Polichem

Badbald

Established Member
Reaction score
I think iv posted before about topical finasteride,

From my understanding finasteride only works by going systematic and effecting the gland itself that produces dht it dosent work by somehow going directly to the hair follicles and block dht there it blocks overall dht at the site of production and from there the lowered levels would be blocked everywhere including the hair, therefore a topical version of the same drug based on local blocking of dht wouldnt work as it wouldnt some how magically form a shield around hair follicles and stop dht the only way it would work is to get into the blood stream go to where its being produced and stop the production- so exactly the same as the oral form. if it was a different drug and worked in a completely different way then id be exited but its just finasteride so it dosent. I think short term our best chance of something within hairloss aiding would be a topical maintenance/ thickener which is why im interested but unfortunately i cant see it being this.

MickChong

Established Member
Reaction score
I think iv posted before about topical finasteride,

From my understanding finasteride only works by going systematic and effecting the gland itself that produces dht it dosent work by somehow going directly to the hair follicles and block dht there it blocks overall dht at the site of production and from there the lowered levels would be blocked everywhere including the hair, therefore a topical version of the same drug based on local blocking of dht wouldnt work as it wouldnt some how magically form a shield around hair follicles and stop dht the only way it would work is to get into the blood stream go to where its being produced and stop the production- so exactly the same as the oral form. if it was a different drug and worked in a completely different way then id be exited but its just finasteride so it dosent. I think short term our best chance of something within hairloss aiding would be a topical maintenance/ thickener which is why im interested but unfortunately i cant see it being this.

Ok thanks for the information and that makes sense. That's a bit of a blow to be honest, I was hoping this would be a nice step up from oral finasteride in that it would produce results but not at the cost of side effects. Your post seems to indicate that is not possible which is pretty deflating news to be honest.

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
They didn't look at hair counts in phase 2 mate at all; http://www.controlled-trials.com/ISRCTN19708972.

They just looked at the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of the solution with total N=32 over a very short period of time (7 days of application).

4 cohorts of N=6 for 4 different dosages with the SAME concentration 0.25%. Within each of those cohorts N=2 functioned extra as placebo (total 4x N=8).

It's a very weak study overall especially when you don't know the details.

The study was very short too. Don't confuse this with normal clinical trials.

Swoop, I'm curious what you make of this.
Looking for some expertise on whether or not a 5-ar inhibitor could even work at the follicle level, I got this answer from the admin at hairlosscure2020.com"

Hi breyfogle, there are number of studies on pubmed regarding topical Finasteride working. I would also think it unlikely that a company such as Polichem would get involved with lack of evidence of efficacy. Also, in my original topical finasteride post, please see the section under the blue text where I discuss Iranian and Thai findings. Finally, the Merck patent has a number of mentions of topical finasteride (do a ctrl-F search for all mentions of “topical finasterideâ€￾ in the below link):
http://www.google.com/patents/US5547957
It seems like the main issues are the carrier and a slow release mechanism.

Badbald

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the information and that makes sense. That's a bit of a blow to be honest, I was hoping this would be a nice step up from oral finasteride in that it would produce results but not at the cost of side effects. Your post seems to indicate that is not possible which is pretty deflating news to be honest.

Dont loose hope there, some people seem quite positive about it still so well have to see

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you expect to have happened in the 3 weeks since you started this thread? They're in phase III trials.

They started this trial in October/November of 2015. I was just curious if the trial finished or when it will

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
A phase III trial is at least a year. Depending on the region, certain products can get licensed to go to market DURING phase III testing but that approval also takes time.