Pretty Sure Im Balding At 17 (update)

Calebkl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, as you most likely seen in the title, im quite young to be balding, but all the signs seem to be there. In my last post, i may have not done the best job explaning, so i will try and do better here. For about 6 months to a year, i have been experencing a very itchy, flacky, and scabby scalp. My sheading has also increased from not noticable (maybe 25-50 a day) to a rather staggering amount (maybe 75 to 100). It may have always been this much, but i dont belive so. I have one great grandfather who went to norwood 3.5 at 50, and one uncle at Norwood 5 at 45. Rest have great hair, uncluding father and my gpa on mothers side. I have been to the derm, who thinks the shed may be linked to my scalp, but i seem to have a bit of recession as well. Im just having a tough time being objective. Thanks for any help/advice.
1st pic-5 yr old, 2nd-6 months ago, 3rd-2 months ago, 4th-today
20180929_160405.jpg
20180927_213025.jpg
20181014_215841.jpg
20181019_174838.jpg

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
sorry man, this is truly devastating. and I know it because i went through the same sh*t, at the same age.

I got on minoxidil at 17 and it actually did wonders, I recommend you doing the same and not jumping on finasteride yet since you might still be growing. then you can get on finasteride when you get a bit older.. gl

Calebkl

My Regimen
Reaction score
sorry man, this is truly devastating. and I know it because i went through the same sh*t, at the same age.

I got on minoxidil at 17 and it actually did wonders, I recommend you doing the same and not jumping on finasteride yet since you might still be growing. then you can get on finasteride when you get a bit older.. gl
So it appears to be recedeing? I thought it might, but its just hard to tell when you see yourself every day.

Calebkl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, i have many more pictures, if that would help anyone cone to their conclusion, just let me know.

Calebkl

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes.. sry
Jeez, if it aint one thing ita another. Over the last 5 years, i have went from 45% body fat to 12% body fat, and now im balding. Well atleats you can be healthy and bald but not really healthy and fat. Thanks for your input

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah bro unfortunately it looks as though the process has started. What alphalete has said about minoxidil is good advice, and i also wouldn't recommend any hormonal stuff just yet as you're still developing.

With minoxidil you could probably rewind the clock a bit and save yourself some time. You're young so hopefully time is on your side and there are more treatments on the horizon..Brotzu, Seti, Shiseido etc..

Calebkl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah bro unfortunately it looks as though the process has started. What alphalete has said about minoxidil is good advice, and i also wouldn't recommend any hormonal stuff just yet as you're still developing.

With minoxidil you could probably rewind the clock a bit and save yourself some time. You're young so hopefully time is on your side and there are more treatments on the horizon..Brotzu, Seti, Shiseido etc..
Thank you, hope does appear to be on the horizon. Illmake sure to bring up treatment options with the derm, I visit on the 28th. Little confused how this is happening though, my family history is nearly flawless. Guess I was just delt a rare and raw hand. Well, like I said, thanks man.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you, hope does appear to be on the horizon. Illmake sure to bring up treatment options with the derm, I visit on the 28th. Little confused how this is happening though, my family history is nearly flawless. Guess I was just delt a rare and raw hand. Well, like I said, thanks man.

Yeah dont think too much into it mate the future is looking better. Unfortunately with male pattern baldness there are so many variables and pathways that contribute to it all that if you just got the wrong genetic combination of these variables then thats it. Will be interesting to hear what the derm says. Be wary though that most derms are very prescribed in the sense the follow an industry norm. They probably graduated 20 years ago and aren't up to date at all with treatments or future ones. Look out for Trinov (brotzu lotion) that comes out in December - the jury is still out on its effectiveness but homemade efforts saw great results .

All the best.

Calebkl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah dont think too much into it mate the future is looking better. Unfortunately with male pattern baldness there are so many variables and pathways that contribute to it all that if you just got the wrong genetic combination of these variables then thats it. Will be interesting to hear what the derm says. Be wary though that most derms are very prescribed in the sense the follow an industry norm. They probably graduated 20 years ago and aren't up to date at all with treatments or future ones. Look out for Trinov (brotzu lotion) that comes out in December - the jury is still out on its effectiveness but homemade efforts saw great results .

All the best.
Hes actually quite young, I have visited him twice before. I have gone for the scalp issues and struck out twice, they are going for a biopsy to see whats up. Can they check balding with that as well? Ill prob bring it up sense they are taking my scalp anyhow.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jeez, if it aint one thing ita another. Over the last 5 years, i have went from 45% body fat to 12% body fat, and now im balding. Well atleats you can be healthy and bald but not really healthy and fat. Thanks for your input

sadly enough, i wrote almost the exact same thing as you (if it aint one thing, its another). lmao. Don't be sad man , minoxidil can do you good. You might be a really good responder.

Calebkl

My Regimen
Reaction score
sadly enough, i wrote almost the exact same thing as you (if it aint one thing, its another). lmao. Don't be sad man , minoxidil can do you good. You might be a really good responder.
I will make sure to bring that up to my derm when I see him, thanks for all the help. Im just glad that my hair doesn't seem to be thinning on the top or crown, just receding. It is ALOT easier to cover that up. Thanks for all the help and responses, this was very helpful.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
You must be sure as it is evident that you have already receded very much. I think you are aggressive balder . at your age it is devastating psychologicaly. I don't take any measures apart from massaging my scalp so I can't advice you drug or procedure.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will make sure to bring that up to my derm when I see him, thanks for all the help. Im just glad that my hair doesn't seem to be thinning on the top or crown, just receding. It is ALOT easier to cover that up. Thanks for all the help and responses, this was very helpful.

best of luck man. you can always pm me if you have any questions

Calebkl

My Regimen
Reaction score
You must be sure as it is evident that you have already receded very much. I think you are aggressive balder . at your age it is devastating psychologicaly. I don't take any measures apart from massaging my scalp so I can't advice you drug or procedure.
Really? I guess it sorta sneaks up on ya then. Also like i said in the post, it is sorta hard to be objective for my own hair. Well, thanks man

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think NW3 . even if you don't have crown thinning you already have a visible peninsula. So Norwood 3

I don’t agree, I think he’s a NW2.

@Calebkl i don’t think it’s as bad as you think, going off your picture when you were five it seems you’ve always had a naturally high hairline.

I agree with @Alphalete, minoxidil would be the best option and maybe add in dermarolling in with it. Bare in mind it’s a life long commitment.

Goodluck mate. :)