Potential of Colostrum-Derived Exosomes for Promoting Hair Regeneration Through the Transition From Telogen to Anagen Phase

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Abstract​

Human hair dermal papillary (DP) cells comprising mesenchymal stem cells in hair follicles contribute critically to hair growth and cycle regulation. The transition of hair follicles from telogen to anagen phase is the key to regulating hair growth, which relies heavily on the activation of DP cells. In this paper, we suggested exosomes derived from bovine colostrum (milk exosomes, Milk-exo) as a new effective non-surgical therapy for hair loss. Results showed that Milk-exo promoted the proliferation of hair DP cells and rescued dihydrotestosterone (DHT, androgen hormones)-induced arrest of follicle development. Milk-exo also induced dorsal hair re-growth in mice at the level comparable to minoxidil treatment, without associated adverse effects such as skin rashes. Our data demonstrated that Milk-exo accelerated the hair cycle transition from telogen to anagen phase by activating the Wnt/β-catenin pathway. Interestingly, Milk-exo has been found to stably retain its original properties and efficacy for hair regeneration after freeze-drying and resuspension, which is considered critical to use it as a raw material applied in different types of alopecia medicines and treatments. Overall, this study highlights a great potential of an exosome from colostrum as a therapeutic modality for hair loss.
Keywords: colostrum; dermal papilla; exosome; hair growth; lactoferrin.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fancy. So many things "rescue" hair from DHT (AC2 peptide from Trapa Japonica comes to mind), yet here it is still dying and begging to be saved.

What can we even do with this? Are these exosomes present in regular colostrum? Do you drink it or dump it on your head? I don't care too much for studies that don't give me something to experiment with.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exosomes are huge molecules (something like 30,000 daltons +) So there is very little chance they will make it into the skin just by regular topical application unless some serious needling or injected as in the study.