Propecia does not cause Depression

Robmyster

Reaction score
I noticed embedded in a couple other topics under side effects, people mentioning varying degrees of depression and related them to their use of propecia.

I can say personally it seemed to have caused me to fall into serve depression for the entire 2.5 years or so I took it. I started taking propecia right before I closed down a business I had for 5 years and laid off 20 people. So I suspected that caused me to feel blue and soon after emersed myself in an online game to get away from life for a while. But soon I slid into a deep dark hole for a couple years noone could bring me out... I even wrote a suicide note a couple times, but couldn't go through with it although I continued to think about suicide daily. After 2 years (while still taking propecia) I quit the online game, thinking the 15 hours a day playing that didn't help depression much, but still it persisted. FINALLY I quit taking propecia due to other side effects like wrecking my sex life, causing bad pain in my testicles and the formation of a small tumor in my scrotum. 3 months later I felt like a million bucks. The sexual side effects mostly vanished and my depression had mostly subsided. After 6 months off the drug I felt so happy I can't even explain and was tackling the world again like 3 years prior (before I took them nasty little pills).

Sure I lost the hair gains I had made because it DID work for me on hair regrowth; but I can NEVER get them 3 years back I lost. If anyone else had similar side effects, please post; I wan't to know. I don't know why I never put 1 and 1 together because a few times I quit taking Propecia for a few weeks and I did feel slightly better each time I quit. At least for me it did seemed to be directly connected which sucks--especailly since it took me almost 3 years to figure out!

imissmyhair

Reaction score
about a month after starting finasteride i started developed feelings of strong anxiety randomly and slight constant depression where i felt kinda numb kinda like in a haze as if i just woke up but stayed constantly "cloudy thoughts" almost

nothing had changed in my life durring this time except starting finasteride and i still have a decent head of hair just some diffuse thining i have/had nothing to get depressed about im pretty realistic about hairloss so i believe its the finasteride messing with my mind :wink:

i droped it down to .5mg daily seems not as bad anymore

Britannia

Reaction score
Your depression is not related to your Propecia use. Period.

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, for real, you are losing your hair, that's what's depressing you. I swear, the lengths people will go looking for sides.

mogadon

Established Member
Reaction score
not true, messing about with hormones 'can' effect mood, ask bodybuilders who f*** about with there hormones,ask men who suffer with low testosterone and need trt, ask women who suffer with pmt, i guess there making it up :roll:

take a a dht based hormone like proviron and you can and often get a massive sense of well being, along with increased sex drive,decreased body fat, more energy, just ask many people who have taken it

so of course doing the opposite inhibiting dht, will course mood problems in certain indviduals, you are essentially messing about with your natural hormone balance

just because YOU have not suffered a particular side effect, doesnt mean other people havnt,

i understand there is really not a need to make such a thread about it,specially his first post, which always looks suspect, but im sure its true

mogadon

Established Member
Reaction score
wet grundle said:
"Your depression is not related to your Propecia use. Period. "

"yeah, for real, you are losing your hair, that's what's depressing you. I swear, the lengths people will go looking for sides. "

I love these ignorant assholes who post $#iT like this. The only thing you people know about Propecia is what the FDA tells you and (more to the point) what you've read on this forum. You have no expertise on the subject whatsoever, yet you make these declarative statements with this tone of authority. Newcomers will read your bullshit, take it as Gospel truth and be completely misinformed, which is contrary to the purpose of this forum.

Listen very carefully dipshits, he took Propecia for 2 years, was very depressed, quit, and now he isn't depressed. Take your bullshit, generalized, misinformation and shove it up your asses. Just because Propecia isn't SUPPOSED to cause depression, doesn't mean it didn't happen. If he reported this, it HAPPENED, why on Earh would he lie about it? If he was so "depressed about losing his hair," why would he be posting now about how happy he is, now that he stoped taking propecia and is LOSING HIS HAIR AGAIN?

I'm so sick of having to read through uninformed $#iT. LISTEN TO ME, if you don't know what the f*** you're talking about, DON'T POST ANYTHING! If you read something on another thread don't re-post it as if you're a doctor giving the final word. QUALIFY your posts appropriately, to give readers some sense of reference.

Instead of saying "Propecia doesn't cause drepression," say "I've heard.." or "I thought that.." or "I'm a f****ing idiot and don't know my *** from my face but..."

I know the 1st ammendment gives EVERYBODY the right to say things in public, but at least this way we'll know who to listen to.

lmfao good post, there's so many patronising twats on here,who feel the need to talk down to people, one day i hope there nutsack falls off, and i 'll tell them they must be making it up, cos it aint in the patient information bullsh*t list of merks 2% side effects

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cause and effect. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. And if you don't think hormonal fluctuations can affect mood, then perhaps you've also never made contact with a premenstrual woman.

cruiser

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride absofuckinglutely CAN cause mood swings, loss of libido, watery jizz, etc etc...... anybody that saya it does not just because THEY did have sides is a dumbass period, end of story. it just depends what you can tolerate personally :roll:

Robmyster

Reaction score
I see a few people flamed me pretty hard and a few were supportive. I thought forums were for discussion and support, but to some I guess they are not. I took the time to post what I did simply because in my case propecia did cuase me serve depression. At least with the way my body reacted to it, I was lost in depression for the better part of 3 years and a few months after I quit it had subsided. Now, I still feel like a million bucks and haven't taken it for well over a year. Well--that is just my experience, but have noticed many posts on different sites sharing the same experience I had with the drug so decided to sign up and post.

Good luck to anyone that takes it and it doesn't cause mood swings or some sort. It does work for sure--I had hair regrowth in spots where it was really thin. The sexual side effects listed on the bottle are true too!!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Thank you Robmyster for your experiences. I completely agree with your assertion that Propecia may have impacted a certain degree of depression on you. In some ways, I feel that Propecia did just that to me. I'm now taking Dutasteride, which hasn't compromised anything in comparison to Propecia. I am experiencing more frontal regrowth, less side effects, and an overall "less cloudy" kind of thought process. Anyway, that's just my story. Are you doing anything to maintain your hair now, or are you letting it run its course?

mogadon

Established Member
Reaction score
what happened to wet grundle's post did he delete it,or was it removed, if removed why ?

if it was removed what a f*cking joke !

its in my quote anyway.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Robmyster said:
I see a few people flamed me pretty hard and a few were supportive. I thought forums were for discussion and support, but to some I guess they are not. I took the time to post what I did simply because in my case propecia did cuase me serve depression. At least with the way my body reacted to it, I was lost in depression for the better part of 3 years and a few months after I quit it had subsided. Now, I still feel like a million bucks and haven't taken it for well over a year. Well--that is just my experience, but have noticed many posts on different sites sharing the same experience I had with the drug so decided to sign up and post.

Good luck to anyone that takes it and it doesn't cause mood swings or some sort. It does work for sure--I had hair regrowth in spots where it was really thin. The sexual side effects listed on the bottle are true too!!

I believe a certain mindset has developed from the top to the bottom here. I'm often startled by those who put so much faith in the FDA, or how much intolerance and anger a reasonable, yet contrary, opinion or fact creates. But then the last remaining forum participants seem to be those few hardcore followers willing to walk in lockstep, and the newbies that have yet to be frightened away. So if you're looking for support or to share your personal experiences, there are probably better places than this one.

But yeah, Finasteride caused depression in the first year for me... or in the very least, it created strange feelings that I had never before encountered. This is coming from someone who was never depressed before taking Finasteride. But this depression makes sense when you consider how much your hormones levels change, all while your prostate is shrinking in size. It's probably similarly bizarre to someone going through puberty in adulthood, or menopause in your adolescence. :)

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
I can see how it is possible to experience depression because of finasteride, I just do not see it as likely. A drug that treats something so emotionally staggering like hairloss, and that has some scary known (albeit scarce) side effects of its own is bound to freak people out a little. When the mind is looking for sides, it is very capable of inducing them. Psychosomatic illnesses have been well documented.

I'm sorry that finasteride caused you to be depressed. Am I positive that it did? No. Can I prove it did not? No. I just want people to be aware that the mind exerts a powerful influence over the body.

mogadon

Established Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Robmyster said:

I believe a certain mindset has developed from the top to the bottom here. I'm often startled by those who put so much faith in the FDA, or how much intolerance and anger a reasonable, yet contrary, opinion or fact creates. But then the last remaining forum participants seem to be those few hardcore followers willing to walk in lockstep, and the newbies that have yet to be frightened away. So if you're looking for support or to share your personal experiences, there are probably better places than this one.

But yeah, Finasteride caused depression in the first year for me... or in the very least, it created strange feelings that I had never before encountered. This is coming from someone who was never depressed before taking Finasteride. But this depression makes sense when you consider how much your hormones levels change, all while your prostate is shrinking in size. It's probably similarly bizarre to someone going through puberty in adulthood, or menopause in your adolescence. :)

agreed ! unfortunately we have a few people on here, that have taken it upon them selves to be some sort of GOD of this forum and some unfortunately are from my country,rest assurred we are not all patronising twats like that in the UK. anyone would think these guys are f**king world renowed dermatologists,
its like you cant even ask a genuine f*cking question about a side effect, without being accused of making it up, or "its all in your mind" or some sort of f*cking conspiracy against propecia,

what was so wrong about wet grundle's post,what the fact he tells it like it is,and to ban that is pathetic.

so i will say this in response to these people, propecia CAN cause depression in certain indivduals - period !

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
Robmyster, thanks for sharing.

I'm on propecia for 7 months. I've never had side effects, at least that's what I thought. I was just tired all the time. After 6 months I started feeling a deep depression. I remeber I was crying a few times without being able to explain why. I couldn't do 1 + 1.

I switched to taking 0.5mg a day. After only 3 days I felt great! I was so happy, wasn't tired, and had so much energy and new ideas. No more foggy brain. Sex drive was sky high. I did my girl friend about 5 times a day. Boy, was she happy. After so much time with no morning woods, I came up in the mornings so hard I almost lost an eye! It was then when I realized how bad was my libido was for such a long time (though erections were always hard as a rock).
I'm positive that propecia has caused all of this.

After 10 days the sides came back. Not as bad as it was though. I'm waiting to see what will happen next.

Also, I've done some tests showing I had an inscrease in some hormones. I'm pretty sure it's related to finasteride. I will see an endocrinologist (sp?) to find out more.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
momo said:
Robmyster, thanks for sharing.

I'm on propecia for 7 months. I've never had side effects, at least that's what I thought. I was just tired all the time. After 6 months I started feeling a deep depression. I remeber I was crying a few times without being able to explain why. I couldn't do 1 + 1.

I switched to taking 0.5mg a day. After only 3 days I felt great! I was so happy, wasn't tired, and had so much energy and new ideas. No more foggy brain. Sex drive was sky high. I did my girl friend about 5 times a day. Boy, was she happy. After so much time with no morning woods, I came up in the mornings so hard I almost lost an eye! It was then when I realized how bad was my libido was for such a long time (though erections were always hard as a rock).
I'm positive that propecia has caused all of this.

After 10 days the sides came back. Not as bad as it was though. I'm waiting to see what will happen next.

Also, I've done some tests showing I had an inscrease in some hormones. I'm pretty sure it's related to finasteride. I will see an endocrinologist (sp?) to find out more.
Keep us updated.

JJ1980

Reaction score
I wonder if age has to do anything with it. Do you know the age group that the propecia study was done with? I've read somewhere that younger age groups are much more affected by changes in testosterone and estrogen. Maybe all these people getting severe side effects are due to their young age? Just a theory.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
i personally know of a guy who suffer from depression, fog of the mind, bad memory after taking finasteride. he does not know the result for around 1year and live with it until he read it in another forums that finasteride might be the cause. after he stopped his treatment, he got better within a few days to a week. for his case, i doubt it really deal to his mind playing trick on him as for around 1year while he suffer from depression, he didn't even though that the possibility is finasteride. also the side effect goes off after he stopped finasteride. too much of a coincidence.

bartolin

Reaction score
Glad (well. not really glad, you understand) to see others with the same experience. I also started to suffer depression and social anxiety the month after starting proscar, now after 1,5 years of daily proscar and unexplainable mental symptoms I´m going to take a break to see if I see changes. I´ll report anything worth.