Pretty Sure I'm Losing Hair, Time To Consider Some Treatments.

What's next?

• Consider treatments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worrying about nothing

• Seek a second opinion

• Total voters

Kris89

My Regimen
Reaction score
So my story starts around 21 years old. I noticed very slight recession at the temples and vowed to keep an eye on it (I will mark these areas in green on one picture). Thankfully now, 7 years later that hasn't really worsened too much. What concerns me is that in the last six months I've noticed a patch in my hairline that pretty much has no hair (marked in red). This patch is not noticeable to anyone as my hair is long but I also do not have older pictures where it is visible as a result.
Anywho, I figured it's time to get a professional opinion and I went to one of those joints where you they map out your hair for miniaturization. The lady tells me she can see no signs of active hair-loss. The temples have receded but the hairs behind there seem solid and she can see no thinning on the crown. She then encounters the part in the hairline that seems absent of hair and she said she's not sure what the deal is with it. She said it's obviously lost the hair and it could be a type of hair loss, but couldn't rightly say it was male pattern baldness. Apparently after a hair has shrunk it's follicle can still be found with skin covering it on the scalp. This wasn't the case in this area. I however am 99% sure that this area did not look this way a year ago, as I've always kept a close eye on my hair. She wants me to keep an eye on it but thinks it's not worth getting on treatments yet.

I suspect the area toward that temple is receding and making this area appear bigger over time. I also don't like the wait and see idea as I need my hair intact (see below). Anyway I'm at the point where I'm looking for opinions of those who might recall if their early hairloss had anything like this going on.

A few things to mention:

1 - I work in a foreign country as a model and require my hair stay intact for as long as possible.

2 - I have very much sub-clinical hypothyroidism and I will probably need a blood test within the month to test those levels (I will get baseline hormones at that time as well). My doctor suspects this actually won't be an ongoing issue.

3 - I've been using a shampoo containing ketoconazole for probably 4 months and have been taking Saw Palmetto for probably about 3 months (for whatever that's worth).

4 - Father has little hair in his 60s. Started losing in his 30s. Mother's side of the family all have full heads of hair even up to 80 years old (my grandfather has a better hairline than me). Father has dark curly hair while mother has straight light hair. My hair is naturally the same color as my mothers and is also straight. My younger (by three years) brother who takes after my father has experienced what I predict is early diffuse thinning.

5 - Some of these pictures my hair is wet. I don't tie my hair up.

I know for some this is going to seem like a rather pathetic amount of hairloss and no cause for concern, but my career and future prospects in this country hinge on the retention of my hair, so if I can get on top of it as early as possible I will.

More or less I'm wondering at this point whether to get on a small dose of finasteride after my blood tests (well versed in the drug btw), whether to see a second dermatologist or whether to wait and see. I am so sure that my hairline was even until sometime last year...

Anyway, thanks for any advice or opinions you can supply :)

Attachments

• five2.jpg
    five2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 248
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 204
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 202
  • one.jpg
    one.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
So my story starts around 21 years old. I noticed very slight recession at the temples and vowed to keep an eye on it (I will mark these areas in green on one picture). Thankfully now, 7 years later that hasn't really worsened too much. What concerns me is that in the last six months I've noticed a patch in my hairline that pretty much has no hair (marked in red). This patch is not noticeable to anyone as my hair is long but I also do not have older pictures where it is visible as a result.
Anywho, I figured it's time to get a professional opinion and I went to one of those joints where you they map out your hair for miniaturization. The lady tells me she can see no signs of active hair-loss. The temples have receded but the hairs behind there seem solid and she can see no thinning on the crown. She then encounters the part in the hairline that seems absent of hair and she said she's not sure what the deal is with it. She said it's obviously lost the hair and it could be a type of hair loss, but couldn't rightly say it was male pattern baldness. Apparently after a hair has shrunk it's follicle can still be found with skin covering it on the scalp. This wasn't the case in this area. I however am 99% sure that this area did not look this way a year ago, as I've always kept a close eye on my hair. She wants me to keep an eye on it but thinks it's not worth getting on treatments yet.

I suspect the area toward that temple is receding and making this area appear bigger over time. I also don't like the wait and see idea as I need my hair intact (see below). Anyway I'm at the point where I'm looking for opinions of those who might recall if their early hairloss had anything like this going on.

A few things to mention:

1 - I work in a foreign country as a model and require my hair stay intact for as long as possible.

2 - I have very much sub-clinical hypothyroidism and I will probably need a blood test within the month to test those levels (I will get baseline hormones at that time as well). My doctor suspects this actually won't be an ongoing issue.

3 - I've been using a shampoo containing ketoconazole for probably 4 months and have been taking Saw Palmetto for probably about 3 months (for whatever that's worth).

4 - Father has little hair in his 60s. Started losing in his 30s. Mother's side of the family all have full heads of hair even up to 80 years old (my grandfather has a better hairline than me). Father has dark curly hair while mother has straight light hair. My hair is naturally the same color as my mothers and is also straight. My younger (by three years) brother who takes after my father has experienced what I predict is early diffuse thinning.

5 - Some of these pictures my hair is wet. I don't tie my hair up.

I know for some this is going to seem like a rather pathetic amount of hairloss and no cause for concern, but my career and future prospects in this country hinge on the retention of my hair, so if I can get on top of it as early as possible I will.

More or less I'm wondering at this point whether to get on a small dose of finasteride after my blood tests (well versed in the drug btw), whether to see a second dermatologist or whether to wait and see. I am so sure that my hairline was even until sometime last year...

Anyway, thanks for any advice or opinions you can supply :)
LOL, that patch of hair you circled in red happened to me to in the same exact spot. I have thyroid problems too. So far, can't get any hair to come back there. My hairline pretty much exactly like yours in the first photo. Its like a "choppy" diffuse hairline. Mine looks like a hair transplant gone wrong.

Kris89

My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL, that patch of hair you circled in red happened to me to in the same exact spot. I have thyroid problems too. So far, can't get any hair to come back there. My hairline pretty much exactly like yours in the first photo. Its like a "choppy" diffuse hairline. Mine looks like a hair transplant gone wrong.

Haha you're kidding. So you reckon this has to do with the thyroid issues instead of just general hairloss? I suppose the time lines do line up, I noticed this about the same time I found out my TSH levels were higher than they should be.
What happened to you after this? Did it progress?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Haha you're kidding. So you reckon this has to do with the thyroid issues instead of just general hairloss? I suppose the time lines do line up, I noticed this about the same time I found out my TSH levels were higher than they should be.
What happened to you after this? Did it progress?
Could be a slight case of areata but who knows. Can't be a sure if its related to male pattern baldness or thyroid. When you have both its hard to know which one is the issue. Yes, it did progress but just very slightly. However, since I went back on minoxidil 5% everyday now, I am getting regrowth in my hairline again. Guess I had alot minoxidil dependent hairs lost after I slower went off 5%minoxidil. Minoxidil works best on hairloss related to thyroid. Propecia is best for hairloss related to male pattern baldness. I have Hashimoto's which is auto immune so I could also be prone to auto immune hair loss which has happened in other parts of my body.

Kris89

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could be a slight case of areata but who knows. Can't be a sure if its related to male pattern baldness or thyroid. When you have both its hard to know which one is the issue. Yes, it did progress but just very slightly. However, since I went back on minoxidil 5% everyday now, I am getting regrowth in my hairline again. Guess I had alot minoxidil dependent hairs lost after I slower went off 5%minoxidil. Minoxidil works best on hairloss related to thyroid. Propecia is best for hairloss related to male pattern baldness. I have Hashimoto's which is auto immune so I could also be prone to auto immune hair loss which has happened in other parts of my body.

Ah yes, I've heard a fair bit about Hashimoto's while I was undergoing my first lot of tests. Pretty uncommon in men if I'm not mistaken. I'm also incredibly thin so my doctors couldn't believe I might have thyroid issues. The tests next month should reveal whether this will be an ongoing issue for me (whether the disease has progressed or whether I just had a spike in TSH for whatever reason). I guess for now I am best considering a proper dermatologist before jumping onto any sort of treatment. I haven't yet seen any other instance of hairloss on my body. Fingers crossed by the sounds of things