syncrhonization of growth and resting cycles = Propecia's Telogen Effluvium. Propecia doesn't *cause* hair loss. It stops it... if you give it sufficient time."

Give Propecia at least 6 months before expecting positive results. Good Luck.

thinman

Reaction score
finasteride-

1) this site is great, cuz i completed reading over 1k archived posts on propecia and its effects.

was the bone density issue resolved?

another question i had was the hairline issue... male pattern baldness supposedly in most cases takes years to develop and ive seen the statement that u usually lose 50% of ur hair be4 u realize whats going on, yet many ppl argue that the reason why propecia doesn't do such a great job of preserving the hairline is because of the acute sensitivity of those follicles. People who already are predispositoned to male pattern baldness, are warned not to start finasteride too early because they argue that it could cause other issues... but if u don't start too early u've already lost 50% of ur hair, and ur hairline is already being assaulted? so what gives?

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Going to Endo/What tests.

I have questions for my endo and since my ins covers the visit I'm also going to ask for bloodwork.I've been on Propecia for nearly 10 months now and figured I should get some things checked.What do you guys think I should have them check? Remeber my ins covers the bloodwork also.

Reaction score
I'm 34 yo. Frontal and temporal hair recession. Have been on Propecia for 13 weeks. Have noticed alot of thinning on top of head and vertex (where I previously had none) Shedding quite a bit. Is this Telogen Effluvium? Is it induced by Propecia?

If I do quit Propecia, will the hair that was forced to shed out grow back? At this point I'd be happy to go back to where I was before starting on Propecia.

There's alot of info about quiting Propecia and losing the hair you've grown while on it. If nothing's come in can I expect to just recover what the Propecia forced me to "shed out"?

How soon should Propecia shedding stop after quiting?

Another thing is that sexual side effects have been tough to take. Difficult to "get and keep willy awake". How long before that symptom is gone?

Thanks for any feedback

G

Took me about 6 mos to get through side effects completely. Hair is really coming on now at 18 mos.

Try using v**** to help Willy. Start with lower dosage as this stuff is potent (pardon pun).

You will get throug it. Use minoxidil and nizoral too!

Brucelee

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

So it took a whole 18 months after you quit Propecia for your hair to come back? And 6 to get through sexual side effects?

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Took me about 6 mos to get through side effects completely. Hair is really coming on now at 18 mos

I start month 10 tomorrow, so Bruce, are you saying that it's possible that I could see improvements in the next 8 months? I mean I do not really know when to say "OK this is all Propecia will do for me".

G

I don't think I was clear enough. I added Propecia to my routine about 18 months ago. At that point I was simply on 2% minoxidil. I switched to 5% and added Nizoral too.

So, for the first 6 months on Propecia, I had some minor sexual side effects which then subsided. I started to see regrowth on the crown starting at about 8 months but it has really come in full bore in last two months.

So, what I am saying is that it took me some time to get some very noticable effects but it has happened.

Need to have patience but then again, what else really holds any promise but the Big Three?

Bruclee

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Propecia

Brucelee, newbie, Mr Telogen, xzellerate....can you guys please tell me where you get your finestride?!! For some reason it seems like people don't want to answer this question.....I don't get it!
Thanks!!
Joe

G

I buy proscar from Costco and simply quarter the tablets. That gives me 1.25 MG less some loss from splitting tabs.

This is the cheapest way I have found as Costco's price is very cheap to start and of course Proscar is much less per MG than Propecia.

Hope this helps.

Brucelee

Mindfull

Reaction score
Can u continue treatment with Dutasteride after Propecia?

Having used Propecia for about a year, I think I have been able to slow down my hairloss significantly. I have not grown any new hair, though. Like many of you, I have read about another DHT inhibitor - Dutasteride (at this point no official clinical indication for it to be used against hairloss, but only enlarged Prostate) which should supposedly be even more effective than Propecia in stopping hairloss.

Does anyone know if this medication can substitute your Propecia medicine if this is discontinued? Any unwanted effects when going from one medicine to the other in this case?

Regards,
Thomas

tommo

Reaction score
When i look at the dutasteride data it refers to dht in general and scalp dht.
Does 0.5mg dutasteride reduce scalp dht more so than 1mg finesteride.Is 100%
scalp dht suppression required to completely stop hairloss.
Damn it so many questions............?

Tommo

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

BruceLee, did you need a prescription at Costco? If so:

Did your Doctor give it to you?
How long does the prescription last?
Did you have any problems with insurance covering it?

Has anyone ever ordered it internationally over the internet?

G

>>BruceLee, did you need a prescription at Costco? >>

Yes Costco requires a MD RX.

If so:

>>Did your Doctor give it to you?>>

Yes, I told my PCP what I was up to and he wrote it for me.

>>How long does the prescription last?>>

He wrote for 30 tabs times 3. Since I quarter the Proscar, that will last me a year.

>>Did you have any problems with insurance covering it?>>

I did not submit for insurance coverage. Most insurers will not cover hairloss Rx so it would be fraud to attempt to get it covered under some form of deception. I pay out of pocket for it.

>>Has anyone ever ordered it internationally over the internet?>>

I have ordered v**** over the web without an RX. Never ordered proscar that way.

Hope that helps!

Brucelee

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
One of these days I will give in and do the same. I just cannot fathom another shed or side effects again. My derm will give me Proscar if I want it. It's not that I can really afford to pay full price either.Someone convince me that the little extra finasteride in a cut pill makes no difference. :roll:

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes I know it is, and it bugs me that I spend so much on Propecia when all I have to do is chance it and cut the pills like you and many others are.I'm too a*** I guess,hehe, Gotta be exact with the dosages.Do you have a good cutter that I can pick up someplace online?

tommo

Reaction score
tommo said:
When i look at the dutasteride data it refers to dht in general and scalp dht.
Does 0.5mg dutasteride reduce scalp dht more so than 1mg finesteride.Is 100%
scalp dht suppression required to completely stop hairloss.
Damn it so many questions............?

Tommo