Propecia

Pal

Reaction score
Have been splitting Proscar into 1/4s for the last year...Does any one know if the efficacy of Finasteride is reduced through contact with air. By the time I consume the last prtion it has been in contact with air for 4days???
Cheers and best of luck all

Earth

Reaction score
I just asked my doctor and the answer is no. So, don't worry about it. :D

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
you can also store the cut pills in an airtight bag or container :wink:

G

One thing to note, finasteride should be kept in your closet in something, I use to keep mine on top of the fridge, and the doctor said it can hinder the medication, because of the temperature, same if it's kept above the stove in a cupboard, etc.

Pal

Reaction score
I am currently paying $95 for 30 proscar tablets to be shipped to me in the UK, that amounts to about £60 for me. Does any one know where I can buy cheaper Proscar (I would prefer to stick to proscar than go for any of the other generics just yet). Thanks and best of luck to u all

Exl

Reaction score
Cutting proscar

Hiya guys!

I've been reading these forums a bit earlier but now i finally decided to register myself.
I wanted to ask for your advice in few matters considering me.
I'm taking now only 1/4 proscar, mostly because i've been too lazy to consider any further treatments.
Now, however, i've noticed it doesn't help too much to take _only_ proscar and decided to get some nizoral too. What difference does it make if you use nizoral 1% comparing to nizoral 2%?
And how often should they be used ?

And then another thing.
At the moment I have a simple piller cutter. It's very hard to make equad quarters with the cutter (since the pills are pretty bitchy shaped :wink: ).
How crucial is it to make the quarters similar? I mean does the irregular size of the dosage make a big difference? How harmful is it for the treatment ?
I've been thinking of a possibility to crush the pill and try to divide the powder into four parts.
How do you cut them ?
Thanks already!

Ps. Please try to tolerate my crappy english. Since i'm not a native english speaker I most likely will do a lot of "bad english" :D

Earth

Reaction score
Nizoral, 1 or 2 % it's suppose to do the same effect but the study was done with the 2%. If you are from the U.S, You'll need a prescription to obtain the 2%.

As for Proscar, I make my first cut with the pill cutter and then I do the other cuts with a razor blade. It's much easier that way.
:lol:

Exl

Reaction score
righty..

Hehe thanks for your reply Earth!
No offence but I coulnd't help noticing that "If you are from U.S". I've always known you people living in North America aren't always very much aware about the existence of the rest of the world but still I thought that "Scandinavia" next to the word "location" under my name would ring a bell :D :D . Well if there's somebody else who doesn't know, for the record I will tell that Scandinavia is located in Northern Europe. It's a common name used for such countries as Norway, Sweden and Finland.
And no, we don't have any polar bears here either :wink: .
However my location is insignificant and what's important is the matters I earlier highlighted.
Still I would like to know how big difference does it make if the dosage isn't exactly the same sized every day?

duhh

Reaction score
propecia/proscar

Exl,
No it doesn't matter in the long haul. And I hate that people from other parts of the world are stereotypical of people from N. America. Yeah it was kinda funny :lol: that "Earth" didn't realize where Scandinavia was (actually he/she/it probably didn't pay attention to "location:") but that doesn't mean we aren't aware of the rest of the world - we just don't care! :lol: j/k of course

Earth

Reaction score
Believe me or not, I didn't look at the location. It's weird coz I really said if you're from the US but never thought of looking just beside your post. And I knew where was :lol: Scandinavia!

hairybastard

Reaction score
Not Again....

Exl,
I've always found it facinating that there are so few people in Europe who are intellectually honest enough to acknowledge the creative and intellectual superiority of North America rather than just automatically participate in this ridiculous jealous banter. But hey, whatever makes it easier right? Concerning your question, it isn't important that the dosage is precisely the same everyday because your DHT serum levels remain considerably suppressed even after a number of days off the drug.

duhh

Reaction score
Propecia dosage

I have seen alot of people talking about increasing their finas. dosage to 5mg and then coming back down because of side-effects. Here is a study that will tell you again what you should know by now, that there is very little difference in .2mg of finas. and 5mg aside from the side-effects. In addition to the graphs that Bryan posted some time ago about the dht suppression being something like 8hrs I would say the most economical, and most beneficial (less side-effects for those experiencing them and near equivalent positive benefits) would be to split the dosage and take .5mg in the morning and .5mg in the evening. That's my somewhat educated opinion. Anyway here's the article which isn't the full abstract but states the pertinent information I'm trying to convey...

METHODS: Men with androgenetic alopecia (N = 249) underwent scalp biopsies before and after receiving 0.01, 0.05, 0.2, 1, or 5 mg daily of finasteride or placebo for 42 days. RESULTS: Scalp skin DHT levels declined significantly by 13.0% with placebo and by 14.9%, 61.6%, 56. 5%, 64.1%, and 69.4% with 0.01, 0.05, 0.2, 1, and 5 mg doses of finasteride, respectively. Serum DHT levels declined significantly (P <.001) by 49.5%, 68.6%, 71.4%, and 72.2% in the 0.05, 0.2, 1, and 5 mg finasteride treatment groups, respectively. CONCLUSION: In this study, doses of finasteride as low as 0.2 mg per day maximally decreased both scalp skin and serum DHT levels. These data support the rationale used to conduct clinical trials in men with male pattern hair loss at doses of finasteride between 0.2 and 5 mg.

This was an experiment done by an independent (as far as anyone can tell) source, the University of Oklahoma (could be wrong on the Oklahoma part but that is irrelevant to the matter). :twisted:

Earth

Reaction score
Yeah but I also head that finasteride stays in the body for a week. So, why take propecia twice a day then? 8O

duhh

Reaction score
Earth, you may have heard that and that may be true, but the finasteride that is "in the body for a week" is suppressing dht to an unacceptable limit if at all. The near MAX suppression with near MAX benefits with the least Possibility for side-effects (for those experiencing them) would be, IMS(somewhat)E(educated)O, .5mg 2x's a day. Bryan how about you bust out those charts again?

Earth

Reaction score
hairybastard, I really don't know but the thing is, I just switch from propecia to proscar and on the box, the pharmacist worte, " One pill everyday at the same time" And also " No alcohol while taking this drug". But he didn't know I was gonna split the pill in 4.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hairybastard,

You need an avatar. Oh the fun I would have with that one!!!

Don't deny your creative side!

HairLossTalk.com

travelman

Reaction score
2 years improving then 2 year losing hair

I NEED HELP FAST.

age=25 yrs
losing hair quickly in temple area (sides) - thinning hairline

i was on minoxidil 5% for 2 yrs which stopped my hairloss. then on my 3rd yr it seem liked it stopped doing what its supposed to and my hair started falling out again.
i am now on propecia for 9 months on top of my minoxidil 5%.

can anyone help me out on what i can do to at least stop my hairloss?

thanks,
travelman