Poll Regarding Diffuse Thinners & Finasteride Efficacy Duration

How long did/ has finasteride worked for you diffuse thinners (maintenance or regrowth)?

• Total voters

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve recently started diffusing myself and feel as if I’m losing ground fast. I haven’t found anyone who maintained long term while diffusing yet either so here’s a poll to settle this.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
i had crown loss and diffuse thinning on the top of my head, i lost ground nearly a year on finasteride, recently switched to dutasteride. Oral minoxidil helped the thinning on top but hasn't helped my crown.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Used Finasteride for 11 month and haven't seen any benefits from it at all.

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The longest term study conducted so far revealed that about 80% of people using finasteride maintain above baseline even for 10 years. Keep in mind that users of these forums (including myself) are the shitty minority who either fails to maintain in the long term , doesn't respond at all, or are dissatisfied with results to some degree. So, never trust statistics based solely on members of a hairloss forums coz you will always be disappointed. People who get satisfactory results tend to forget about these sites. Keep that in mind, and know that you have a high chance of success, just based on evidence and more comprehensive samples. Live your life and relax for a couple of years. If you don't mantainnor don't respond at all, then you are welcome to join us here to desperately look for other alternatives :)

inmyhead

Reaction score
Doesnt work for my diffuse loss.

Actually, diffuse hair loss is a f*****g mystery for me. I walk and think random theories about it such as - perhaps all hair is in different dephs and the depth decides which hair falls first and which stays longest - that's why we get diffuse thinning and not the classical receding pattern. Skins gets slowly fucked up at different depth levels.

Last edited:

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was a diffused thinner. While I waited to see if finasteride was going to work I was able to cover up the thinning by growing my hair longer and using different thickening techniques. Keeping my scalp healthy and strengthening my hair was a priority just in case I didn't get any new growth. Toppik and the likes does an incredible job on some people here with diffused thinning.

There are a few follow-ups on long term effects already but here is one of them.
Finasteride, 1 mg daily administration on male androgenetic alopecia in different age groups: 10-year follow-up.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/downloads/Rossi_Finasteride_10Yr_ 2011.pdf

@Bigbone @recedingornot87 @Cowboys fan @stachu @Northface32 @CrownBalding --- 10-year follow-up study.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I cannot choose any of option, since finasteride works superior to me for diffussed areas ofcourse. Since i switched to 1mg/1.25 every day its even more superior. 2.5 years on and off. But finasteride didnt regrow even one hair on slick bald temples. Minoxidil woke temples up and finasteride just hold them. I am happy as f***. But yeah... Scared about loosing ground soon also. Hope not!!! :/

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
I was a diffused thinner. While I waited to see if finasteride was going to work I was able to cover up the thinning by growing my hair longer and using different thickening techniques. Keeping my scalp healthy and strengthening my hair was a priority just in case I didn't get any new growth. Toppik and the likes does an incredible job on some people here with diffused thinning.

There are a few follow-ups on long term effects already but here is one of them.
Finasteride, 1 mg daily administration on male androgenetic alopecia in different age groups: 10-year follow-up.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/downloads/Rossi_Finasteride_10Yr_ 2011.pdf

@Bigbone @recedingornot87 @Cowboys fan @stachu @Northface32 @CrownBalding --- 10-year follow-up study.
Interesting read.
Shows that if you keep up the fight, your body may start helping by not producing as much Testosterone (maybe?)
The study quotes:
"We observed that the patients older than 30 years had better responses than the younger ones (53.6% of patients with age between 31 and 40 years showed an improvement of hair growth at the first follow-up, 47.4% of those greater than 41 years had an improvement at the same time). Furthermore, there is a great part of young patients, 42.8%, that do not show an improvement also after 10 years"

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
An
Interesting read.
Shows that if you keep up the fight, your body may start helping by not producing as much Testosterone (maybe?)
The study quotes:
"We observed that the patients older than 30 years had better responses than the younger ones (53.6% of patients with age between 31 and 40 years showed an improvement of hair growth at the first follow-up, 47.4% of those greater than 41 years had an improvement at the same time). Furthermore, there is a great part of young patients, 42.8%, that do not show an improvement also after 10 years"
And this:
"Since miniaturization of scalp hairs in Androgenetic Alopecia develops over a period of many years, it is not surprising that reversal of this process may also take a number of years."

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
An

And this:
"Since miniaturization of scalp hairs in Androgenetic Alopecia develops over a period of many years, it is not surprising that reversal of this process may also take a number of years."
I hope they do a 20-year follow-up in 2021. There are at least 2 more long-term studies that should be coming out soon too. I was off of finasteride for a year and had miniaturization which grew back terminal after some time. Maybe not all, but most for sure. There were only 113 people in that study but it has some really interesting observations.

alibaba92

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope they do a 20-year follow-up in 2021. There are at least 2 more long-term studies that should be coming out soon too. I was off of finasteride for a year and had miniaturization which grew back terminal after some time. Maybe not all, but most for sure. There were only 113 people in that study but it has some really interesting observations.

How do you know ? Source ?

alibaba92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting read.
The study quotes:

How come the young did not see much better improvement over the old ? I would expect the old would not see less improvement since their follicles had been fucked up for such a long time by DHT.

So according to this study, the younger we start taking finasteride, the more fucked up we will be down the road ?

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive only been on it for 6 months now and I am below baseline. I took the drug for maintenance but ended up continuing to lose but my final pattern is a norwood 7 so that may be why. I want to keep taking it because I know the drug works slow but im also having problems with my dink so im pretty torn right now. This is causing me so much stress.

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The longest term study conducted so far revealed that about 80% of people using finasteride maintain above baseline even for 10 years. Keep in mind that users of these forums (including myself) are the shitty minority who either fails to maintain in the long term , doesn't respond at all, or are dissatisfied with results to some degree. So, never trust statistics based solely on members of a hairloss forums coz you will always be disappointed. People who get satisfactory results tend to forget about these sites. Keep that in mind, and know that you have a high chance of success, just based on evidence and more comprehensive samples. Live your life and relax for a couple of years. If you don't mantainnor don't respond at all, then you are welcome to join us here to desperately look for other alternatives :)

Thanks for this. I think I’ll give finasteride a try when I hit 17. I’ve been receding and diffusing months before I turned 16. I’ll probably go bald later on anyways, but I’d like to maintain what I have throughout college atleast.

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive only been on it for 6 months now and I am below baseline. I took the drug for maintenance but ended up continuing to lose but my final pattern is a norwood 7 so that may be why. I want to keep taking it because I know the drug works slow but im also having problems with my dink so im pretty torn right now. This is causing me so much stress.

There has been a lot of ppl from what I heard that respond around the 6th month mark or as long as long as a year. I’d keep trying till you’re 100% sure

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How come the young did not see much better improvement over the old ? I would expect the old would not see less improvement since their follicles had been fucked up for such a long time by DHT.

So according to this study, the younger we start taking finasteride, the more fucked up we will be down the road ?

I think it’s because when you’re older or experience hair loss later on, it’s less aggressive. If you start balding younger like me then you’ll probably respond better at first, but down the line finasteride loses its effectiveness & since the hair loss is more aggressive it’ll catch up.