Polarityte Update (demonstrates The Broad Utility Of This Novel Product Beyond Burn Care)

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release...on-of-skinte-on-first-patients-20171215-00288

PolarityTE, Inc. (NASDAQ:COOL) announced that human use of SkinTE™ is underway, and the product is now on patients, at multiple centers, within a variety of wound types and indications including acute and chronic wounds, burn wounds, surgical reconstructions and scar revisions. In addition, several patients with healed skin grafts, the gold standard treatment, have undergone removal of those grafts and replacement with SkinTE. Multiple medical centers have scheduled additional procedures through the end of 2017, and the Company expects an increasing number of applications during the first half of 2018 to meet market demand for the product. As clinical application grows, results and outcomes from the first group of treated patients are expected to be published throughout the first half 2018, addressing the many different patient populations treated.

"Application of SkinTE across this wide spectrum of cutaneous defects demonstrates the broad utility of this novel product beyond burn care, and we look forward to the results for all of the amazing patients being treated with SkinTE," said Dr. Denver Lough, Chief Executive Officer of PolarityTE. "We are confident and believe that SkinTE will replicate its preclinical success and help patients regenerate their own full-thickness, hair-bearing skin. We did not set out to bring another iteration to the field of regenerative medicine—we set out to change it entirely. Welcome to the Shift™."

Sounds like they are making progress. Maybe they will try to cure hair loss sooner than we thought considering how they want to treat many indications. What are your guys thoughts?

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release...on-of-skinte-on-first-patients-20171215-00288

PolarityTE, Inc. (NASDAQ:COOL) announced that human use of SkinTE™ is underway, and the product is now on patients, at multiple centers, within a variety of wound types and indications including acute and chronic wounds, burn wounds, surgical reconstructions and scar revisions. In addition, several patients with healed skin grafts, the gold standard treatment, have undergone removal of those grafts and replacement with SkinTE. Multiple medical centers have scheduled additional procedures through the end of 2017, and the Company expects an increasing number of applications during the first half of 2018 to meet market demand for the product. As clinical application grows, results and outcomes from the first group of treated patients are expected to be published throughout the first half 2018, addressing the many different patient populations treated.

"Application of SkinTE across this wide spectrum of cutaneous defects demonstrates the broad utility of this novel product beyond burn care, and we look forward to the results for all of the amazing patients being treated with SkinTE," said Dr. Denver Lough, Chief Executive Officer of PolarityTE. "We are confident and believe that SkinTE will replicate its preclinical success and help patients regenerate their own full-thickness, hair-bearing skin. We did not set out to bring another iteration to the field of regenerative medicine—we set out to change it entirely. Welcome to the Shift™."

Sounds like they are making progress. Maybe they will try to cure hair loss sooner than we thought considering how they want to treat many indications. What are your guys thoughts?

I'm sure this will heal a lot of FUE/FUT scars. Wondering if the healed areas could fully grow back hair or are they gone for good after a transplant.

dermrafok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sure this will heal a lot of FUE/FUT scars. Wondering if the healed areas could fully grow back hair or are they gone for good after a transplant.
Totally agree. This may be applicable to the field of hair transplantation.

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion, SkinTE could be applied to hairloss sufferers who have undergone FUT procedures and have been left with extensive, evident scars on the back of their heads. Nevertheless, SkinTE ain't no panacea. There is some very mild scarring left even with SkinTE. Still, great progress. Kudos to the scientists!

Last edited:

itsAlright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm repeating myself at this point, but this company excites me. No FDA trials, what a wonder. There are so many directions to go with the SkinTE product alone. Here's to hoping the hair that this skin bears is matched to the surrounding area. So if you have a burn on your arm it will match your arm hair, if you have a strip scar taken out for a transplant it grows back hair at the same density as the rest of the back of your head.

Outside of that, who knows, maybe they can find some way to isolate a form of SkinTE product that they can inject to induce hair growth.

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It will work on FUT scars but it requires a skin biopsy.

I had a phone conversation with Dr. Swanson who is COO and Vice President of PolarityTE over SkinTE and asked about that specifically because as you can see, I have a scar to deal with myself.

The application takes on the properties of the biopsy. So if you took a biopsy from say your back, the product can be applied to your FUT scar, but it would make the follicles present themselves at the same thickness and diameter as it was on your back. So the only reasonable area to take a biopsy from would be from your beard, a really hairy area, or from the back of your head which defeats the purpose unless it happens to result in more hair than the biopsy which he didn’t clarify on that so I’m not sure. It is good for scars though and makes the skin look indistinguishable according to them.

They did tell me they had derivative products in the making to address smaller scars and hair regeneration, but Swanson told me that for hair regeneration as SkinTE stands, would probably need to be altered to fit the needs of bald or balding patients to a point that can be satisfactory to them.

Another thing to note is that despite this regeneration, it’s not fully scarless healing. In the swine studies, It showed that the end result was a margin as they like to call it which is basically a small scar. He said that it is virtually seamless to the naked eye so I guess it would be fine if that same result translated to humans.

The biopsy is addressed with sutures as well which results in a linear scar so there’s that as well. A few cm squared biopsy can cover large areas of wounds up to 10% of your skin. So for now this treatment is ideal for burn patients who often lose large amounts of skin, but we can still hope they come up with something from their derivative products that he stated are being worked on right now in their Research and Development Department.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score

I had a phone conversation with Dr. Swanson who is COO and Vice President of PolarityTE over SkinTE and asked about that specifically because as you can see, I have a scar to deal with myself.

The application takes on the properties of the biopsy. So if you took a biopsy from say your back, the product can be applied to your FUT scar, but it would make the follicles present themselves at the same thickness and diameter as it was on your back. So the only reasonable area to take a biopsy from would be from your beard, a really hairy area, or from the back of your head which defeats the purpose unless it happens to result in more hair than the biopsy which he didn’t clarify on that so I’m not sure. It is good for scars though and makes the skin look indistinguishable according to them.

They did tell me they had derivative products in the making to address smaller scars and hair regeneration, but Swanson told me that for hair regeneration as SkinTE stands, would probably need to be altered to fit the needs of bald or balding patients to a point that can be satisfactory to them.

Another thing to note is that despite this regeneration, it’s not fully scarless healing. In the swine studies, It showed that the end result was a margin as they like to call it which is basically a small scar. He said that it is virtually seamless to the naked eye so I guess it would be fine if that same result translated to humans.

The biopsy is addressed with sutures as well which results in a linear scar so there’s that as well. A few cm squared biopsy can cover large areas of wounds up to 10% of your skin. So for now this treatment is ideal for burn patients who often lose large amounts of skin, but we can still hope they come up with something from their derivative products that he stated are being worked on right now in their Research and Development Department.

I wonder why smaller scars are more difficult?

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

I don't know how revolutionary their technology might be, but couldn't the biopsy be taken right under the FUT scar and be healed along with the rest of it?
Just sayin' ...

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score

Why not take a biopsy from the head to heal the white dot FUE scars?

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not take a biopsy from the head to heal the white dot FUE scars?
That would be too complex.
I think that FUE dots may be fixed with epithelial stem cell injections.
We will know within the next ten years.

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
That would be too complex.
I think that FUE dots may be fixed with epithelial stem cell injections.
We will know within the next ten years.
Whot?
Why complex? SkinTE has been made public by repairing small skin areas and is capable of more, so small FUE scars are the perfect condition for this product?

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whot?
Why complex? SkinTE has been made public by repairing small skin areas and is capable of more, so small FUE scars are the perfect condition for this product?
FUE scars are too small, less than a third of an inch/less than a cm, and thousands of them, whereas a FUT strip scar is an elongated scar (>4" long) with a width that ranges from half an inch to more than an inch (in very bad healings!).
It's a lot easier to cut the strip off and extend the biopsy skin with SkinTE than cutting all those dots off.
Do you get my point?

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
FUE scars are too small, less than a third of an inch/less than a cm, and thousands of them, whereas a FUT strip scar is an elongated scar (>4" long) with a width that ranges from half an inch to more than an inch (in very bad healings!).
It's a lot easier to cut the strip off and extend the biopsy skin with SkinTE than cutting all those dots off.
Do you get my point?
A healed FUT scar won't provide you with a lot of new donor hairs, it would just get the ugly scar done nothing more.

So the question is rather getting the follicles from an expanded skin than repairing the donor area. İf this is too complicated say again bye to your donor

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
A healed FUT scar won't provide you with a lot of new donor hairs, it would just get the ugly scar done nothing more.

So the question is rather getting the follicles from an expanded skin than repairing the donor area. İf this is too complicated say again bye to your donor
I can't really follow your thought.
A) SkinTE works with biopsies,
B) the new skin has hair.
So, why not remove the scar (as in scar reductions), take a small biopsy, to boot, and then, have the SkinTE technology implemented on your headback, which guarantees hair-bearing skin with minor (almost undetectable) scarring?

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't really follow your thought.
A) SkinTE works with biopsies,
B) the new skin has hair.
So, why not remove the scar (as in scar reductions), take a small biopsy, to boot, and then, have the SkinTE technology implemented on your headback, which guarantees hair-bearing skin with minor (almost undetectable) scarring?
I was thinking about taking a biopsy of your donor, expand the skin with SkinTE and new hairs and finally implent them back like a normal hair transplant and throw the new and not needed damaged skin away.

Removing the FUT scar and replacing it with a new healthy strip should provide more problems like stretching the scar and area again etc.

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was thinking about taking a biopsy of your donor, expand the skin with SkinTE and new hairs and finally implent them back like a normal hair transplant and throw the new and not needed damaged skin away.

Removing the FUT scar and replacing it with a new healthy strip should provide more problems like stretching the scar and area again etc.
I think you are a little bit ignorant of how SkinTE works.
I don't know much more, either, but the new skin is applied on an open wound, I believe.

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know how revolutionary their technology might be, but couldn't the biopsy be taken right under the FUT scar and be healed along with the rest of it?
Just sayin' ...

Since SkinTE works as a paste, I thought the same thing about taking the biopsy and then them using their 3D platform technology to expand it and re-apply on both the area to be treated and the biopsied wound, but the turn-around for that is several hours (depending on how close you are to their facility) at the very least because the biopsy has to be sent in to them to undergo what they call polarization which is expanding the biopsy and converting it into a paste like substance. While you wait on that, your wound can’t just stay open so it has to be closed and sutures are the only way they can think of I guess which as we all know results in a scar. Wondered if it could be re-opened once you receive the SkinTE construct, but I imagine that would be too invasive as it already is a bit invasive and he didn’t give me enough time to cover more on that particular question that I asked him. Right under the scar probably wouldn’t work since you’d have to excise the scar as well and that would be a pretty big gap. Do we even have that kind of elasticity? I don’t know. Usually multiple strips are able to be taken but only because the skin has healed and elasticity can be restored to an extent.