Propecia, Proascar, Finasterine [Newbie]

Guth

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 23 years old, and I think I've always had a widows peak, which has never really bothered me that much.. However, I'm starting to see noticeable thinning in the widows peak area (sides of the front part of my hair)... as a child I had really really thick hair, so these changes are really pronounced. My grandpa on my mom's side was completely bald by age 30, so genetics may not be on my side... I also believe I have a lot of testosterone.. I have body hair, gain muscle mass really easily, and have a deep voice, and unfortunately from what I've heard testosterone contributes to hair loss..

A week ago I saw my dermatologist, and while he advised me to wait before trying medication, he did suggest it down the road.

He listed a number of meds I could take (in the topic title: Propecia, Proascar, Finasterine).

I have a few questions about these drugs; mainly regarding side effects:
1) Sexual side effects? I've read there's a chance of irreversible sexual changes... on wikipedia, so not sure how accurate it is. What about loss of sexual interest or erectile dysfunction (I'm 23... don't think this will be an issue but who knows).

2) Since I believe these drugs are testosterone inhibitors, what are other side effects? Decrease in muscle mass? Higher voice? Loss of body hair? (I definitely would not mind this, cause I'm hairier than average, and it would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone).

3) What would be the effects if I were to use the drugs, and then stop using them?

Anyone who knows anything about the drugs or has experience with them, ANY and ALL comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hoppi

Reaction score
They're not testosterone inhibitors :)

Actually, also before we continue, they are actually all one drug!

The drug is called "Finasteride" and it works by... it inhibits the enzyme that converts testosterone into another male hormone which is the one that actually really damages the hair - DHT. Funnily enough, the hair follicles actually have this enzyme (called 5-alpha reductase) in them as well, so as you can imagine, a drug that inhibits it is very effective in reducing the DHT that the follicles get exposed to.

However, yes of course in a.. noteworthy percentage of men there are side effects, but it does seem that most (say 80-90%) can take it without too much (or any) problem. Additionally of course it is possible to vary one's dose should you find a certain dosage is simply too high (and you get sides), but this of course reduces the effectiveness.

For the vast majority it seems finasteride is tolerated well, and does a good job at often stopping and sometimes even regrowing after hair loss :)

Oh, and Propecia and Proscar are just branded forms of Finasteride!

Additionally, the other 2 components of what most people refer to on here as the "big 3" are nizoral shampoo (which calms and reduces testosterone and DHT activity in the scalp) and minoxidil, which is a very powerful growth stimulator. It's the active ingredient in products such as Rogaine.

The path you choose is really up to you :) The most potent single treatment is probably finasteride, so perhaps if you want to start it give it a try, and use your own judgement to decide if you want to start on a lower dose (say 0.25mg a day) and work up later to 0.5 or 1.0, or start on a higher dose and go lower if you experience any side effects.

Sides are usually just temporary while you take the drug, but there have been tales of longer term or potentially permanent sides, but this is very rare. It is for this reason however that I suggest people start on a lower dose, and keep an eye out for side effects, just to be on the safe side!

Hoppi :)

Guth

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

So Propecia/Prosascar are DHT inhibitors? Does that mean if I take them I won't lose my ability to build muscle mass? Or does DHT play a role in that as well?

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
Guth said:
Thanks for the reply!

So Propecia/Prosascar are DHT inhibitors? Does that mean if I take them I won't lose my ability to build muscle mass? Or does DHT play a role in that as well?

Those who experience side effects from this drug experience a total collapse.:

Dht is vital to almost everything in the body and depleting it can cause:

depression, feeling dead, lack of focus, lack of excitement, shrivelled genetalia, reduced ejaculate, lack of sexual interest, reduced muscle mass, feminization of your whole body, which includes stomach fat and gynocomastia(breasts). Also skin will appear dull, and eyes baggy, look 10 years older. Also trouble focusing eyes due to lack of caring about anything.

Some foolish people say this is BS and iits in peoples head, but I experienced it first hand. Check out propeciahelp.com and know that there is a very real risk of ALL these sides happening to you. Might be after one pill, might be after 4 years of taking the pill. My doctor didnt even warn me of ANY sides when she prescribed this junk.

However I did grow all my hair back on the drug, so if it is worth the risk for you try it out. Please note that experimenting with dosages will likely not have an effect on sides experienced.

And yes there was a study that found that there is a chance of PERMANENT sides. That is not only restricted to sexual sides, but the brain fog etc...Some people even stop losing there hair permanently coupled with the other permenent sides.

Guth

Reaction score
Okay, I understand that, there's a chance, but I would imagine that those side effects are really rare. My dermatologist said none of his patients who were taking it had any real issues.

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
G k said:
And yes there was a study that found that there is a chance of PERMANENT sides. That is not only restricted to sexual sides, but the brain fog etc...Some people even stop losing there hair permanently coupled with the other permenent sides.

What's that study?

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Never heard of "lack of excitement" being a side effect from a drug. Gotta say that's a new one!

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
FSHGLD said:
G k said:

What's that study?

http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXWVTStnHs

Thickandthin said:
Never heard of "lack of excitement" being a side effect from a drug. Gotta say that's a new one!

Well thats my way of saying no motivation for the things I was once interested in, as well as not being interested in anything including women.

Its not bs.

cuebald

Reaction score
been on the med for a year and a half, no problems here.

Some of these anti-finasteride crusaders seem to have psychological issues, one of them accused me of being a Merck employee because I said I've had no problems on Finasteride...

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
cuebald said:
been on the med for a year and a half, no problems here.

Some of these anti-finasteride crusaders seem to have psychological issues, one of them accused me of being a Merck employee because I said I've had no problems on Finasteride...

Why are you being a jerk?

I fully encourage people to try the drug, I rave about its benefits, and I acknowledge that a lot of people can use the drug without side effects, and I envy them.

What more do you want?

For many others the drug is life destroying but as is the way with many pharmaceuticals.

F off! You're the nut!

Timmysee

Reaction score
I don't think he was aiming that post at you, G k.

In your original post though, you say that people who experience side effects have a 'total collapse'. That's not always, or even usually, true. I realise that you had a bad time on the drugs and I've seen you post about it a lot, but scare mongering is not the way to help people. Side effects from finasteride quite often are not life changing when they occur, and in a lot of cases will pass given a little time.

Also, change in dosages doesn't help? It helped me and I've seen it help a lot of other people. Of course it affects the way finasteride will work against male pattern baldness, but it's a trade off.

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
Timmysee said:
I don't think he was aiming that post at you, G k.

In your original post though, you say that people who experience side effects have a 'total collapse'. That's not always, or even usually, true. I realise that you had a bad time on the drugs and I've seen you post about it a lot, but scare mongering is not the way to help people. Side effects from finasteride quite often are not life changing when they occur, and in a lot of cases will pass given a little time.

Also, change in dosages doesn't help? It helped me and I've seen it help a lot of other people. Of course it affects the way finasteride will work against male pattern baldness, but it's a trade off.

Yeah I apologize for being touchy about it. I wish I could take it side effect free...I just honestly don't know how people can go side effect free while depleting their DHT...Makes no sense, and I wish they would come out with some studies on that.

Androgen deprivation is no joke!

Timmysee

Reaction score
I think it probably has to do with the nature of the side effects. If they come on gradually or mildly then they may not be so obvious or devastating.

The desperation/denial a lot of people seem to fall into probably has something to do with it, too.

I guess it all depends what the individual is willing to go through for hair.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I've been on it for just over 3 weeks..started May 16 I think.

I had a good amount of "ball ache" for about 5 days, then it started to decline and was pretty much gone.

I am 100% normal...sex drive fine, no mental difficulties or "fogging", etc. Even been making great gains working out.

Given that most people have no real side effects I see no reason I will have any. If I do I'll report them.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
G k said:
FSHGLD said:
http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=2002[/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXWVTStnHs[/quote:2l3i8mab]

Neither of those are medical studies. And neither of them mention "brain fog," or any non-sexual related side effect. Those links simply describe a warning that the Swedish Medical Products Agency decided to put underneath the actual listed side-effects of Finasteride. They are not proven, and certainly not in the realm of what is considered a medical study. Nice try though...

I am not sure where you got the idea that people stopped losing their hair permanently either. It seems that a quick fact check should be in order next time you try to inform other people?

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
Neither of those are medical studies. And neither of them mention "brain fog," or any non-sexual related side effect. Those links simply describe a warning that the Swedish Medical Products Agency decided to put underneath the actual listed side-effects of Finasteride. They are not proven, and certainly not in the realm of what is considered a medical study. Nice try though...

I am not sure where you got the idea that people stopped losing their hair permanently either. It seems that a quick fact check should be in order next time you try to inform other people?[/quote]

I know what I've read, and I know what I've experienced myself. I'll inform whoever the hell I want. Get lost!

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
Seriously, what the hell is 'Brain Fog', does it have a medical name? Have any reputable doctors or academics suggested that finasteride may cause permanent side effects? And correct me if I'm wrong, but, don't the warnings say, 'Permanent sexual side effects have been reported', not 'may cause permanent sexual side-effects'?
I can't help but feel slightly skeptical about this, when the drug has been around for nearly 20 years and AFAIK, no link has been proven? Could it have something to do with the fact that us finasteride users are likely to be fairly anxious people in general?

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
FSHGLD said:
Seriously, what the hell is 'Brain Fog', does it have a medical name? Have any reputable doctors or academics suggested that finasteride may cause permanent side effects? And correct me if I'm wrong, but, don't the warnings say, 'Permanent sexual side effects have been reported', not 'may cause permanent sexual side-effects'?
I can't help but feel slightly skeptical about this, when the drug has been around for nearly 20 years and AFAIK, no link has been proven? Could it have something to do with the fact that us finasteride users are likely to be fairly anxious people in general?

I havent completely given up on finasteride, and Im not an anti finasteride nut...

But trust me, brain fog is real, and its even worse than the sexual sides.

Its called androgen deprivation, and although you arent depleting ALL of your DHT, it still hurts! I honestly dont know how some escape the sides, but if u are one I envy you, because I regrew about 95% of my hair on finasteride. I cannot verify that permnent sides are real, but I can say that many people took months and years to get back to normal. Fun!

http://www.prostate-cancer.org/educatio ... m_ADS.html

Even tho this is testerone deprivation, DHT is not any less important. Some say its even more important. BUt the sides are almost identical!

Im not doctor or scientist, I just know what this drug did to me, and I was surprised as hell cause I thought no way it will happen to me! Luckilly I feel pretty good now after 2 weeks discontinuation.