Propecia does not cause Depression

G

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depression circumstantially related to the administration of finasteride for androgenetic alopecia.

Department of Dermatology, Ospedale Maggiore IRCCS, University of Milan, Italy.

In this paper we report 19 patients (14 males, 5 females; mean age 28.16 years +/- 7.68 SD) out of a series of 23 (17 males, 5 females) who developed a mood disturbance (moderate to severe depression) during treatment with finasteride, 1 mg/day orally, for androgenetic alopecia (Hamilton subtypes III-V; Ludwig subtypes I-II). Depression, which significatively impaired sociofamilial relations, sleep and eating behaviour, was associated to marked anxiety in some cases, developed after 9-19 weeks of treatment with finasteride, and promptly resolved after suspension of the drug. Two patients accepted reintroduction of the drug, and depression relapsed within 2 weeks. Depression as an adverse effect of finasteride has been reported only once. Further studies are needed to confirm our circumstantial observations, which are based on a retrospective series of patients.

Taken from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... d_Abstract

I think those saying categorically that it doesn't cause depression, don't know what the heck they are talking about.

Scaramanga

Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more mate. I personally battled through a variety of side effects with propecia for 2 and a half years, before the darkness of depression took over. I used to take 0.25mg of propecia only 3 times a week and on those days I could feel the depression sweep over me 5 or 6 hours later. Anyone who has suffered depression will know this is a cursed place to be. It is only when one breaks free from it and looks back that one can truly realise how miserable one was.

No doubt about it for me, propecia can cause depression. Any of you new users who wish to disagree, be my guest. I was like you once, with a steadfast believe in psychosomatic side effects and the FDA study. However, if there are any propecia users out there struggling emotionally, give it a break for a while and see how much better you'll feel.

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
5 alpha reductase (5AR) is an enzyme which comes in two forms, type I
and type II. It not only converts testosterone (T) to
dihydrotestosterone (DHT, a ketone), it also converts progesterone to
allopregnanolone and deoxycorticosterone (Doctor) to tetrahydroDOC (THDOC),
both allosteric enhancers of the GABA(a) receptor (e.g., they increase
the effectiveness of inhibition signals relayed along GABA channels in
nerves). The second stage of this conversion is performed by
3alpha-hydroxysteroid oxidoreductase.
from http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/neur-sci/2004-August/058929.html

I suffered depression for sure. I even cried few times without knowing why. I had high progesterone in the blood while on propecia as well. All of that was gone after quitting the med. Btw, I did have high progesterone levels in the blood while on the med.

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
i think its true that propecia can cause depression for some people. i have been really depressed for a long time but just thought it was due to many other factors im my life. a few weeks ago i cut down my propecia dose and after a few days i noticed i was feeling really good despite the fact that i was now losing a huge amount of hair. normally seeing that much hair come out really makes me feel lousy but it didnt seem to bother me and i was generally feeling a lot better about things. but i got concerned that that lower dose was causing me to shed so i started taking the full dose again. it has been a few days now and im feeling terrible again. depression and social anxiety is back and im worrying a lot about my hair again. i think its more than a coincidence....

Anderz

Reaction score
It is known that hormonal changes can cause depression etc.

AAS users often report a feeling of well being while having higher levels of androgens in the system and the oposite while recovering (low levels of androgens).
Also, lots of women are feeling sad (or other mood shifts) when taking female sex hormones.

Finasteride does indirectly increase your estrogen levels as well as lowering the amount of androgens. So imo, it's not unlikely that finasteride can cause depression in some individuals.

(Excuse my bad english...)

bartolin

Reaction score
bookmark this thread all you that are having a break off propecia and report back if you feel better.

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
I am 21 years old and I have been on finasteride for nearly 2 years. I have never been diagnosed or seen a doctor about depression but tbh since I started taking finasteride I have increasly felt kind of depressed and hard to motivate myself. I have become really introspective and I am spending far too much time in my own company. But you could argue what balding 21year old guy wouldnt be depressed? I would go as far as saying that I have about 50% of the motivation now than at the time when I wasnt taking finasteride. I find impossible to motivate myself now, but there are days, weeks even when I am full of energy and as reasonably happy as can be.

I have considered switching over to dutasteride but I fear it might carry a greater risk of depression?

Anderz

Reaction score
If the depression is due to hormonal changes, there is a higher risk that dutasteride will make you more depressed.

JJ1980

Reaction score
bartolin said:
bookmark this thread all you that are having a break off propecia and report back if you feel better.

It's been 2 months since I quit that crap and my mind feels 100 times better...

i refuse to ever touch that stuff again.

MusicMan

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm new here but I had to jump on this subject. I have taken finasteride 2 different times and the side effects have been horrible. I do believe it causes depression. Being a psychologist as my profession I am very in tune with my emotions, I have notice huge changes in mood each time I start this stuff. Also the sexual side effects are wretched. I'm thinking about sticking it out seeing that the sides are said to go away, but due to the nature of my work, I do not have time to be in a alter state of mood for much longer. I will give it another week and then I might try something else. I don't see how dutasteride would be much different considering it changes the body chemistry even more dramatically than finasteride.