Pre System Wearer Needing Advice On A Few Things

Jae

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been an admirer of this forum for some time and read some awesome advice. Now i find myself needing some.

I have been losing my hair for best part of my 20s, I'm now 32 and having seen the information and some hairsystem YouTube videos I have decided to go down that track. I have been maintaining my hair by using nizarol and minoxidil then use fibres to cover up which does the job the issue is that I don't have a style it's just a cover up job and hair spray so it all stays in place.

My current routine does have a positive effect on my hair as I don't really shed but the issue is It isn't as thick on top anymore compared to what I did have. When I use the fibres it can give the look that I have thick hair but In reality it isn't at all. Anyone that has ever used fibres knows about the social risks and the amount of pillows that look disgraceful when you wake up. It's especially bad if you've a lady next to you.

Anyway, someone in my family has recently turned to a system and it looks good. So it got me thinking, am I there yet?

So I went for consultation at Manchester hair systems and the guys there were good and gave me advice there wasn't any hard sell at all. They seemed really busy too with people coming for their maintenance and people having consultations, there's just not alot about them on the web. There some good reviews but wondering if anyone has had any dealing with them?

I booked myself in and out a 50 pound deposit down, the owner said it wasn't necessary to pay upfront because he knows il be happy with it and he would order the system that day. All I have to do is grow the sides out for 4 weeks,they looked at my hair colour and density and I guess ordered one from their samples they had that matched my hair.

They said I would have to go back once every 4 weeks for maintenance with them at a cost of £45, which seems reasonable and the system costs £450, also reasonable.

What are your thoughts on this??

Also I have attached some pics of my hair for any feedback where I am ready for one or not?

The pics are without any fibres and the last one is how I have it with the fibres on, nobody really says I'm going bald when I have them on just that I'm receding.

Basically I am shittin it abit about making the right decision as I want it to look natural and a undetected transformation to a system.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys

Jae

Attachments

• IMG_5012.JPG
    IMG_5012.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_5013.JPG
    IMG_5013.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_5014.JPG
    IMG_5014.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_5015.JPG
    IMG_5015.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_5016.JPG
    IMG_5016.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_5017.JPG
    IMG_5017.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_5018.JPG
    IMG_5018.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_5019.JPG
    IMG_5019.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 271

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Jae

You definitely shouldn't leave it any longer. I have to be honest with you, even with the scalp powder your hair looks pretty thin and wispy (in fact I'm surprised the Toppik is not doing a better job - are you sure you attached the right photo?). Even if you act now, you will have to go for a lightish density if you want to try for an imperceptible transition. You can work up to a higher density once people have got used to seeing you with the unit.

I'm afraid I don't know Manchester Hair Systems, but certainly those prices are pretty reasonable. Is that where your family member went?

Jae

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Noah.

From what I have read you're the man with the experience and information. So thanks for your honesty.

Those pics were of me naturally without any toppik or anything on my scalp at all. Hence why it looks whispy and thin and a tumbleweed.

I have attached some ones where I have fibres on so can see the difference, so my question is really, do you think I could go for a higher density one with an actual style and I could say that I've had it treated professionally, styled etc. I'm not going for a mad style or anything just a messed up look or maybe slightly swept back?

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers

Jae

Attachments

• IMG_5024.JPG
    IMG_5024.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_5028.JPG
    IMG_5028.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_5029.JPG
    IMG_5029.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_5030.JPG
    IMG_5030.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_5031.JPG
    IMG_5031.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_5032.JPG
    IMG_5032.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_5033.JPG
    IMG_5033.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 260

Jae

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Noah,

I'm getting fitted for a system next weekend, I'm looking forward to it but also very anxious too. What things should I ask when I'm at the sitting to have it done?

Also, as part of my job I am required to be in a very hot humid environment for about 4 hours in a hydro pool, would the system be able to withstand this? Would the glue be able to? What about if I got chlorine on the system?

Cheers mate

Jae

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Jae

As I understand it you have left it to them to exercise their professional judgement about density, design of the system, adhesives etc. Also you haven't specified what kind of base you want, so they will be making that choice for you, and presumably you are OK with that. If they are a decent place and the other customers you saw looked good, then you should be safe enough to trust them.

Nevertheless, BEFORE they fit the system I would sit down with them and discuss and agree a few things with them. Once they have fitted the system and your head is shaved down under the system you are committed, and you don't have much bargaining power. So you should be making sure what kind of system you will be getting, what adhesives they will be using and how they will work, and what haircut you will be getting. Take some magazine pictures of the style you are looking for, and make sure that they can do it, or at least something you are happy with. If you are hoping to make the transition without people spotting what you have done, make sure they will work with you to achieve that, and the density of your system won't be wildly higher than the look you get with your concealers. Clarify what maintenance you can expect to have to do on the system between their monthly maintenance sessions (you may have to re-do the hairline yourself). Get their commitment that they will take you through any processes you need to know about as often as it takes for you to be comfortable that you can do it, and if necessary will give you a refresher later if you need it. Get their commitment that if you have any teething troubles in the first couple of months and you need emergency help, they will make a slot for you and fit you in immediately. It is not unusual for guys to find that the first choice of adhesive causes itch, or doesn't hold the hairline in place between maintenance sessions, so that you may have to experiment with different adhesives. Only let them go ahead once you are happy with everything.

Talk to them about the hydro pool - if may affect their choice of glue. But in my experience heavy humidity and sweating is not a problem provided the adhesives have been allowed to cure - so allow 3 or 4 hours in the cool between having your system fitted and going into the humidity and you should be fine. A lace base is better for high humidity than a skin base, but it is probably too late to specify that if you want to proceed this weekend. It's not a dealbreaker.

Chlorine on your system is like chlorine on your growing hair - it doesn't do it any good. Try to avoid it, and if you can't, wash it out as soon as you can.

Good luck for the weekend. Let us know how it goes.

Noah

Jae

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks very much Noah. My fitting is tomorrow and I've written down the questions you've stated, so I don't forget. Easy to get carried away. Mixed emotions going in, but going for it. Has to be better than a life of concealers.

I already requested a lace base when I first went in and I showed them a few pics and they were like "no problems" doing that. Spoke with the owner of the company other day and told him how I was feeling. Said we can have a good chat when I go in tomorrow. So that's good.

I shall post the aftermath after the appointment tomorrow and I shall show you my dreadlocks. Joking.

Thanks for the advice

Cheers mate Jae

Noah

Reaction score
Good luck Jae. Be aware that getting a full head of hair after being thinning can be a big shock. Some guys are delighted, but some experience buyer's remorse for a day or two until it sinks in. So don't judge instantly - give it a few days before you decide whether you like it. One thing I heard recommended is to go to a busy shopping centre well away from your usual haunts so you don't have to worry about bumping into your mates, and just have a wander around, get a coffee, talk to a few people, and just appreciate the fact that they aren't staring at your head, and that you are now just a normal guy with a full head of hair.