Planning On Lowering My Hairline, Who Should I Go To?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Putting grafts into a scar can be effective. I am certain that FUE can produce results on par with FUT, such as this one:

IdealForehead: if you need your hairline brought down by 4cm then aren't you suffering from male pattern baldness? I'm intrigued. So you're one of those unlucky people who were born with a very high forehead? If that is the case then why are you taking "anti-balding meds"?
@mattj, nice case. How old was this guy? What density is that packed at? He has thick hair.

hairlineboii

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes i was born with a horribly high forehead. I have never experienced a day of carefree hair in my life. I am hoping i will know what that feels like in a few months when my healing is complete.

I have had mild hair loss which i now have perfectly under control with aggressive drugs. I would use even more aggressive drugs if necessary in the future. So i am not worried about future balding.

OP yes you could try to camouflage the scar if you go bald with lasers. Everyone scars differently so it is unpredictable. If you get transplants into the scar and then go bald you will end up with a line of transplants at the front your head and nothing anywhere else. You will then have to get your transplants removed.

None of this is good surgery for a man who is not prepared to treat his baldness should that day come. Almost all men experience recession with age.
I see. Do you think you would have balded even more if you were not taking these drugs? How long after the surgery did you notice it, and where exactly on your head did you lose hair?

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see. Do you think you would have balded even more if you were not taking these drugs? How long after the surgery did you notice it, and where exactly on your head did you lose hair?

I have been balding for 10 years now. Slowly. My hair loss proceeded to a nw2 with some thinning to a nw3. In the 6 months preceding my surgery on aggressive drugs i reversed the deep thinning and improved the hairline contour as well. I have not been losing any more hair on a daily basis for months now on this regimen. I have had zero shedding in the 3.5 weeks since my surgery now and expect none going forward.

Without the drugs i would have ended up completely bald like most men do with enough time.

hairlineboii

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been balding for 10 years now. Slowly. My hair loss proceeded to a nw2 with some thinning to a nw3. In the 6 months preceding my surgery on aggressive drugs i reversed the deep thinning and improved the hairline contour as well. I have not been losing any more hair on a daily basis for months now on this regimen. I have had zero shedding in the 3.5 weeks since my surgery now and expect none going forward.

Without the drugs i would have ended up completely bald like most men do with enough time.
Okay, I see. I'm happy for you! So in other words, you have not lost any particular hair since/because of the operation? And do you think you would have, if you were not on these medications and did not suffer from receding hair?

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, I see. I'm happy for you! So in other words, you have not lost any particular hair since/because of the operation? And do you think you would have, if you were not on these medications and did not suffer from receding hair?

If youre asking if the procedure can directly cause male pattern baldness, then no i do not believe that. It is absolutely possible for it to cause shock loss. But that is usually temporary. As my treatments are anti-inflammatory i do think they have helped to reduce my risk of shock loss.

Loss from blood vessel damage depends more on the skill of the surgeon and mine was good.

Lastly if youre going to have male pattern baldnes that will happen either way. You can read a thread about galeal tension and how that causes hair loss here:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ttern-balding-androgens-are-secondary.113256/

Read the whole thing before asking any questions about it as there were a lot of repetitive questions the first time i dont want to answer again.

In theory changing or increasing the galeal stress by stretching it down could exaccerbate any tendency you have to balding and even kick it off. I don't know. That's speculation.

Either way you should assume you will lose hair and recede without hair drugs as you get older since almost all men do.

You are 20. In 5 years you might recede and then you will have a great hair line for 5 years and 60 years of stress over the likely ugly scar. Keep in mind the hairline scar is done delicately but the deep cuts back to mobilize the flap are just stapled together and will make an ugly scar for sure if exposed by balding.

My final advice to you is don't do any surgery to lower your hairline of any kind unless you are prepared to treat your baldness when it almost inevitably starts. You are acting for short term gain but then creating a much bigger potential long term problem. If that is your nature so be it. It is not mine. I think about the future a lot.

You can just wear your hair down like owen Wilson if you want. That's what i always did pre-surgery.

Think it through but know what youre getting into either way. And know that transplants will in every way be a worse option it you do go ahead for the reasons discussed above so definitely don't do that.

RegrowthPlease

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are not balding and were born with a high hairline, you DO NOT want a hair transplant.

I was where you are. My forehead from what I recall measured around 10 cm from hairline to nasion:

View attachment 85799

This was way too big and I have hated it my whole life. A few weeks ago, I got it fixed, but not by transplants. By forehead reduction. Forehead reduction is the only procedure that can eliminate a large amount of forehead while retaining natural density and hairlines.

eg.
View attachment 85800

A transplant will never match more than 50% of your natural density. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX IT THIS WAY. It won't look right.

The best doctors probably in the world for this are Dr. Fleming and Dr. Mayer in California. They have extensive experience with all sorts of advanced scalp procedures. I went with Dr. Fleming and I've been extremely happy, though I'm still healing.

If you want more than 2 cm reduction, you will need a balloon expander implanted first, which you will have to expand over the course of 6-8 weeks to stretch the scalp more to get more motion.

I had 5 cm removed as they took a bit of the frontal hairline out during the recontouring process after 500 mL fluid expansion. My nasion to hairline measures around 5.7 cm now which is relatively compact nicely proportioned to my face.

Rahal quoted me 2400 grafts to lower my hairline which would have created a horrible outcome. It would have looked horribly thin and abnormal.

Read up on this procedure and think it through. The only warning with this procedure is you can't go bald after it, or it will leave a linear scar across your forehead exposed. So be prepared to take heavy drugs if needed should you start to suffer from male pattern baldness or don't do it. You need to preserve the appearance if you do go ahead.

Just curious, what's your measurement with a tape measure from nasion to hairline?

Where did u get the information from to measure a forehead height from nasion to hairline? Most people would measure it from the top of the browline to the hairline. http://www.ilht.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/5-PartlineRestorationViaSkullCurvature-846-final.jpg

I'd imagine your method of measurement would be grossly inaccurate for those with big brow ridges.