Propecia

Nelson

Reaction score
Generic Finasteride

The first guy to get this generic finasteride please let everyone know, or if you hear some feedback from a doctor. I planned on ordering some but they won't ship to Michigan. ARGGH! And where do you get this arginine? That sounds like good stuff.

jwb

Reaction score
peach fuzz

I have seen a lot of peach fuzz growing and I think it is the finasteride i am taking but I am not sure as I am also using minoxidil. The peach fuzz arived about 3 weeks after I started 10 weeks ago and its getting longer and darker. I started using minoxidil 8 weeks ago and all that I noticed with that was a mass fall out. Does anyone have any veiws on what produced what looks like regrowth? for example can minoxidil grow peach fuzz? does all hair start as fuzz?

Nelson

Reaction score
Peach Fuzz

The "peach fuzz" is the product of some follicle's life cycle. These follicles probably produced quality hair years ago, but now DHT is taking its toll. Once they fall out (every hair on your head falls out naturally after several months) the hair that replaces it will be thicker, darker, and longer--if your medication is working.

Without effective medication, and you're going bald, the hairs will gradually be replaced with thinner, lighter, and shorter hairs.

This is why Propecia takes so long to show results. You have to wait out the life cycle of each hair, and hope the new hairs will be better quality.

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with Nelson on this...hair growth and alteration of it is a slow, torpid process that can be trying at times. As always consistency is key and so is patience.

A lot of people have put into question statements made by WSMR (or whatever their intials are) pertaining to the amount of time needed to completely regrow hair, yet I believe, aside from the fact that the peptide might not be "all that", the timeline they have given is about accurate for deminaturization of hair follicles.

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
jwb said:
ok so the peach fuzz could be a result of propecia or rogain?

either/or...maybe both.

Stick with both and it is likely you'll see that peach fuzz turn to terminal hair in due time. Maybe consider switching to Avodart for extra punch.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Starting Propecia

I have been on Minoxidil for about 1 year now, and have been impressed by the excellent results in the crown area. However, my frontal hair line is still stubbornly receiding and I am considering taking Propecia to bring this progression to a halt. A couple things concern me such as side effects, and the abillity to maintain minoxidil-grown hair with Propecia. Does anybody have any good suggestions before I add this pill to my regimen? Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

JT :D

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Starting Propecia

xzellerate said:
I have been on Minoxidil for about 1 year now, and have been impressed by the excellent results in the crown area. However, my frontal hair line is still stubbornly receiding and I am considering taking Propecia to bring this progression to a halt. A couple things concern me such as side effects, and the abillity to maintain minoxidil-grown hair with Propecia. Does anybody have any good suggestions before I add this pill to my regimen? Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

JT :D

You cannot I repeat cannot just quit using monoxidil once you start finasteride. Since the hair you grew with monoxidil was by a mechansim other than dht inhibition most if not all of those hairs you grew/maintained will be lost.

Three easy ways to combat the side effects:

arginine - recently Oxhide has stated it inhibits aromatose (the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen).

flax seed oil - controls estrogen levels due to lignans (the best is freshed grounded seeds).

Exercise - burn calories and increase muscle mass how could you go wrong?

arginine and Exercise will also combat the any sexual side effects one might experience.

So I suggest that you DO add finasteride to your regimen but also take Two tablespoons of Flax seed oil, 1g of arginine 2x a day, and indulge in an hour of exercise everyday.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ralphy! I had originally taken Flax Seed Oil in herbal capsule form before even considering going on Propecia, but will now include it along with the finasteride doses. As for the excersize, that part is covered as I strength train 5 days a week for about 2 hours, and play sports on the weekend. So that will definately continue. Any drawbacks on taking Flax Seed Oil in herbal capsule form vs the straight liquid method you mentioned? And what positive results can I expect from taking finasteride? (BTW, I have taken Saw Palmetto and Green Tree Extract in the past which slowed down my hairloss for some time, then the effects died off and I started shedding again. ) I have also heard of taking Zinc in excess to strengthen existing terminal hairs, please clarify any controversial infomation that may have been given to me. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

:D

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
xzellerate said:
Thanks Ralphy! I had originally taken Flax Seed Oil in herbal capsule form before even considering going on Propecia, but will now include it along with the finasteride doses. As for the excersize, that part is covered as I strength train 5 days a week for about 2 hours, and play sports on the weekend. So that will definately continue. Any drawbacks on taking Flax Seed Oil in herbal capsule form vs the straight liquid method you mentioned? And what positive results can I expect from taking finasteride? (BTW, I have taken Saw Palmetto and Green Tree Extract in the past which slowed down my hairloss for some time, then the effects died off and I started shedding again. ) I have also heard of taking Zinc in excess to strengthen existing terminal hairs, please clarify any controversial infomation that may have been given to me. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

:D

Well the best way to take the flax is by purchasing the seeds and grinding them in a coffee grinder. I have yet to try this, but the reason being is there is a higher lignan content when it is ground fresh. Personally, I would change to the liquid just because it has a higher lignan content than the capsules.

As for zinc, I really don't have much experience with it (will have to some research!).

Saw Palmetto Extract is not something I would recommend take by itself (doesn't seem to be strong enough by alone). I take it will finasteride 320mg a day and I believe it has its benefits.

I prefer to get my green tea benefits from drinking green tea. It's cheaper and in my opinion just as effective.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
I truly appreciate your reply and I am pleased to see these website communities that unite us unfortunate 50% of the male population to let us know that we are not alone!

I am going to pick up my prescription for Finasteride tonight along with some flax seed oil to begin my new regimen. I will post any results or side effects every once in a while, or as they come. (Hopefully I will be one of the 5 out of 6 males that this works for. :lol: )

As a last question, should I begin Propecia with .5mg to "break in" my endocrine system, and then up the doses as my body adapts? Or start full flank on the recommended 1mg dosage, and then suspend if any side effects or excessive shedding are experienced?

Either way, I will continue my daily intake of saw palmetto and green tree extracts as these two have been proven to improve the visible appearance and quality of my hair.

Tommorow will be my first dose guys... wish me luck! :?

Thanks

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't have any problems starting with 1mg a day (no excessive shedding or side effects) but that's me.

For monetary reasons I suggest you get a prescription for proscar and then cut the pills into forths! Doing this will save you a lot of money in the long run.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea Ralphy, but I heard you need to ask your doctor to prescribe it to you for prostate maintenance (as that is the true purpose of Proscar), and that is the only way for medical insurance to cover it. Hell, if I can save 100% of the cost on Proscar, I don't mind "prostate maintenace" to appear on my medical record, as long as I'm saving a whopping $50.00 a month. What are your opinions and how did you get around your doctor for your Proscar prescriptions?

BTW, I heard you need to cut the Proscar pills into 5ths unless you want an overdose of +.25mg. This I find very difficult to do and in my opinion, is not worth it unless serious side effect is experienced. Have you have any drawbacks from the 1.25mg intake?

Peace...

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I could be at advantage since I am going to school to be a doctor and my Dad is an OBGYN but I just flat out told my PCP that I intended to split it up to save money and she condoned it.

My advice is to be straightforward with your doctor and if they deny you then go the internet route for the prescription. Yes you'll pay more but the savings will be well worth it.

Yes, you can TRY to cut it into fifths but I find it difficult enough just getting it into fourths proportionately (I really need to invest in a pill-cutter). Anyway I think the .25mg is basically negligible

And now, I started out on propecia and after two months switched to proscar. I haven't noticed any difference with side effects (being none).

diskobox

Reaction score
How long have you been on Propecia/Proscar Ralphy?

It's good to hear you aren't experiencing side effects.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Ralphy, since I already recieved a pretty good deal from my neighbor pharmacist on Propecia, I am going to use my first month supply up and then consider Proscar. Explain your results in a detailed way if possible. I am aware that you haven't experienced any side effects which is a breakthrough all on it's own. Now what possitive effects have you underwent? (Hair loss stoppage, regrowth, better hair quality, etc...)

Hear from you soon Ralphy...

:p

paulo

Reaction score
I saw a post at HLH commenting the sensibility to DHT that hair folicle develop after some years on Propecia (4-5). Dr. Proctor answered that it really happens, and hair starts to be attacked by DHT like never before. So, it would be better stop propecia and let hairs fall naturally.

Does it make sense???

Any comments?

Thanks (sorry for english mistakes)

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
i'd like to see what Proctor has to back his claims up, that is more substantial and compelling than the Propecia 5-year study results....it's professionals "opinions" like that, based on nothing, that spread myths round hairloss forums and create unneccesary panic

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry...thought we were all wrtiting BIIIG :oops:

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
paulo said:
I saw a post at HLH commenting the sensibility to DHT that hair folicle develop after some years on Propecia (4-5). Dr. Proctor answered that it really happens, and hair starts to be attacked by DHT like never before. So, it would be better stop propecia and let hairs fall naturally.

Does it make sense???

Any comments?

Thanks (sorry for english mistakes)

Dr. Proctor has NEVER said that happens...His theory invovles hyperandrogecity that subsides within the first couple weeks at most!

Even if he did say that I wouldn't believe him (since it contradicts other notable studies and personal experiences), but I know for a fact he has never said that so there is nothing to fret about.