Propecia

G

IMHO, the results of the trials would be lower (less side effects reported) for exactly the reason you stated. Having said that, lets assume that it was really 5 times the number reported. That would still only put it at 10% or 1 in 10.

I believe that my side effects kind of faded at the six month mark and they were not all that terrible in the beginning. But, of course, each of us responds individually. I think the issue is not to look for SE nor to freak out if some arrive. Hang tough unless the impact of the SE are out of line.

Re Telogen Effluvium, I have no experience nor knowledge contribute.

Good luck

Brucelee

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Re: bruce

thinman said:
and i am afraid of a Telogen Effluvium, are there any indications why some1 would have a Telogen Effluvium.
Propecia can cause a temporary Telogen Effluvium (Telogen Effluvium) in some users. This does not mean its causing hair loss. Any drug that actually works to alter the processes of the hair follicle like Propecia does, tends to have a "shedding period" associated with it. In the case of Finasteride (Propecia), there sometimes is a synchronization of the shedding and growth cycles. Follicles that were soon to enter resting phase are prematurely ejaculated (so to speak!) (sorry, couldnt resist) ... and forced into dormancy. The "shedding period" people report on Propecia almost always ends at about the 4-6 month mark. Not coincidentally, this is about the length of the dormancy phase of a follicle being afflicted by DHT. So the bottom line is, if you shed, don't fret. Ride it out. Its just a larger number of follicles entering dormancy at once than you'd typically notice. They usually go on their own schedule. Also, not coincidentally, at exactly the end of the 4th month, I saw 75 hairs all 1/8 of an inch long sprouting on my hairline. All were the exact same length, which proved the theory hands down. All went to sleep at once, all woke up at once... syncrhonization of growth and resting cycles = Propecia's Telogen Effluvium. Propecia doesn't *cause* hair loss. It stops it... if you give it sufficient time.

HairLossTalk.com

nomadman

Reaction score
The only side effect I had when I started Propecia was an oily face. It was over almost as soon as it began. I thought it gave me boobies too, but then I stopped eating Taco Bell and my boobies suddenly vanished. Go figger. :D

Baldude

Reaction score
T\Gel

I'm currently using Propecia with T-gel twice a week. The instructions of the shampoo say to apply it, rinse, and then repeat.
Is it recommended to do so if I have thinning hair, or is more than once harmful?
Was it T-gel that was used during the FDA Propecia tests?
Is twice a week the correct amount?
And finally, do I have to use it despite I didn't have any scalp irritation before I started using it?
thanks

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Was it T-gel that was used during the FDA Propecia tests?

Yes

And finally, do I have to use it despite I didn't have any scalp irritation before I started using it?
thanks ?

I would not even use T-Gel if I had no irritation. Just keep it handy in case you ever do get any.

Baldude

Reaction score
Hmm, so you're saying I shouldn't be using it at all?
It's just that all over this forum, people say that combining any male pattern baldness treatment with anti-inflammatory shampoo gives you optimal results.
Well, it's good news I can get rid of this disturbing odor...
...uh, and s'cuse me if I'm over panicked about these things, but using T-gel until now shouldn't have any negative outcome with my hair, right?
thanks again

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
It will not hurt you at all.If you can stand the Tar smell then hey, use it once a week for good measure. If you want to try a better shampoo try Nizoral.T-Gel does dry out your hair and scalp after a while.No dry scalp usually = no medicated shampoos and personally I would not use them unless I needed them. I need them.

azsand

Reaction score
Quick update

Regarding my initial post in late October:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... &start=165

Restarted Propecia ~40 days ago, just over three years after stopping from the first time. To recap, stopped taking b/c of testical pain and loss of sex drive. Both occurred ~18 months into treatment of 2mg per day (double dosing--useless). I quit out of fear, although sex drive may have been in slight recovery. Other possible side effects experienced but not initially conneted included fatty nipples and fatty skin in parts of body.

40 day summary:

Taking 1mg / day. Missed two doses thus far. Seems to be going OK. Experienced slight pain in prostate day one or two, subsided immediately. Not certain attributed. Expreienced a few days of oily face--subsided. Sexual desire yo-yo'd a bit. First few days remained quite strong. Next week sex drive seemed quite subdued. Next week it was back, then slightly gone. Last couple weeks seems to have been fine. Able to have sex multiple times/day. No testical pain. Experienced slight pain around left nipple on and off for a few days during the first two or three weeks. That seems to have subsided during the last two weeks. Nipples often hard, but it is cold weather season. Suspect at this point it is not attibutable to Propecia.

General thoughts:

Based on my personal experience with Propecia, it is entirely too early to tell whether side effects will occur for me personally. I've started taking photos up close of different angles of skin on various parts of body and photos of hair to track history and notice any other possible side effects. If things were to stay as is, I would be pleased and happy to keep my hair. (Propecia did help me keep existing and possibly grow new hair during the first time I took it).

Will provide another update in a few months.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Both occurred ~18 months into treatment of 2mg per day

Well come on, you were taking too much so what do you expect? I'm surprised that it took 18 months for the side effects to appear.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Mr. Telogen, my girlfriend says she's scared of you with that new icon.

:lol:
HairLossTalk.com

Nelson

Reaction score
cheaper Propecia

I just got 84 x 1mg tablets of Propecia (not generic) for $115 US out-the-door. ($105 + $10 shipping).

Go to HalfOffMeds.com

All you have to do is fax or mail your prescription to them and fill out an on-line questionaire. The product was delivered to me in 7 days.

You can order a maximum 3-month supply at a time. It is cheaper then the stores and they ship everywhere in the US.

Baldude

Reaction score
Mr. Telogen:
skipping T-gel for the last few days gave me an oilier scalp, and maybe it's just me, but I also feel a bit more hair falling off, so I think I'll get back to using it twice a week.
Just one point I really want to understand:
applying it -twice- each time i use it doesn't affect my hair negatively, except the dryness you mentioned, right?
thanks again

billyt

Reaction score
propecia for sale

hi, i recently bought a propecia pro pak from this site but discontinued use due to side effects, i'm now looking to sell whats left(3 bottles of 30 1mg pills and 2 of the 7 paks) so i can get started on a more natural treatment, anyone interestred please reply or give me an email at bigmugpug@aol.com or if the website would let me return it for a different product that would be very much appeciated

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Baldude said:
Mr. Telogen:
skipping T-gel for the last few days gave me an oilier scalp, and maybe it's just me, but I also feel a bit more hair falling off, so I think I'll get back to using it twice a week.
Just one point I really want to understand:
applying it -twice- each time i use it doesn't affect my hair negatively, except the dryness you mentioned, right?
thanks again

Other than dryness I would say you will do just fine with it.

Reaction score
Shedding?

I've been on Propecia for about 10 weeks, Mostly frontal and temporal receeding. I've noticed increased hair loss for the last couple of weeks...Is this shedding? When will it stop? I've read that this may be normal - and actually a good sign. But I'm freaking out a bit.
Could Propecia actually be having a negative effect on me?

HELP and Th :( anks!!