Propecia and Pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
MEMBER QUESTION:
I am currently using Propecia for hair loss and we are trying to conceive. I know that my wife should not touch or take Propecia, but is there anything else I should be worried about? Can I pass Propecia to her via my sperm?

MARKS:
Excellent question. Yes. The active ingredient in Propecia is very, very dangerous for a growing fetus and any man who is trying to father children should not take Propecia.

Something you need to know: the vaginal Ph is designed to kill sperm. When a man ejaculates, the semen clumps, protecting the sperm from the hostile vaginal environment while the semen changes the Ph to make it a positive happy place for sperm.

http://www.webmd.com/content/chat_trans ... 111347.htm

Pondle

Reaction score
Re: Propecia is very, very dangerous!

Sounds like very poor advice - many men have fathered healthy children while taking Propecia. This guy just needs to read the prescribing information. This issue has been discussed many, many, many times before.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score

This issue really scares me too, as I'm on finasteride and my wife and I have "pulled the goalie", so to speak. Are there documented cases at all of a baby having any sort of defects due to the male taking finasteride??

kento

Established Member
Reaction score

Damn from yesterday i'm on propecia :( btw when u plan to have kids simply stop taking propecia for some period of time.

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score

Pondle said:
Sounds like very poor advice - many men have fathered healthy children while taking Propecia. This guy just needs to read the prescribing information. This issue has been discussed many, many, many times before.
I have yet to see anyone on propecia have kids!

most guys on propecia are so worried about there hair they are timid around girls so I doubt they will be getting laid unless they are married.

but I havent seen to many studies of guys who are on propecia concieve on it I know some of them have trouble getting a girl pregnant while on it. And most of the guys on propecia already had kids and are around 35-up/.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score

Propecia have nothing to do with sterility (correct me if i'm wrong), all bad sides from propecia are permanent that mean that they will gone after you cancel. So i guess 2-3 month propecia free is ok to make kids.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score

TonyTheTiger said:

As far as I am aware, Spex has just fathered twins, I am not sure if he stopped using propecia before trying but I know he has been taking it for a long time.

Also do you think the topic title should say 'is propecia dangerouse when trying for kids?' I shat myself thinking there was hard evidence to prove it was dangerous.

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score

kento said:
Propecia have nothing to do with sterility (correct me if i'm wrong), all bad sides from propecia are permanent that mean that they will gone after you cancel. So i guess 2-3 month propecia free is ok to make kids.

I am confuse.

Pondle

Reaction score

TonyTheTiger said:
most guys on propecia are so worried about there hair they are timid around girls so I doubt they will be getting laid unless they are married.

I have a long-term girlfriend and a normal sex life. Many Propecia users are regular guys with regular jobs and normal relationships.

but I havent seen to many studies of guys who are on propecia concieve on it I know some of them have trouble getting a girl pregnant while on it. And most of the guys on propecia already had kids and are around 35-up/.

As Lucky says, Spex recently fathered twins, and other guys who've had kids while using finasteride have posted on this board in the past. A number of pregnancies in the partners of study subjects occured during the clinical trials and they actually were more frequent for patients on finasteride than on placebo.

The prescribing info says...

The in utero effects of finasteride exposure during the period of embryonic and fetal development were evaluated in the rhesus monkey (gestation days 20-100), a species more predictive of human development than rats or rabbits. Intravenous administration of finasteride to pregnant monkeys at doses up to 800 ng/day (at least 250 times the highest estimated exposure of pregnant women to finasteride from semen of men taking 1 mg/day, based on body surface area comparison) resulted in no abnormalities in male fetuses.

s.a.f

Reaction score

TonyTheTiger said:
Pondle said:

Loads of guys on the forums have had kids on propecia. The Dr who supplies mine has had 3. I've yet to see a thread where someone posted about hteir kid being born with abnormalities.

G

Let's lay odds on TonyTheTiger being bald and bitter and wanting everyone else to be the same way?

I'll start at 1 to 1-taking money now.

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score

JayMan said:
Let's lay odds on TonyTheTiger being bald and bitter and wanting everyone else to be the same way?

I'll start at 1 to 1-taking money now.

lol

dude I am taking proscar in 4ths right now for 2 weeks already.

I am just saying I never seen anyone on here who said they had kids I have seen some say they had trouble having kids.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score

TonyTheTiger said:
lol

dude I am taking proscar in 4ths right now for 2 weeks already.

I am just saying I never seen anyone on here who said they had kids I have seen some say they had trouble having kids.

Dude, having kids is more important for me than my hair. But i don't think that propecia have anything to do with that. If u plan to have kids quit propecia for some period, if there any proven research that propecia can affect negative on reproduction i will quit for sure. Even i'm only 2days on :jump: don't scare me

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score

if there any proven research that propecia can affect negative on reproduction i will quit for sure.

viewtopic.php?p=402947#p402947

Spermatozoa and Chronic Treatment with Finasteride

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/conten ... 630~db=all

-------------

Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of the 5 reductase enzyme originally approved for the treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy and also for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) in men at a dose of 1 mg/day.

We report on three cases of young men recruited at our Centre for Male Infertility who had used finasteride for five years. Semen quality was investigated by light microscopy to evaluate sperm concentration and motility.

Sperm morphology was performed by transmission electron microscope (TEM) and the data were analyzed. The presence of Y microdeletions was investigated by PCR. Meiotic segregation was explored by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH).

Patient 1 was azoospermic, patients 2 and 3 showed a normal sperm concentration and severely reduced progressive motility. TEM analysis revealed altered sperm morphology consistent with necrosis and FISH data revealed elevated diploidy and sex chromosome disomy frequencies.

This examination was repeated 1 year after the men had suspended the use of finasteride, without receiving any other treatment. A recovery of spermatogenetic process was observed.

Motility and morphology improved whereas the meiotic pattern did not change presenting elevated diploidy and sex chromosome disomy frequency.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score

joseph49853 said:
Ouch. Glad to have stopped when I did.

Too small of a sampling to really infer anything.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score

retropunk said:
joseph49853 said:
Ouch. Glad to have stopped when I did.

Too small of a sampling to really infer anything.

I stopped because my own sampling demonstrated serious side effects. This was after a period of almost five years taking finasteride, so it's certainly not a knee-jerk reaction. I was tired of the lack of feeling and dulled sensation during sex, and dry climaxing, among other things. Many people don't realize just how crucial the prostate is for proper sexual function. There aren't many drugs who as effectively alter the composition of the prostate either. 90 percent of ejaculate volume comes from the prostate. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score

Mew said:
if there any proven research that propecia can affect negative on reproduction i will quit for sure.

Spermatozoa and Chronic Treatment with Finasteride

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/conten ... 630~db=all

-------------

Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of the 5 reductase enzyme originally approved for the treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy and also for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) in men at a dose of 1 mg/day.

We report on three cases of young men recruited at our Centre for Male Infertility who had used finasteride for five years. Semen quality was investigated by light microscopy to evaluate sperm concentration and motility.

Sperm morphology was performed by transmission electron microscope (TEM) and the data were analyzed. The presence of Y microdeletions was investigated by PCR. Meiotic segregation was explored by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH).

Patient 1 was azoospermic, patients 2 and 3 showed a normal sperm concentration and severely reduced progressive motility. TEM analysis revealed altered sperm morphology consistent with necrosis and FISH data revealed elevated diploidy and sex chromosome disomy frequencies.

This examination was repeated 1 year after the men had suspended the use of finasteride, without receiving any other treatment. A recovery of spermatogenetic process was observed.

Motility and morphology improved whereas the meiotic pattern did not change presenting elevated diploidy and sex chromosome disomy frequency.

Damn!

why did they FDA approve it? I think I will stop again this is scary! So basically the sperm was deformed?

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score

why did they FDA approve it?

Big pharma [Merck] = $$$ in FDA pockets, perhaps? Naw... never...

Considering the drug can leave some men in a near/complete hypogonadal state, often with irreversible sexual side effects after discontinuation, however rare, I'm not sure how they could have approved it either.

But wait, of course they approved it! Maybe this is why?... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42016
Or (watch until very end)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJomeak4V4
Hmm.. and isn't this interesting... http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/21/us/21 ... ref=slogin

So basically the sperm was deformed?

Sure sounds that way, doesn't it?

Listen up: The FDA doesn't give a F--- about you, and Merck only cares about your $. That is the cold, hard reality. It's all a business, you are expendable and nothing but a statistic to them.

You need to look out for YOURSELF in this life, READ AND LEARN what you are doing to yourself by ingesting this medication, this 4-azasteroid/synthetic Testosterone analogue that operates, and has been classified as, an anti-androgen (even though they claim it's not) -- via inhibition of 5AR-II, DHT, and subsequent inhibition of various 5AR-derived neurosteroids.

Not to mention the possibility of an increased grade of prostate cancer down the road, should you get it, or the fact that Finasteride shrinks and causes progressive loss of function of your prostate/reduces vascularity via cell apoptosis (death), due to lack of DHT, or can affect nitric oxide production/nerves/erection capability, since NO is mediated by DHT, or the fact that lack of androgens (DHT) has been implicated in fibrosis of the corpus cavernosum (penis), or the fact that an altered estrogen/androgen ratio due to increased Estradiol via finasteride's upregulation of Testosterone can lead to gynecomastia and in some cases, breast cancer... or the fact the drug is metabolized extensively in the liver's P450 cythochrome system and has lead to increased liver enzymes/damage in some men, or has been linked with depression, or has been found to cross the blood-brain barrier, or can lead to depleted Allopregnanolone levels in the brain and interference with GABA-A receptors, causing anxiety and other mental issues... or any number of other problems related to this drug's mechanisms of action.

And gee... don't some of these side effects sound familiar?
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... d=16985883

YOU are the one who will pay the price if things go wrong, not them, unless you can prove it was due to Merck's incompetence and lies via a lawsuit. The FDA approved it with the caveat that the long term risks on fertility are UNKNOWN, not to mention everything else that goes along (and may go wrong) with changing your hormonal profile to match that of a pseudohermaphrodite -- for "cosmetic purposes" only, of course.

I suggest you do some serious READING so you understand what you are playing with, beyond the marketing BS of Merck's advertisements and the Propecia-pushing pundits of this website. Here's a good palce to start:

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score

Mew said:
why did they FDA approve it?

Big pharma [Merck] = $$$ in FDA pockets, perhaps? Naw... never...

Considering the drug can leave some men in a near/complete hypogonadal state, often with irreversible sexual side effects after discontinuation, however rare, I'm not sure how they could have approved it either.

But wait, of course they approved it! Maybe this is why?... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42016
Or (watch until very end)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJomeak4V4
Hmm.. and isn't this interesting... http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/21/us/21 ... ref=slogin

[quote:9w43f5xv]So basically the sperm was deformed?

Sure sounds that way, doesn't it?

Listen up: The FDA doesn't give a F--- about you, and Merck only cares about your $. That is the cold, hard reality. It's all a business, you are expendable and nothing but a statistic to them.

You need to look out for YOURSELF in this life, READ AND LEARN what you are doing to yourself by ingesting this medication, this 4-azasteroid/synthetic Testosterone analogue that operates, and has been classified as, an anti-androgen (even though they claim it's not) -- via inhibition of 5AR-II, DHT, and subsequent inhibition of various 5AR-derived neurosteroids.

Not to mention the possibility of an increased grade of prostate cancer down the road, should you get it, or the fact that Finasteride shrinks and causes progressive loss of function of your prostate/reduces vascularity via cell apoptosis (death), due to lack of DHT, or can affect nitric oxide production/nerves/erection capability, since NO is mediated by DHT, or the fact that lack of androgens (DHT) has been implicated in fibrosis of the corpus cavernosum (penis), or the fact that an altered estrogen/androgen ratio due to increased Estradiol via finasteride's upregulation of Testosterone can lead to gynecomastia and in some cases, breast cancer... or the fact the drug is metabolized extensively in the liver's P450 cythochrome system and has lead to increased liver enzymes/damage in some men, or has been linked with depression, or has been found to cross the blood-brain barrier, or can lead to depleted Allopregnanolone levels in the brain and interference with GABA-A receptors, causing anxiety and other mental issues... or any number of other problems related to this drug's mechanisms of action.

And gee... don't some of these side effects sound familiar?
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... d=16985883

YOU are the one who will pay the price if things go wrong, not them, unless you can prove it was due to Merck's incompetence and lies via a lawsuit. The FDA approved it with the caveat that the long term risks on fertility are UNKNOWN, not to mention everything else that goes along (and may go wrong) with changing your hormonal profile to match that of a pseudohermaphrodite -- for "cosmetic purposes" only, of course.

I suggest you do some serious READING so you understand what you are playing with, beyond the marketing BS of Merck's advertisements and the Propecia-pushing pundits of this website. Here's a good palce to start:

viewtopic.php?p=402947#p402947[/quote:9w43f5xv]

damn I agree iwth you man didnt merck have a drug pulled off the shelves?

its all about money and getting you on the comeback! thats why they dont find cures they find temporary relief its legalized drug dealing and the big pharms are the pusher.

imagine if everyone was cured after a few treatments? those people who provide the health would be out of a job! and not getting paid there handsome salary as long as there is people in need they will be in business.

scary.

so what do you do for hairloss then?

Status
Not open for further replies.