Poll Regarding Diffuse Thinners & Finasteride Efficacy Duration

How long did/ has finasteride worked for you diffuse thinners (maintenance or regrowth)?

• Total voters

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting read.
Shows that if you keep up the fight, your body may start helping by not producing as much Testosterone (maybe?)
The study quotes:
"We observed that the patients older than 30 years had better responses than the younger ones (53.6% of patients with age between 31 and 40 years showed an improvement of hair growth at the first follow-up, 47.4% of those greater than 41 years had an improvement at the same time). Furthermore, there is a great part of young patients, 42.8%, that do not show an improvement also after 10 years"
I think it’s because when you’re older or experience hair loss later on, it’s less aggressive. If you start balding younger like me then you’ll probably respond better at first, but down the line finasteride loses its effectiveness & since the hair loss is more aggressive it’ll catch up.

Maybe this plays a little part since this level change would naturally cause other hormonal changes/imbalances? I still don't know what to believe about DHT sensitivity as we age too.
"Testosterone levels vary greatly among men. In general, older men tend to have lower testosterone levels than do younger men. Testosterone levels gradually decline throughout adulthood — about 1 percent a year after age 30 on average."

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
How come the young did not see much better improvement over the old ? I would expect the old would not see less improvement since their follicles had been fucked up for such a long time by DHT. So according to this study, the younger we start taking finasteride, the more fucked up we will be down the road ?
-----------------------------------------------
No, the younger you are, the more Testosterone, and thus the more potential DHT you will produce, and the more, quickly, you will bald IF you are susceptible...
The good news is if you start SOMETHING (rogain, saw paw, vitamins) and keep as much as you can long term, then your chances increase with age... IOW try to not be slick bald by age 26 and you have a chance to avoid NW7 land.....

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe this plays a little part since this level change would naturally cause other hormonal changes/imbalances? I still don't know what to believe about DHT sensitivity as we age too.
"Testosterone levels vary greatly among men. In general, older men tend to have lower testosterone levels than do younger men. Testosterone levels gradually decline throughout adulthood — about 1 percent a year after age 30 on average."
DHT sensitivity with age makes sense IMO. Body hair acts the same way, we keep developing body hair even in our 50's even though our levels are lower.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking Ru and finasteride for two/three years. After 18 months I had another phase of regrowth, but also got slight sides (libido and ejaculate quantity), so I took a break.
Now lowering dose/ might take finasteride and Ru on and off.

finasteride can last forever. Many of the long-term NW1 members were diffuse thinners. Look up swoop/swooping.