Prolonged Use Of Low Level Laser Therapy..

Cate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been using a low level laser cap at home for a few weeks... I tend to leave it on my hair for prolonged periods of time as I work from home. I am assuming this is safe.. however, does anyone have any evidence to the contrary?

Thank you in advance!

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are studies out there that give good info but you need to know the power of your laser and also consider the density of hair it is being used on. In one study on shaved mice it was found that 1 to 2 joules of laser energy per sq cm every other day, kept follicles in the anagen phase while more worked to reduce anagen. Of course we aren’t shaved mice, but what could be taken from this is that a cap that produces 6 joules of energy in 20 minutes of application like the one I use, should not be worn 20 minutes if used on nearly bald spots. 20 minutes on denser hair might be needed to slow balding in the dense area but could hurt the less dense areas that really need it the most. I wear my laser messiah 350 diode unit for just 6 minute sessions on a very thin covered head.

Cate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's really helpful.. I have no bald spots, but have been using it for MUCH longer on a daily basis. I am not sure of the strength of the unit.. the guy that sold it to me at a clinic in Australia told me to use it 30-40 mins max a day.. if I used it for more, my scalp would become use to it and it would stop working (?) All I know is that it has 90 diodes..
I am worried now in case I have done damage...

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started taking finasteride just over three months ago and did not noticeably shed hairs from under the laser although I shed a bunch of thick dark hairs the length at which I keep on the sides. I attribute this at least in part to the laser helmet . I am not seeing thicker darker hair yet but the translucent thin hairs are definetley growing longer. Even short vellus hairs in the temple area are growing longer. This gives a significantly fuller look in darker situations such as over cast days. I am hopeful that the hairs get darker and thicker as time continues. Just over three months now. My goal has been to not shed from the top and wait patiently for an increase

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's really helpful.. I have no bald spots, but have been using it for MUCH longer on a daily basis. I am not sure of the strength of the unit.. the guy that sold it to me at a clinic in Australia told me to use it 30-40 mins max a day.. if I used it for more, my scalp would become use to it and it would stop working (?) All I know is that it has 90 diodes..
I am worried now in case I have done damage...
If your helmet has 90 diodes of the same type as mine it could probably be worn for 20 25 minutes over thin areas every other day assuming the 90 diodes are spread to cover similar scalp areA

Cate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Will the over use over the last few days risk causing any hair loss in your opinion?

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would take an overhead flash picture of your scalp in a dark room. The scalp you see there is what the laser is getting to

Cate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe I'll stop using it all together for a while.. I was under the impression they were dose dependant.. so more wouldn't damage.. but could cause it to stop working if your scalp got used to it.. now I am scared I've caused problems.. my hair parting looks the same... but..

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will the over use over the last few days risk causing any hair loss in your opinion?
I wouldn’t worry but if I were you, I would go with the weakest looking area of your scalp as a guide. If I had good enough hair I would go short cut to let more laser in and go shorter time

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
Two joules every other day is the magic number in my opinion. But that is on a shaved mouse. You helmet may give 2 joules in 20 to 25 min but if your hair is thick, then that changes how much of that energy reaches down to the scalp. If only 1 joules reaches the scalp then the time could be doubled. Then you would have two joules but if that is accurate then every day would be a little to much in my opinion.

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
Two joules every other day is the magic number in my opinion. But that is on a shaved mouse. You helmet may give 2 joules in 20 to 25 min but if your hair is thick, then that changes how much of that energy reaches down

to the scalp. If only 1 joules reaches the scalp then the time could be doubled. Then you would have two joules but if that is accurate then every day would be a little to much in my opinion.

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just to let you know that you would not cause hair to be lost. If you overused it for an extended period it just wouldn’t work as well. I’ve tried it three times as long and it didn’t hurt things but I really feel like more is not better. If I had used my 350 diode helmet for twenty minutes on my particular head. I think I would have shed more on top from the finasteride. Some people would argue that this would be better because shedding the hairs means they will come back stronger. Well what if I just keep the hairs and see what happens over time. That is my approach here

Cate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just to let you know that you would not cause hair to be lost. If you overused it for an extended period it just wouldn’t work as well. I’ve tried it three times as long and it didn’t hurt things but I really feel like more is not better. If I had used my 350 diode helmet for twenty minutes on my particular head. I think I would have shed more on top from the finasteride. Some people would argue that this would be better because shedding the hairs means they will come back stronger. Well what if I just keep the hairs and see what happens over time. That is my approach here

You've been so so helpful! Thank you!! Really appreciate your replies.. this has been SO stressful and working out what to do and how long I have to wait until I see results, and analysing my hair 50,000 times a day doesn't help.. that's why I started *over using* the helmet.. I'm totally OCD with something if I think it is working wonders..

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
You've been so so helpful! Thank you!! Really appreciate your replies.. this has been SO stressful and working out what to do and how long I have to wait until I see results, and analysing my hair 50,000 times a day doesn't help.. that's why I started *over using* the helmet.. I'm totally OCD with something if I think it is working wonders..
Cate, I think laser therapy is a smart move. It takes a long time but it works. In a scenario where excessive use results in more rapid cycling of hair stages, the user should expect things like shedding more than usual. In your case it would be weeks down the road to establish if that is going to happen. Like I said before, some would think this a good thing because they believe the short setback of sheds will result in healthier new hairs when they come in. Additionally some believe it is necessary to do this because it is the only way for the follicle to improve. I personally believe that follicles can gain strength without needing excessive stimulation or shedding. It just takes time. If you really need to keep on eye on things then perhaps you could use a good strength Led type flashlight to shine perpendicular on your hairline in a dark bathroom mirror. This will give you a better look at the actual hair count and length of struggling hairs. It needs to be a good LED flashlight. I wish you great progress Cate!

Cate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cate, I think laser therapy is a smart move. It takes a long time but it works. In a scenario where excessive use results in more rapid cycling of hair stages, the user should expect things like shedding more than usual. In your case it would be weeks down the road to establish if that is going to happen. Like I said before, some would think this a good thing because they believe the short setback of sheds will result in healthier new hairs when they come in. Additionally some believe it is necessary to do this because it is the only way for the follicle to improve. I personally believe that follicles can gain strength without needing excessive stimulation or shedding. It just takes time. If you really need to keep on eye on things then perhaps you could use a good strength Led type flashlight to shine perpendicular on your hairline in a dark bathroom mirror. This will give you a better look at the actual hair count and length of struggling hairs. It needs to be a good LED flashlight. I wish you great progress Cate!

Thanks.. my hair has thinned a lot.. it's VERY long, so like you I would rather keep the hairs I have and strengthen over time.. than loose a heap in shedding.. :( it's been so stressful.. which I know doesn't help.. I just never thought this would happen to me.. :( I could weep..

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks.. my hair has thinned a lot.. it's VERY long, so like you I would rather keep the hairs I have and strengthen over time.. than loose a heap in shedding.. :( it's been so stressful.. which I know doesn't help.. I just never thought this would happen to me.. :( I could weep..
I understand. It is tough to deal with. I assume you have seen a doctor to see if there were underlying causes?
Also have you used a flashlight like I mentioned to see if you have a lot of weaker hard to see hairs?

Cate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand. It is tough to deal with. I assume you have seen a doctor to see if there were underlying causes?
Also have you used a flashlight like I mentioned to see if you have a lot of weaker hard to see hairs?

I haven't used a flashlight yet..but I do notice short hairs coming out and I cannot work out whether it is breakage or hairs dropping prematurely.. not many, but my hair has become so thin at the back (the length) in a matter fo a few months..at first I thought it was breakage as I damaged my hair with over use of harsh shampoos ..but then I panicked ..

I did go to see a Doctor, she found me low of D, B12 and Iron.. so all those I am taking now and I have changed my diet. She also found slightly high blood glucose which confused me as I eat a very healthy died in the main.. she felt it may be too much fruit.. I'm just scared it is getting worst not better and I don't know how to stop it.. hence the over use of the unit.. I just figured if it made hair grow, I'd keep it on my head as much as possible.. :(

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you should not worry and just get on to using the helmet proper. From what you have told me about it being 90 diodes, I would not be using it more than 25 minutes three days a week max and never two days in a row. If you happen to shed don’t stop, just keep going. It may be normal to expect anyway because you will likely have dormant hairs falling out to make way for new hairs that you want to keep growing for years. Just don’t give up or expect to see miracles. It can take several months to get noticeable change.

Gary519

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been using a low level laser cap at home for a few weeks... I tend to leave it on my hair for prolonged periods of time as I work from home. I am assuming this is safe.. however, does anyone have any evidence to the contrary?

Thank you in advance!
Cate, I Don’t know if you’ll get this last message, but I thought the link I will try to attach here is useful reading for you. Hope you had a merry Christmas and have a happy new year. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/does-low-level-laser-therapy-lllt-actually-work-hair-loss-sam-ghani