Propecia @ 7 years

6_Uptown_NYC

Reaction score
Hi Guys - I've been using Propecia (1 mg every other day) for a little more than 7 years. Started Propecia when I was 27, I am now coming up on 35. It worked great for me - no side-effects and excellent maintenance of existing hair.

In the past few months, I've noticed thinning on top. Wondering if it's time to either move to daily Propecia and/or start Rogaine.

Question for any "long-term" (5+ years) Propecia users - have you guys hit a wall in terms of Propecia effectiveness? Any regimin changes that helped? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks guys.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
6_Uptown_NYC said:
Hi Guys - I've been using Propecia (1 mg every other day) for a little more than 7 years. Started Propecia when I was 27, I am now coming up on 35. It worked great for me - no side-effects and excellent maintenance of existing hair.

In the past few months, I've noticed thinning on top. Wondering if it's time to either move to daily Propecia and/or start Rogaine.

Question for any "long-term" (5+ years) Propecia users - have you guys hit a wall in terms of Propecia effectiveness? Any regimin changes that helped? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks guys.

is propecia ALL that you used for hair loss? Why would you use it every other day?

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
In your case the only sensible answer is to up the dose to 1mg each day. This should work perfectly for you. People do this when 1mg doesn't work for them too..

Check out Bernstein Medical center. They got some good advice in a similar direction. Also Spencer Kobren uses 5mg EOD...

Great story btw, good luck!

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1 thing you can do if you dont want to increase internal side effects from meds, is nizoral 2% shampoo. It' removes/deactivates dht. It must be used every 3 days or twice a week. It WILL cease some (or maybe all of that shedding). If you'd like, you can use 3 x's a week.

Pair that with rogaine or a topical hair grower (miconazole helps with growth i haven't seen regrowth yet, in case rogaine you can't use).

If you want to go the internal route, you can add saw palmetto extract (either the gel pill form or liquid) at at least 320mg a day once or twice.

Or you can do ur current med at every day but say...halfen it. Or increase it.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
there is no real evidence that saw palmetto does anything for hairloss.

And *IF* it does it is via the same or similar mechanisms as propecia. Just because its natural doesnt mean you want get sides. Or that it want add to propecia sides effects or possible side effects.

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
If i was on your place..i would start rogaine 5% twice daily,and move on propecia 1.25mg/day (cut the 5MG pill in 4 pieces). and use it every day !

6_Uptown_NYC

Reaction score
Thanks all for the recommendations. After reviewing with my doctor, I am doing 0.5 mg Propecia daily and have added 5% Rogaine foam at night. Using Nizoral twice a week and a thickening shampoo on the off-days.

And just a quick soapbox moment - these are fantastic forums for advice and recommendations, but please all - remember finasteride is a prescription medication and no one should "play" with their dosage without speaking to a doctor first.

Take care guys. I'll check in after a few months with updates.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rather than monkey around with some specific dose of finasteride and expect it to make a difference, I'd strongly suggest adding something like Prox-N to your regimen. It contains some powerful extra ingredients, NONE of which you're currently using (various SODs, NANO, and other things). Increase the overall effectiveness of your program by ADDING other things to it, don't just make tiny changes in the amount of one single ingredient that you're already currently using (finasteride).

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Man in Space said:
Where are you Jacob?!?!

Want me to give you his home address?? :dunno: :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Haircut said:
Does this prox-N stuff really work?

Yes. It's been made and sold for years by Dr. Proctor.

Haircut said:
Where's the proof?

What would you consider "proof"? I used it all by itself for two years straight, and I have the before-and-after pictures to prove that it did a little better than maintain my hair during that time. I'm sure other people have used it successfullly, too, even though they may not have pictures documenting their success. I believe Dr. Proctor to be an honest person, and if he says that Proxiphen and Prox-N work, you can believe what he says.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Rather than monkey around with some specific dose of finasteride and expect it to make a difference, I'd strongly suggest adding something like Prox-N to your regimen. It contains some powerful extra ingredients, NONE of which you're currently using (various SODs, NANO, and other things). Increase the overall effectiveness of your program by ADDING other things to it, don't just make tiny changes in the amount of one single ingredient that you're already currently using (finasteride).

Bryan is a shill for Prox 'n NANO. He's been pushing these products for 15+ years. Yet claims he doesn't even use them himself..and hasn't all this time(so you can't ask him for updated before/after pics). Then he goes around asking for evidence when other companies/ppl make claims..when there's no such evidence for Protor's..or Bryan's...claims.

There are plenty of other products one could try..many new or fairly new.

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Haircut said:
Does this prox-N stuff really work?

Yes. It's been made and sold for years by Dr. Proctor.

Haircut said:
Where's the proof?

What would you consider "proof"? I used it all by itself for two years straight, and I have the before-and-after pictures to prove that it did a little better than maintain my hair during that time. I'm sure other people have used it successfullly, too, even though they may not have pictures documenting their success. I believe Dr. Proctor to be an honest person, and if he says that Proxiphen and Prox-N work, you can believe what he says.

Let's see those before/afters Bryan. Then tell us again why you quit using even the shampoo...shampoo- something you'd normally use anyway.

Dr. Proctor is not an honest person. He makes claims he cannot back up- see his website. He talks about "mysterious ingredients" that supposedly cannot be divulged that make the product(s) even better(!) The before/afters on his site are terrible..and ancient. etc etc

Jacob

Reaction score
Man in Space said:

You could just copy/paste my previous responses :woot: ...since he's pretty much posting the same spam each time anyway. :whistle:

tedlin01

Established Member
Reaction score
6_Uptown_NYC said:

How is your sixe drive and libido doing? Got any girlfriend/wife?

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thats better! I dont Feel there is Yin and Yang Until I see your posting in response to Bryans Shilling Jacob. The site needs your checks and balances!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Man in Space said:
Thats better! I dont Feel there is Yin and Yang Until I see your posting in response to Bryans Shilling Jacob. The site needs your checks and balances!

I don't "shill", any more than somebody "shills" who recommends that another person use Propecia or Rogaine.