Poster Leon - Getting A System - First Impressions, Questions, Pictures!

Noah

Reaction score
This is a post on behalf of Leon, who has so far been unable to join the forum due to the technical glitch previously discussed:

I’m a first time wearer and I want to share my experience, make som inquiries and hopefully get some overall feedback!

Some background:
I’m currently 31 years old and have been struggling with my hair loss since I was 20. Androgenic alopecia runs on my mothers side of the family where the men typically reach Norwood 5–7 by their 40’s. I wish I had been as fortunate as my older brother to inherit the luscious curls from my fathers side, but alas here I am somewhere around Norwood 3.

I was on Finasteride for about 3 years in my early twenties but decided it was not for me (no notable decrease in hair loss + side effects). Got scared off trying Minoxidil after someone I know lost all hair in front which unfortunately never grew back and he was left a lot worse off than he started.

For the past few years I’ve been trapped under layers of hair fibre and hairspray which gave ok results for a few years but has gotten harder and harder to make work, and I can no longer manage to get the results I want.

I considered getting a hair transplant but realize that it would only be a temporary solution as I will continue to lose hair up top (reaching Norwood 6–7 sooner or later) and I simply don’t have enough donor hair to get full coverage when that happens (and I won’t go back to finasteride).
I am also adverse to the idea of shaving my head, imo I don’t have the features for it.

Including some pictures of my natural hair (with and without toppik and styling products) for reference.

IMG_4297.jpg IMG_4298.jpg IMG_4299.jpg IMG_4300.jpg IMG_4301.jpg IMG_4302.jpg IMG_4303.jpg IMG_4305.jpg IMG_4306.jpg IMG_4307.jpg IMG_4308.jpg IMG_4309.jpg IMG_4310.jpg IMG_4311.jpg IMG_4312.jpg IMG_4313.jpg

SO, refusing to admit defeat I went ahead and got a hair system a week ago.
I’m in a steady relationship with a supporting partner but outside of the relationship no one has seen me with unstyled or wet hair for at least 10 years, and I’ve never talked about my hair loss other than with my doctor. I think the fact that I’m wearing will go mostly unnoticed by the people around me, if only I can get the hair system to look good. I still have three more weeks to get it right before summer vacation is over.

Hair salons that deal with systems seem to be scarce in my country so I picked the first I could find that was not a ”you must come to us for all your maintenance”- hair club. This hairdresser only works with full poly units, so I got the thinnest one he had at 0,08 mm. I had two choices: a lighter density unit that looked like a grandma with hair rollers and really thin in the crown, and a slightly denser unit (still looked quite thin) straight out of the Beatles.

After some discussion I was recommended the Beatles one. Color match seems spot-on and the thickness of each strand is not too different from my bio hair.

Dang it looked good for a few minutes while it was wet! Felt a burst of happiness and confidence! Main take-away from this is that hair systems look better and fuller on your head than off!

We opted for a fringe hair cut, main reason being not wanting to have to worry about the hair line. I was used to having my forehead more exposed so I thought it looked a bit strange and like there was too much hair on top – was told that it is common to feel this way. Then when the hair started to dry the puffiness came, and I looked like a yak.

We thinned the hair out quite a bit but I still think there is too much density (and too much puff). The hair on top is significantly denser than my bio hair on the sides. Did not have this much volume on top even as a teen.

What happened after
I’ve tried styling it a few different ways over the past week but have yet to find something that looks good and the hair is not very compliant. Can’t get too much variation without cutting it though. Pictures attached. I tried a semi-exposed hairline which looked good from a distance, but at least in good lighting the edge of the poly was visible from like 60–80 cm which I can’t accept (at work I get closer than this with strangers, several times a day).

I have contacted the hairdresser and scheduled an appointment this Friday to cut in the other, lower density unit (I think he said ca 15% less hair). Hoping for the best.

Tried wetting the hair and wearing a cap to flatten the unit out – things improved but the puff comes back after washing and/or brushing.

The glue in the front ”Manager Top - Trackpower” loosened immediatly after a light jog at the end of the second day of wearing (had allowed it to cure properly for 24+ hours). Reapplied the glue and went to the gym next day, loosened completely again. Guess I will have to find another glue? Until I can get my hands on something better I’m using tape in the front as well ”Arcos – Super Grip tape 25 mm”. Can’t see much of a difference from when I had it glued, the edge of the poly is just as noticable so a fringe that covers it is a must for now.

On the fourth day the system started to itch a bit, mainly in the back. Due to having lived a large portion of my life under a helmet of hairspray I’m used to not scratching, but it is annoying.

Detached and reattached the whole system on my own after 6 days. I think it went fine even though I didn’t have all the right tools (got to get som hair clips!) Took me 3 hours but I’m confident it’ll be faster next time. Going to try the Noah method. Itching did not go away unfortunately.

Reactions
No one out on the town has looked at my hair twice, not even when it was at its poofiest, guess most people don’t look at strangers hair as much as I do

Met an old acquaintance and her outspoken 12 year old on my third day of wearing. Havent seen them for maybe 3 or 4 years. None of them so much as glanced at my hair, I took that as a win. I have yet to meet anyone that knows me better though.

Question time!

1. Density and puff:
What do you think, does this amount of density look unnatural, or is it my mind playing tricks? According to the hairdresser the hair will look better after a few weeks, but is it normal to have to go through weeks of looking this way until it settles? You don’t see that in advertisements If so, how do you explain the sudden shift in puff to your colleagues each time you change systems?

Am I doing the right thing by getting a lower density unit right away instead of waiting for my current one to flatten out? Hairdresser thinks I just have to get used to having more than I did before, but I’m not sure. When looking at other people, even young guys, their hair typically seems to be thinner/less than mine but maybe it’s also attributed to what hairstyle they have. The only thing I’m worried about with the lower density unit is getting a bald spot in the crown – the crown on my current unit looks excellent.

2. Cutting the borders of a new unit to match the scalp: Is it standard procedure to attach the system to the scalp first and then cut away the excess on the sides? When the hairdresser did this last time the edges of the cut unit were a bit uneven and in som places overlapped my bio hair. Not noticable by sight but definately by touch, could probably get my fingertips 2–3 mm under the unit in the back and sides. I think i mitigated this issue a little bit when reattaching (trimmed it a bit) but still definately noticable, would never fool anyone if they were to run their fingers through my hair. Does it ever get less noticable? Difference between different kinds of systems? Anyway, I don’t think this is my biggest problem since other people usually keep their fingers to themselves.

What bothers me more is that when cutting the base, he ended up also cutting some of the units hair quite close to the scalp, maybe like 1–5 mm short while the rest of the hair in the area is closer to 5 cm. These short hairs poke out through the longer hair (again noticable by touch, not by sight). When I pat my hair on the edges of the unit these short hairs feel like small needles, and I think they are the main reason behind the itchiness of the unit. They also force the longer hair to lay a bit on top of them, but maybe I’m nitpicking.
I have looked at DIY vids of cutting in a new unit and they all stress on making sure to NOT cut the hairs, just the base material. Those vids was for lace units though, is poly different?

3. Haircut: I need help. Desperately. I want a ”modern” haircut that look natural and where the system is undetectable by sight. I don’t mind spending a bit of time on it, within reason.
I’m almost ok with my look on the third and fourth day so long as I don’t brush it or get wind in it (puffs right up) but can’t get over that it looks a bit juvenile/feminine, especially since I have quite soft features overall? Like a 15 year k-pop idol.

I still think fringe is the way to go, at least for this kind of unit. I’m questioning my tastes and would love some input from other people and to get some pictures that I can show the hairdresser when I go for my next cut in! Anyone else with a fringe haircut that have pics to share? Maybe lace or a 0,03 mm poly would allow better for a semi-exposed hairline? Will have to try in the future.

4. Bounce, and getting the hair to do what you want: How do you do it? My unit is new and untamed. I find than changing hairstyle is really hard unless the hair is completely wet, when the hair dries it goes back to how it was before attempting to style it. The system hair is stiff when dry and has almost no bounce. I feel like this is a problem for fringe haircuts where you can’t really sum it up to hair products making the hair stiffer. Does leave-in conditioner help with this? (I asked the hairdresser and he didn’t have any for sale, will have to order online).

Leon

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Leon

Despite the issues you mention, I think that's a good-looking result. The colour match is perfect, and the cut also looks very good to me - totally believable and natural. I assume you are combing the hairpiece hair forward over your sides to cover up recession or thinness in your side hair. For future systems you might consider achieving the same effect by adding temple flaps to your design, but what you are doing also looks fine in the context of that haircut. Probably no one but another hairpiece wearer would even notice it.

As for your questions:

1. Density and puff:

Personally I think the density you have looks fine, and not noticeably"puffy". It is normal when you put a system on for the first time to feel that the hair is implausibly voluminous, but that is just our minds playing tricks. Objectively, it looks normal. I don't think you need to reduce your density - it seems age-appropriate to me.

It is true, though, that new systems do usually look a bit pouffy, so there is a change when you retire an old one and get a new one. It is because the knots tying the hairs to the base tend to be tied in such a way that the hairs stand up. After a week or so, the knots have relaxed, allowing the hairs to lie a bit flatter. You can help the process along by wearing a beanie or a ballcap over your new system for a day. Honestly, though, no one will notice the change but you. As you are already discovering, people just don't pay that much attention to other people's hairstyles. No explanation will be necessary.

2. Cutting the borders of a new unit to match the scalp:

Some salons who use stock systems do habitually attach the system and then cut the base down to size when it's actually on your head. I think the practice originated because the systems were pre-glued, so they couldn't match the base to a template, which is the other way of doing the same thing. Cutting the base down on the head strikes me as a somewhat sloppy practice, although in fairness, if it is done carefully it should still produce an accurate-fitting system, albeit with an irregular rough-cut shape. In your case the stylist has been unable or unwilling to take the care necessary to get that accurate fit.

There definitely should not be any gaps or overlaps, and you are entitled to insist on the salon adjusting your system till they get it right. It is crucial to getting a result which is reasonably undetectable to the touch, which is part of what you have paid . You just need to be firm with them and make them do it again.

The other issue you mention - cutting the hairs while trimming the base down to size - is another instance of sloppiness or maybe inexperience. Poly is not different from lace in this respect. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to remedy this problem for your current unit. For the future, if you go for a new unit from this supplier, you should raise the issue with them and make it clear that you expect it not to happen again. You could try to get them to make a template of your hairpiece area, and trim your next unit against the template, off your head. They may or may not be willing to do that.

3. Haircut:

I am a fan of undercut styles. They are fashionable, they look masculine, they are easy to look after, and the short-cropped sides are a good way of covering up thinning or recession, which a lot of us hairpiece wearers suffer from. They don't really go with a fringe, but you don't need a fully exposed hairline either. I just brush the frontal hair forward and flick it up with a bit of wax or paste, and that works well for me.

4. Bounce, and getting the hair to do what you want:

The system hair should feel pretty much like normal hair, and be styleable like normal hair, particularly when the system is brand new. If the hair on your unit is stiff and dry that may mean your supplier is using coarse or over-processed hair. There is not much you can do about that except change suppliers. A leave-in conditioner or something like argan oil ought to help by making the hair more supple.

Noah

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's Dope...color match n cut in blend in the back and sides everything looks amazing...great result dude..

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks Noah for posting for Leon and agree 100% with what you said.
Leon, congrats ! the style suits you very well. I know it's hard at first to adapt, but you will find, testing various hair products, what work for you.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The density actually looks good enough for your age. I always advocate for lower densities but that one seems reasonable!

I completely agree on fringes being the way forward.

Final one is what country are you in?