Propecia Not Working after 6 years - Starting Avodart -

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
propecia doesn't stop balding, rather it just slows it down drastically

there will eventually come a time when your balding visibly resumes because the accumulated "balding force" has outpaced the medicine

so you have these choices

1. stay on finasteride, accept the recession, and take comfort in the fact that the finasteride is at least slowing it down, and that without it, you'd be totally bald

2. upgrade to dutasteride

3. add in topical minoxidil or oral minoxidil

that's it

if I were you i would just go with # 2

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score

there will eventually come a time when your balding visibly resumes because the accumulated "balding force" has outpaced the medicine

1. stay on finasteride, accept the recession, and take comfort in the fact that the finasteride is at least slowing it down, and that without it, you'd be totally bald

that's it

Do you think there's any benefit to be gained from increasing finasteride dosage from 1mg to 2mg?

Doingitright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think there's any benefit to be gained from increasing finasteride dosage from 1mg to 2mg?
Minuscule benefit if any at all but increased risk of sides, dutasteride would offer more benefits but again the trade off is possibility of sides. I added dutasteride into my regime once a week alongside my daily finasteride and it made a massive difference.

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

that's it

Definitely experienced that after years of use. That's why I always cringe when people profess to stop their hair loss with finasteride and go to get their hairline packed with grafts

tinolaboy96

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I think a lot of big sheds after years of finasteride use is normal and it usually grows back.. hear me out..

Iv been on finasteride for going on 4 years and had major sheds like 5 times or more… the last one was so bad that I hopped on dutasteride because I thought finasteride had stopped working. This happened just this year..

My hair is like a NW1 because I caught my hair loss early, but when I go through these sheds I lose a sh*t load of density. It has always came back though. Anyways, this last big shed I had was so bad I got on dutasteride for 6 months thinking it would help.

Throughout this 6 months I took my 1mg finasteride as well every single day. The dutasteride made my hairline start receding, and my hair was still noticeably thinner and shedding heavily. My libido was also through the roof. Finally stopped taking the dutasteride 2 weeks ago, and my hair quality went back to normal and is thick and finasteride is working again… this leads me to think that I was just experiencing a major shed.

My point is, sometimes people freak themselves out and f*** with there regimen, instead of waiting and seeing what happens. I hopped on dutasteride thinking it would help me because I thought finasteride stopped working, in reality the dutasteride made my hair look like sh*t. I took the dutast and the finasteride together and as soon as I stopped taking the dutasteride, my hair got thick again and finasteride is working again. Iv had 4 other major sheds since being on finasteride…

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never seen too many cases where switching to dutasteride significantly made a difference.
Well isn't dutasteride much stronger? Hypothetically, it should be more effective (for better and worse) at blocking DHT. So if someone doesn't respond to finasteride well, isn't it logical to try dutasteride given its greater potency?

Doingitright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well isn't dutasteride much stronger? Hypothetically, it should be more effective (for better and worse) at blocking DHT. So if someone doesn't respond to finasteride well, isn't it logical to try dutasteride given its greater potency?
I think one concern people have is the effects suppressing too much DHT has, I am not hugely knowledgable on the topic but there is evidence to suggest that T can cause recession on the hairline as well and dutasteride can whack T into elevated levels.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
In theory yes. If male pattern baldness was all about DHT, then dutasteride would be the cure. But unfortunately so far it has not proven to be the cure. It's always worth a try. I did try it myself but got more sides and saw no significant difference. If it's your last chance than go for it. However, your loss is rather advanced.

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
In theory yes. If male pattern baldness was all about DHT, then dutasteride would be the cure. But unfortunately so far it has not proven to be the cure. It's always worth a try. I did try it myself but got more sides and saw no significant difference. If it's your last chance than go for it. However, your loss is rather advanced.
Well, while it isn't the cure, isn't it the best thing that there is? I am really curious to know what % of people benefit from it compared to what % of people actually have it accelerate their T levels and worsen things.