Production updates, and when we expect things to pick up

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

I have some information I want to share with you all.

The factories in Qingdao are ramping up local production, but is not expected to be that of the pre-COVID-19, pre-border closing with North Korea. The labor pool is limited in a very competative market.

Full Lace systems are still very rare, as are full caps or extra large or overly "complicated" systems.

Expect to see skin + vloop becoming more available as these are easier systems for these newly-trained workers to complete.

Custom systems are still taking excruciatingly long, this may ease up a bit, hover the Chinese New Year holiday will shut down production for approximately three weeks during February.

The current estimated re-opening of the border, and resumption of "full production" is expected to restart by June of 2021.

FYI, I am not following this thread... am available for PM.

Noah

Reaction score
The problem is at the Korean side. Trade goods are now able to go in and out across the China border, but the Koreans seem to have completely shut their frontier. Only a country as isolated as North Korea could do that.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
+ The consensus is, the quality from newly hired workers is generally lower than pre-covid days; which is unsurprising.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is at the Korean side. Trade goods are now able to go in and out across the China border, but the Koreans seem to have completely shut their frontier. Only a country as isolated as North Korea could do that.
Interestingly enough... the stuff that was in production did finally get out.

There is some trade going on, however limited. The official reason (or so I was told) the N. Koreans are afraid that COVID-19 can "live" on human hair, so they stopped the importation of the hair.

Don't quote me on that... but that came from two seperate sources.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well covid can live on anything, for a period of time.

I wonder when it will be back to full capacity. I am in need of a good unit for July which is plenty of time.. In normal times.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey BaldBearded just curious what’s the word on the streets nowadays?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey BaldBearded just curious what’s the word on the streets nowadays?

Production is picking up on skin units, and the production times are falling. Workers are refusing to do full lace, since they take more time, and apparently they are paid by the piece, not the hour.

Full lace units are basically impossible to get and forget things like spot highlights, and really special requests. The prices are still going up and up, for us. And anything oversized is now more than double the price we paid a year ago.

I don't expect any changes given the slow rollout of the vaccine, and no word from N. Korea. I think the June/July timeframe was wishful thinking.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Damn, should I really start thinking about wearing thin skin. Does it take lots of getting used to if switching from lace?

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear lace with a poly horse shoe.

All I want otherwise is a colour match and a light density.

I can probably make do with a thin skin in winter but I need one for a wedding in the summer. Will they be OK? The very end of June.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn, should I really start thinking about wearing thin skin. Does it take lots of getting used to if switching from lace?
You'll love how easy it is to clean!

I'm a fan of thin skin - nice and realistic and feels amazing on the head!

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You'll love how easy it is to clean!

I'm a fan of thin skin - nice and realistic and feels amazing on the head!
How do you deal with the sweat and grime that build up underneath (if you have this issue)? I wore a polyskin, but it was fairly uncomfortable towards the end of the week cause of the itchiness and sweat that seemed to accumulate underneath. I was thinking of using some scalp dryer-antiperspirant prior to wearing a thin skin (considering there's a lace shortage).

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you deal with the sweat and grime that build up underneath (if you have this issue)? I wore a polyskin, but it was fairly uncomfortable towards the end of the week cause of the itchiness and sweat that seemed to accumulate underneath. I was thinking of using some scalp dryer-antiperspirant prior to wearing a thin skin (considering there's a lace shortage).

That is why some guys wear a hybrid system. Those are easier to get than full lace.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear lace with a poly horse shoe.

All I want otherwise is a colour match and a light density.

I can probably make do with a thin skin in winter but I need one for a wedding in the summer. Will they be OK? The very end of June.

Do you wear premade or custom? I would not wait... I would get on it now, with your supplier.

FYI the Chinese start their big holiday on Monday. And they will be basically closed for the next three weeks (despite the fact that they only claim it's one week).

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's good to know.

I know my supplier changed factories in December, following supply delays.

Their current timeline is 5-6 weeks for lace and skin.

They mentioned the difference is now dealing directly with the factory owner rather than layers of middle men/women which makes communication and logistics so much quicker and clear.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want custom. For the colour match etc mostly.

I can't wait for this to blow over and production resumes as normal. A new custom piece delivered in 7 weeks is great

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Just make your peace with the fact that you will need to detach and clean more often. I'm very active, and I do a full clean once a week. If you have a sweat issue (I would say I sweat a lot more than most!) you can use No Sweat - it acts as a scalp protector and prevents sweating under the base. If you're working out on the regular, then it will only work for so long.

I think the thickness of the base is vital. A 0.03 is no more breathable than a 0.05, but the thickness of the base allows for heat to escape. 0.02mm doesn't seem like much, but the difference is almost double the thickness.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea that there was so much to it. You guys are almost like the experimental meds guys in terms of estimating production. Goddess bless.