progesterone to reduce DHT

nydheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe discussed before but have a look at this excerpt and let me know what you think.

Progesterone and Prostate

The Prostate is the male equivalent of the female uterus. When prostate cells are exposed to estrogen, the cells proliferate and become cancerous. When progesterone or testosterone was added, cancer cell dies. During the aging process, progesterone level falls in men, especially after age 60. Interesting, progesterone is the chief inhibitor of an enzyme called 5 alpha reductase that is responsible for converting testosterone to di-hydrotestosterone (DHT), a much more potent derivative that is linked to prostate cancer. When the level of progesterone falls in men, the amount of conversion from testosterone to DHT increases. Unfortunately, DHT is not as powerful an inhibitor of cancer cells compared to testosterone. Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and prostate cancer do not appear in men when the level of testosterone is high. Both conditions come 20 to 30 years after the onset of declining testosterone level associated with the aging process that commences in mid-twenties.

Testosterone is also an antagonist to estradiol. When the level of testosterone decreases, the relative level of estradiol in men increases. Estradiol, as we have seen earlier, turns on BCL2 oncogene and increases the risk of prostate cancer if an adequate amount of progesterone is not there to counteract its effect by stimulating the P53 cancer protection gene.

Prostate cancer is a leading cause of cancer in men. It is slow growing, with a doubling time of 5 years. Breast cancer is much more aggressive, with a doubling time of a few months. Dr. John Lee, Dr. Jesse Hanley and many other forward looking doctors now believe that excessive estrogen is a primary cause of prostate enlargement and prostate cancer. Numerous anecdotal reports of reduction of BPH and reversal of prostate cancer through the use of natural progesterone supplementation have been reported. It is apparent that progesterone protects the prostate gland.

PSA is a widely available prostate cancer marker. Studies have shown that PSA level returns to normal upon application of natural progesterone cream in before or after prostate surgery.

Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a prostate enlargement condition, is a common condition affecting the majority of males above age 50. Progesterone cream can help to reduce the prostate size. Progesterone's inhibitory effect on 5 alpha reductase is far more effective than Proscar and Saw Palmetto, which are standard agents, used in traditional and natural medicine to cure BPH. Concurrent use of progesterone cream can reduce the amount of saw palmetto needed to achieve the same effect.

All men over age 40 should consider natural progesterone replacement therapy, or even earlier if there is a history of prostate caner or BPH. The amount needed is 10 mg a day, approximately half that used in women. No rest day is needed and men should apply it on a daily basis.

One benefit is that there is a reasonable chance that natural progesterone supplement decreases male balding due to the corresponding rise in testosterone. More research is needed in this area.

Here is the link for the website http://lammd.com/A3R_brief_in_doc_forma ... roneandMen

Happy Easter!

el_duterino

Reaction score
Very interesting post, thanks. I did a google on that "Progesterone" and it seems that some of the long term side effects includes cancer ? If the application is hairloss, this means many years or even decades of continuous usage.
At least finasteride or dutasteride can be taken for years safely. I am still here, alive and well after 10 years (6 on finasteride and 4 on dutasteride).

nydheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Funny how anything and everything can give you cancer these days! I have done some further reading on progesterone and I guess there are products out there that include progesterone in a topical minoxidil formulation. I pressume there would be some systemic absorbtion but not as much as if it was taken orally. Curious to know if anyone has tried it though.

dave25

Reaction score
I have been on topical progesterone (1% solution) for a little more than a year and am still using it : to tell you the truth I have not noticed much of a difference (if there has been any improvement at all) in the areas where I usually apply it. (mainly crown and temples).Theoretically it should have a positive effect on hairloss but as it 's always the case with male pattern baldness drugs , everyone responds to the same drug in different ways