Please Help Me Understand How These Two Transplants Can Have Such Different Results??

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
4EF61008-7F3B-411D-9015-5BB0AEC16B5E.jpeg
1E9B1B40-2080-4E86-BFA0-CEE451485650.jpeg

I don’t get it. Top = ????? Bottom = stellar result.

The thing I find confusing is why is it that in general Norwood 5 is like a cliff you drive off of. I mean, we can see hundreds and hundreds of great results on Norwood 3s and 4s. So you figure - well, Norwood 5 and 6 don’t have enough donor to cover everything. Understandable. So you imagine you’d see some thinning, crown looking very weak, etc. But no, when you see NW6 results, the hair is wispy, sparse, diffuse, sickly looking...in short, a total disaster. I do not understand.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
top guy basically has zero hair on top anymore so any meds there on wouldnt bring too much regrowth. so the density isnt great. plus his hair is wet and spiked up. making it look even thinner

bottom guy has a dry combover with longer hair making it look thicker. has more native hair on his scalp so meds could work better and regrow more hair

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
top guy basically has zero hair on top anymore so any meds there on wouldnt bring too much regrowth. so the density isnt great. plus his hair is wet and spiked up. making it look even thinner

bottom guy has a dry combover with longer hair making it look thicker. has more native hair on his scalp so meds could work better and regrow more hair

How many native hairs would you say the bottom guy has in his before pictures? It hardly seems like it could be much, but perhaps you’re right and that’s what makes the difference.

Also top guy seems like maybe he has DUPA?

But I’m really wondering about NW6 results in general. I see David Dimuzio (prob a 5 though) and Joe Tillman - while their hair isn’t perfect, it looks acceptable. But as I said above I see lots and lots of pathetic NW6 results that are awful, not worth it at all. I don’t get why there’s so much variance.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
i dont know man. but you can see he has hair everywhere apart from the temples, so he could have responded to well to meds, making the hair transplant look better than what it really was

but even in that middle picture you can clearly see how thin his hair is still. so it might not have made that much difference

honestly man im no expert, dont listen to me :D

i actually listened to joe the other day. he said his results are not the norm. something about his scalp having high laxity or some sh*t o_O

allowing him to have more surgeries than most people and therefore more grafts to use. or something like this. basically his results are above average.

but im with you man nw6 hair transplants are dog sh*t. if you can deal with it and look decent in any way i think its best to just accept it at that point and just buzz it.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
this guy had 20,000 grafts with a very good surgeon and his results are only decent, not great

his original hair sucked so he really couldn't get any better than that.

i guess i myself have kinda been thinking of hair transplant's as a "cure", as in you get a few surgeries and you can magically have teenage boy fabio hair again; when all a hair transplant actually does is move your side and back hair on top; meaning to get an idea of the hair you will have just look at your sides.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
i dont know man. but you can see he has hair everywhere apart from the temples, so he could have responded to well to meds, making the hair transplant look better than what it really was

but even in that middle picture you can clearly see how thin his hair is still. so it might not have made that much difference

honestly man im no expert, dont listen to me :D

i actually listened to joe the other day. he said his results are not the norm. something about his scalp having high laxity or some sh*t o_O

allowing him to have more surgeries than most people and therefore more grafts to use. or something like this. basically his results are above average.

but im with you man nw6 hair transplants are dog sh*t. if you can deal with it and look decent in any way i think its best to just accept it at that point and just buzz it.
@sunchyme1, you really sound like you are an expert. You have enough experience on here by now.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is simply down to donor hair quality. The first guy has poor thin hair were the second one has thicker hair shafts.