Positive Impact Thanks To Finally Taking The Right Steps

Matt3535

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I know this is the impact section which is usually filled with the worst emotions and aspects of this forum (which is understandable, it fucks with your mind). However, I want to spread some positivity for once because I genuinely feel better and more positive thanks to finally taking medication.

I started taking finasteride (0.5 daily) about 50 days ago. Taking the drug has been a huge relief. I no longer go to these forums here every day and while hairloss itself is still on my mind a lot, it feels more like a personal and private issue now. Like, I already am doing what I can to stop it. Maybe not everything I could, but still definitely a lot. I am in control to some degree and that gives me a lot of confidence and serenity at the moment.

Just wanted to share this to emphasize that you can also feel positively "impacted" ;)

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Totally relate, it's a life saver when you respond and you started off early.

Matt3535

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let me give everyone some advice. Do not go around asking people about side effects of this drug. If you signed up here, that's already a pretty good sign that your hair is worth a lot to you and that you want to keep it. Finasteride is the only way to do that long-term. Ask yourself this question: If you're beyond a Norwood 4, would you slap every available drug on your head in the hopes of some regrowth? If so, start now. Every body is different. Some people can take 1.25mg a day without problems while others do get side effects on 0.25. Ask an endocrinologist and get the drug. You can't possibly know what will happen until you try it out. A lot of people wish they'd started sooner.

Now, you're not a new member but I wanted to write in front my actual answer because people will go around looking at these posts and read all that stuff and it gets mixed up in their heads. I wouldn't say that I actively sense a side effect at the moment. The first few days I started out with 1mg a day and had a tolerable (but not long-term) pressure in my prostate and it felt like I couldn't completely empty my bladder. That vanished after a few days after I changed it to 0.25 a day. Later I upped it to 0.5 after 3 weeks or so. I will stay at 0.5 until further notice.

I do not believe in the mental fog stuff as a lot of people taking the drug already have a variety of mental problems that get mixed in with the reported actual side effects. I still get erections and morning wood. Sometimes I feel like it's only 95% but that's just crap. I believe that's mostly in your head. That pressure returns every few days for a few minutes but vanishes as soon as it came. When I'm active or busy, I do not think about it at all and that just shows me that it's alright. All in all I would say that I don't really have any side effects, just normal stuff that comes with taking the drug. I already have had gyno since I'm 17 so that's that.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I think if you seriously consider taking the drug, despite its side effects you are just prolonging the inevitable. You will either take it out of pure desperation when your hair is really shitty or regret the choice of not taking it all your life. Most people seem to be fine on it, so it seems like a Russian roulette where the odds are heavily in your favor.

My advice is just to take it, despite me getting persistent side effects. Just my luck, I suppose. You might wanna stop once you get side effects though.

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let me give everyone some advice. Do not go around asking people about side effects of this drug. If you signed up here, that's already a pretty good sign that your hair is worth a lot to you and that you want to keep it. Finasteride is the only way to do that long-term. Ask yourself this question: If you're beyond a Norwood 4, would you slap every available drug on your head in the hopes of some regrowth? If so, start now. Every body is different. Some people can take 1.25mg a day without problems while others do get side effects on 0.25. Ask an endocrinologist and get the drug. You can't possibly know what will happen until you try it out. A lot of people wish they'd started sooner.

Now, you're not a new member but I wanted to write in front my actual answer because people will go around looking at these posts and read all that stuff and it gets mixed up in their heads. I wouldn't say that I actively sense a side effect at the moment. The first few days I started out with 1mg a day and had a tolerable (but not long-term) pressure in my prostate and it felt like I couldn't completely empty my bladder. That vanished after a few days after I changed it to 0.25 a day. Later I upped it to 0.5 after 3 weeks or so. I will stay at 0.5 until further notice.

I do not believe in the mental fog stuff as a lot of people taking the drug already have a variety of mental problems that get mixed in with the reported actual side effects. I still get erections and morning wood. Sometimes I feel like it's only 95% but that's just crap. I believe that's mostly in your head. That pressure returns every few days for a few minutes but vanishes as soon as it came. When I'm active or busy, I do not think about it at all and that just shows me that it's alright. All in all I would say that I don't really have any side effects, just normal stuff that comes with taking the drug. I already have had gyno since I'm 17 so that's that.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
It took 8 months for my sides to start, I hope you never get them and it works. Even after my bout with side effects though I still tell everyone who asks to at least try it. It works just fine for a lot of guys.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score

Well written. Looking at all the evidence in terms of studies, it is safe for the majority of people like 98%. I'm with you, since being on the pill you no longer think about hair and if/when you do, it's more from a past interest POV rather than as a fear. We hardly have any approved treatments and actually this is the only safe one which allows you to keep your hair, without it, there is nothing since Minoxidil is not in that league at all. If you don't take finasteride, you're at the mercy of your genetics and DHT. It protects your donor are too and thus transplanted hair. With finasteride I have no depression like when I first thought I was going to lose my hair. Instead I've kept my dark wavy thick hair and my sex drive is still too high in my 30s. It's always worse losing good hair too. The converse is don't take finasteride, lose hair, get depressed and that can affect everything - physical health, mental and social/work e.t.c. Minoxidil alone is garbage and transplants alone mostly can't produce aesthetic hair to take someone out of bald territory. Of course I've seen some amazing transformations but it's amazing because it's rare and a lot came down to exemplary donor characteristics and surgeon artistry. You can't beat the hair that mother nature gave you. If hair matters to anyone, they'll take finasteride eventually, sides are rare and temporary. The bigger worry is getting on it late or having aggressive hair loss where it still helps a lot but your hair remains substandard or slowly thinning. Brainfog is commonly caused by depression among other endogenous hormonal abnormalities or psychopathology, finasteride hasn't been proven to cause this in some individuals.