Propecia

azsand

Reaction score
Interesting

Richlocks, how long ago did you restart? How long did it take before the side effects resurfaced? Sounds like we may be part of the 1%.

I don't recall a bloating in the face. But...I was taking a lot of Creatine at the time and working out five or six days a week. The Creatine helped me pack on quite a bit if muscle, but it is also known to increase water retention in the muscles and for me, also in the face. I've noticed my face gets sort of puffy while on Creatine, which goes away shortly after I stop taking it. That's why I also initially attributed the fatty issues to Creatine and weight fluctuation rather than Propecia. I now believe this was a side effect of Propecia.

The gyno is my primary concern, because as you stated, it takes so damn long to return to normal (~2 years). I've learned I can handle a month or two with decreased sex drive or no sex, as long as I can see the light at the end of the tunnel by just stopping the drug. The 2 year light is not close enough to see. Nothing like being a balding guy with tits and stretch marky/cellulite like legs when you don't have to be that way (exagerated a bit, but its the picture that counts) .

One thing I thought was sort of odd was that it took over 12 months for the first side effects to appear. That's part of what is driving me to give it a go again. Of course, I was not looking for the side effects and may have seen them earlier if I had. I also think you can look too hard and see side effects that are only in your mind.

I've seen people report taking medicines to counter the side effects (L Argenine, Flax seed oil, whatever). I'm not a believer in non-prescription, non-FDA approved, non-doctor-recommended things (snake oil to me), but I'd consider it if I knew more about it. Even if it only helped psychologically, it might be worth it.

I asked my Doctor about taking other drugs to counter the side effects. For instance, logic might imply if I could take an estrogen blocker and v**** I'd be as good (or better) than normal. He slammed the door shut on that idea without giving it a thought, and probably for good reason when it comes down to it. Too much tinkering with natural hormone balance etc.

I plan to give it one more fighting chance--keeping to a lower dosage. I've heard the side effects will probably occur regardless of dosing, but I've also read gyno effects occurred more in 5mg Proscar subjects than in 1mg Propecia subjects, which would imply dosage does matter. Of course, I don't know if the source of that info was reputable (read it on a medical site somewhere). If true, it would stand to reason .5mg might cause less side effects than 2 mg, which is what I was taking before. Also, I did not pay any attention to what time of day I took the pill, and the side effects started to happen a short time after I was forced to stop working out after 10 years of being a workout maniac. I'm thinking that may have had some effect on my hormone balance (I have no medical background so this is total speculation).

This may a lot of wishful thinking, but I think its worth one last ditch effort to avoid further hairloss. And hey, if it does not work now, I'd rather be a slightly balding, healthy and in shape guy with rock hard wood and a passion for luvin ladies under the covers than a cellulite leg havin, no sex drive kind of guy with a pretty full head of hair. As I said at the beginning of my first post, I'll face it and move on and live a happy life without much hair on my head if I have too. I'm just not the type of guy to give up without fighting 100% to the end for something I would want if I could have it, and I'm not convinced I've done that here yet.

On a side note, I'm using Xandrox now (minoxidil plus azelaic acid as a topical DHT inhibitor). Since my scalp reacts negatively to Propylene Glycol, the formula is very heavy on scalp and hair. I'm also concerned about hypopigmentation, so I'm considering switching back to just the minoxidil. Wish I had more feedback on whether anyone has had good or bad experience with Xandrox including hair reaction and possible skin bleacing/pigmentation side effects. Being a bald guy with a splotchy bleached white scalp, cellulite, and tits is an even less appealing picture :!:

Will keep you posted on success.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Azsand,

Yea I wish i started on a lower dosage during this second round. I was stupid to start at 1mg again.

I'm down to .5mg a day, and i'm thinking of going lower.

My left breast is bigger than my right one.. Did you get any of this assymetry? I really hope this isn't permanent cuz during my first round of finasteride i don't think i ever got this side effect..

My sex drive is pretty dead and it's hard to get an erection.. I don't know how much longer i'll go on .5mg before i decide to drop it to .25mg.

With all these side effects and my hair still looking like crap i've been very tense lately.. It's hard to relax. After reading some of the dangers that may be associated with long term finasteride usage (osteoperosis, neuralogical effects, etc)..I'm getting scared even using this stuff. I probably should get off of it and move on, but like you I want to give it all I can..

I feel tired and shitty lately.. but I don't want to attribute this to the finasteride..

How long did it take for you to see results on finasteride? I've been on it a bit over 4 months and daily loss is definitely down but i don't see any improvement cosmetically.. if anything it looks like things have gotten worse.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Richlocks,

I have been on Propecia for almost 4 months (second go, I was on it for 4 months early in the year before a short break)...I also don't see much hair loss when I shower etc..but my front/hairline has been devastated during the period that I take the medication. Scary thin now...about 1 inch back. With all the possible known side effects (and those unknown) I think I am quitting. Propecia has been a bad experience for me and my hairloss got way way worse while taking it. Although all posters and doctors say Propecia can't make hair loss worse the fact remains for me that I have seen a dramatic turn for the worse this year and the only change I made was taking Propecia. While it helps most people, I can't see why it can't hurt some.

Maybe you should consider quitting as well?

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Homer,

The extra bit of thinning doesn't bother me that much.. I'm fairly sure it can't make you lose more hair.

You should probably stick it out for a year and see what happens..

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
stretch marks on my *** cheeks

"stretch marks on my *** cheeks" .LOL sh*t sorry I had to laugh when I read this one. Years ago I used to pump Iron regularly and I got stretch marks on my ***, legs, knees, pecs,let me look......mmmmmm well I have quite a few.Do you really think the propecia did that?Who knows, screwing with your hormones can probably do it but you both pump iron right?I also think that one reason for my b**ch tits is the fact that I had nice firm large pecs and now I'm out of shape so the skin had to go someplace.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Conundrum,

If you use to lift and now you have b**ch tits, it's cuz of the finasteride. I don't buy the "it's cuz i don't work out anymore".. Not for me at least.

I don't lift enough to get stretch marks.. my stretch marks are white.. they are really weird.. but it's definitely from propecia.. Screwing with your hormones can do all sorts of crap.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes but I had them before the Propecia too and now that I read all this nightmarish sh*t on here I look at them all the time and wonder if they are getting worse.

azsand

Reaction score
Richlocks, I'd give it up on it now without question. You've given it the 100% and then some. Sounds like you're no longer happy. I'm guessing you'll be very happy when you finally decide to give up and move on. If you spend too long worrying about your hair situation, it will become an obsessive nightmare much worse than reality which is really not that bad. Sounds like worrying about Propecia at the same time is driving you there. Plus, I'm guessing it just does not work for you, as it probably will not for me.

Last time I used it, it took about 8 to 10 months to noticeably work, and I had kicked up to 2mgs per day at the 5 or 6 monh mark. And no, I did not have disproportionate breast size at all. I attributed tit fat to getting out of shape after working up to a 315lbs bench press with hard pecs then quitting workouts altogether. The troubling part was the cellulite. It was not typical girlish cellulite, it was slightly pock marked or dimpled skin in areas of fatty lined skin. Often it only showed up if squeezing the skin or sitting on a leg press machine. After reading about gyno, I drew he connection.

That could also happen to me naturally. I would not know b/c I was a stick my entire life until building up muscle, aging, and eating massive amounts of unhealthy food. I've since changed my workouts and my eating habits. Down from 235lbs to about 190 and liking it very much. As far as I'm concerned, huge muscles are going the way of the mullet. With all the roids and Creatine out there, everyone and their brother is starting to look the same. And considering anyone that knew karate could have kicked my *** when I was big anyway, it was just misleading and difficult to keep up. I just care how I feel and what the ladies think. I feel great and they like it.

As for nightmarish side effects, I would not say this was nightmarish. None of my girlfriends ever even noticed (as far as I know), and I had great luck with women while all that was going on too. It was mainly just something I did not like myself--although I could live with that and a full head of hair (almost an even tradeoff). I looked at a calendar, and it did take that almost 3 years to go away completely. Keep in mind though, I also stopped taking Creatine towards the latter end of that period and cut the excess weight. So again, they may or may not be related.

The testical pain and lack of sex drive on the other hand was very real and frustrating. It was mainly scary b/c I did not know what was happening. My sex drive remained unchanged for the first 1.5 yrs. I quit after a few weeks of those problems (18 months into taking Propecia) and within 4 to 8 weeks those two departments were back to normal. I've read other comments from people indicating that is about norm for recovery after quitting.

I had several things happen at once (nearing 30, weight changes, workout changes, Creatine use, stress level changes, moving around the country, etc.) and I don't know which caused what. It may be as simple as Propecia having caused it all or most of it. This one last chance should clear up any doubts for me. Hoping it works, but I'm now guessing I've got about a 10% chance rather than 25%, after reading a few other side effect stories and seeing richlocks comments.

Later.

azsand

Reaction score
By the way, no offense to anybody that enjoys bodybuilding. It was just not right for me anymore, b/c my reasons no longer existed. I was fighting the skinny kid I saw in the mirror and trying to impress the ladies with what I thought was the desired look. Skinny kid has grown up (and wants to be a thin man), and I've found plenty of hotties that could care less about the muscles. If you enjoy bodybuilding, more power to you.

Peace.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Azsand,

I'm not gonna quit until I see that a .25mg dosage with results and lack of side effects is not possible.

I do not have pockish type deposits in my upper legs and ***.. it's more like stretch marks.. white marks.. but it's all still firm. So I don't know what that's all about..

The only thing that is bothering me is the gyno.. i'm feeling.. unbalanced.. and yea I feel like sh*t but the thing is so was losing my hair.

At this point, my hair loss has decreased pretty dramatically.. I feel lots of little hairs growing.. even tho over all appearance of my hair is a bit worse. I want to give it time to see the potential.. if side effects get worse , or don't cease within a month or two.. then i'll drop to .25mg.. if they dont' cease then.. then i'll have to call it quits.

azsand

Reaction score
Glad to hear different skin explanation--reduces the chances either are related to Propecia (but does not eliminate the chances). I can live with it easier if I don't think I'm voluntarily creating more problems for myself in the name of vanity. (Of course its also easier to live with since its gone.) Good luck then. Keep posting the results. I'll drop in from time to time and do the same.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
RL if you decide to stay on it and your tits do not go away you could be extream and get them remove with surgury.Many men that have this problem without propecia have had it done but that's yet another risk to your health.I'm seriously unhappy aout the shape of my pecs at the moment.Like hair loss the more you look at it the more horrible it looks to you.At this point you know for sure why you have them and for me I'm very uncertain.I was in great shape years ago, got real FAT, lost weight,got fat again and I'm an old fart trying to keep my hair and get back in shape.Your young so never let yourself go becuase once you do it's a b**ch to get back.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Gynecomastia from Propecia 1mg

OK, who has had Gynecomastia from using Propecia. How long before you noticed it after starting?Did you have fatty pecs prior to using it?What did the docs say?How old are you,Hight,weight build etc.Also does Green tea raise the estrogen levels at all?

Edge

Reaction score
Informal Poll:

I would like to know if anyone has been on Propecia more than 3, 5, 7 years? Any comments on the results you get?

Theoritically speaking, could propecia help me maitain my hair for the next 20 years?

Thanks

Edge

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr Lee's prices

#031 1mg finasteride capsules
NOT AVAILABLE TO RESIDENTS OF U.S.A. 30 capsules
One month supply per bottle $25.00

Makes me wish I lived outside the USA for that price.

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
if you read it a bit further it actually says "not available to residents of United States, or countries where Propecia has been approved", which is pretty much everywhere now i think...

however Dr.Lee has told me he will still ship them to the UK, as such a small package gets through customs easily, and they have no clue what finasteride is if it came up behind them, pulled their trousers down, stuck their finger up their arses and sang "The Finasteride Song"...whose opening line is "I am fi-nas-ter-ide, i've been sent to your coun-try, even though the pro-per prescri-ption drug is alrea-dy approoooooved here da da deeeee da oooooo" or something like that

Marc

Reaction score
Propecia side effects? Oh Yes...

I read this discussion with great interest, as I try Propecia for the 2nd time.

I am 27, and tried Propecia when I was last 25. I didn't really want to try it at first because it was so expensive, and it also sounded like a real chemical b**ch to be giving your body every day. However, I thought if it worked then that would really be all - as long as it didn't have any nasty side effects. I had tried most other things by that time anyway, so was running out of things to try!

Only a minimal % showed any side-effects, Merck said in their trials. Well, I can tell you for sure that finasteride gives me (at least) pretty bad side effects. It kind of takes about a couple of weeks on it to get bad, but I end up with watery semen with a kind of 'gel' in it. Which I can only assume is 'dried' prostate juice that has been overproduced, as a side-effect of the finasteride. Trouble with that is you don't really want to be shooting non-liquid stuff from your end really do you? Well I certainly don't! 8O

So I've stopped again, after about 2 months. And virtually the next day after stopping all side-effects vanish, and definatley was back to normal within 48 hours at the most. :eek:

So guys, any ideas? I use a DHT removing shampoo and organic DHT (oral) suppessor anyway, so perhaps I don't need to use Propecia anyway? Or perhaps reducing the dose from 1mg of Pro. to 0.5mg would sort this side-effect out? However, would it work as well at half the dose?
:?

I really wanted to try the combo of minoxidil + Finasteride for at least 1 year so that I could really see if it was working for me. But I certainly can't stick those effects till the 3-4 month mark to see if they go away, like Merck tend to say might happen.

However, I've not really lost much hair for probably over 2 years now, in fact, in the last couple of months (since starting minoxidil again) I'm pretty sure the frontal hairline (which is the only hair with a problem!) has been getting better (even thought minoxidil. isn't supposed to work well at the frontal area). In the time it's been getting better Propecia won't have had time to work, so I doubt very much my recent improvement is down to finasteride in any significant way.

As my combo of DHT rem. shampoo + organic DHT reducer appears to at least stop my hair loss, and using minoxidil. appears to stimulate hair growth for me - should I really bother to try Propecia again? :?:

diskobox

Reaction score
Re: Propecia side effects? Oh Yes...

Marc said:
I read this discussion with great interest, as I try Propecia for the 2nd time.

I am 27, and tried Propecia when I was last 25. I didn't really want to try it at first because it was so expensive, and it also sounded like a real chemical b**ch to be giving your body every day. However, I thought if it worked then that would really be all - as long as it didn't have any nasty side effects. I had tried most other things by that time anyway, so was running out of things to try!

Only a minimal % showed any side-effects, Merck said in their trials. Well, I can tell you for sure that finasteride gives me (at least) pretty bad side effects. It kind of takes about a couple of weeks on it to get bad, but I end up with watery semen with a kind of 'gel' in it. Which I can only assume is 'dried' prostate juice that has been overproduced, as a side-effect of the finasteride. Trouble with that is you don't really want to be shooting non-liquid stuff from your end really do you? Well I certainly don't! 8O

So I've stopped again, after about 2 months. And virtually the next day after stopping all side-effects vanish, and definatley was back to normal within 48 hours at the most. :eek:

So guys, any ideas? I use a DHT removing shampoo and organic DHT (oral) suppessor anyway, so perhaps I don't need to use Propecia anyway? Or perhaps reducing the dose from 1mg of Pro. to 0.5mg would sort this side-effect out? However, would it work as well at half the dose?
:?

I really wanted to try the combo of minoxidil + Finasteride for at least 1 year so that I could really see if it was working for me. But I certainly can't stick those effects till the 3-4 month mark to see if they go away, like Merck tend to say might happen.

However, I've not really lost much hair for probably over 2 years now, in fact, in the last couple of months (since starting minoxidil again) I'm pretty sure the frontal hairline (which is the only hair with a problem!) has been getting better (even thought minoxidil. isn't supposed to work well at the frontal area). In the time it's been getting better Propecia won't have had time to work, so I doubt very much my recent improvement is down to finasteride in any significant way.

As my combo of DHT rem. shampoo + organic DHT reducer appears to at least stop my hair loss, and using minoxidil. appears to stimulate hair growth for me - should I really bother to try Propecia again? :?:
i would start on a topical inhibitor, ie revivogen or crinagen, and try .5MG finas. if that still has unwanted side effects, go down to .25MG. if you still are getting side effects, then just hope the topical DHT inhibitor will do its job.