Pilofocus Presentation On Scarless FUE

Sparky4444

Reaction score
The presentation Dr. Wesley gave at the recent conference Oct 2013 has been released... Google it and you'll find it....I don't think I can post the link here because it's on a competing website...think about it and you'll figure it out...

...As far as I can see, this WILL BE the way to go...If I go in for the FUE, it will be THIS WAY...check it out...

I will be doing this at some point when it comes out, there is NO DOUBT!

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
It's great and all, but at the end of the day, you're still moving hair from A to B.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
It's great and all, but at the end of the day, you're still moving hair from A to B.

..yeah..and that's bad how?? This technique is unreal...This Wesley guy is the real deal and knows his stuff...There will NOT be anything better than hair transplant's to get back cosmetically appreciable results through the next 10 years...for has hopeful as I am about Follica, I think that will be just effective enough to give some sparse coverage to help fill in some areas, but it won't give you back the thick dense coverage we want

Sparky4444

Reaction score
For people that almost never get visible scars like me, this technique does not add much. A little less lost grafts but that's all.

dude, why do you keep talkin smack when you don't know what the hell you're talking about

- - - Updated - - -

did you even watch the presentation?? If you did, then watch it again, because for someone who's going for a hair transplant you should be more up-to-speed than this

XXXXXXX

Banned
Reaction score
..yeah..and that's bad how?? This technique is unreal...This Wesley guy is the real deal and knows his stuff...There will NOT be anything better than hair transplant's to get back cosmetically appreciable results through the next 10 years...for has hopeful as I am about Follica, I think that will be just effective enough to give some sparse coverage to help fill in some areas, but it won't give you back the thick dense coverage we want

Exactly, you THINK. You have no idea what people are cooking up behind closed doors. Your assumptions are useless.

Anything that involves moving hair from A to B is stone age treatment, scars or no scars.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Exactly, you THINK. You have no idea what people are cooking up behind closed doors. Your assumptions are useless.

Anything that involves moving hair from A to B is stone age treatment, scars or no scars.

My assumption's are useless?? There will NOT be a solution to get back results on par with a hair transplant for years --- we KNOW THAT!!! Now, I hope Follica is going to surpass expectations, but HOW MANY TIMES have we been disappointed -- because the solution to hairloss is VERY COMPLICATED...From what we're seeing with IN-HOME derma-rolling, if Follica can't give better results than that with all the money and technology they're pouring into this, it would be pretty sad -- because there are some pretty encouraging results coming from the DR crowd over here..

..but what others are cooking behind closed doors will be years away because, as far as we know, they haven't even gotten to Phase I trials...Look at Repli-Cel -- there still a few years out and they're really producing nothing but a lot of talk

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://www.drcarloswesley.com/scarless_surgery.html
This was in trial since 2011, wonder how we did not hear about it earlier.
Not sure why you are arguing about, no scars is good if it happens. If wesley gets the same yield as strip + no scars, how is this not good? This would be a major improvement, but not cure, what there is to argue about.

Some people talk about regeneration but this is just fantasies by helpless dreamers here, not a word of that on his website (even if there is, I would take that with a iceberg of salt).

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is my response to the regeneration claims from another forum:

If Pilofocus can be done on body hair, a lot of people will be set. My legs are really hairy, and all the hairs are just as thick and long as the hair on my head. I like my hair typically around 1-2 inches in length.

Does anyone know if a BHT with Pilofocus could be done? That plus safe donor zone hair should give some serious options for some people.

As for the regeneration bit, here's a screenshot from the presentation of the possible regeneration:

2u9h10g.jpg

Now, if that photo is legit, then regeneration DOES happen... with Acell. Let's hope Cooley and Wesley pull it off. They do that, I'm making a large 'donation' to the both them in the form of copious amount of champagne and other alcohol.

I get the feeling that with the regeneration bit, there may not be so much 'hype' from Dr. Wesley right now is due to:

a) Pilofocus has been in the works for a while, thus all the focus will be on THIS being presented
b) Regeneration hasn't been ironed out, so to me it'd be stupid to hype it up before we could reproduce the results consistently. Otherwise, it has the potential to ruin his credibility

Dr. Wesley *did* mention in the presentation that regeneration will be further investigated in 2014.

Having said that... looks like 2015 is going to be a pretty big year for hair loss sufferers with more confirmed news from Replicel, Histogen, Dr. Wesley's/Cooley's regeneration and potentially something from Follica seeing how theyre halfway through clinical trials. The race is tight..... and money is more important to any of these guys than the sympathy card.... or even integrity.

Actually, heres something else to think about!

I'm now curious as to what would happen to these extraction sites on bald areas with Acell. The only way I can see regeneration happening is if there were some kind of remnant parts of the follicle creating a regenerated follicle. But lets assume the entire follicle is removed and Acell is applied and we get 'regenerated' follicles.

Has Dr. Wesley not tried making these extraction holes below the skin on slick bald areas and applying Acell? NO HARVESTING REQUIRED! And no recipient implant time either!

2qdy5o0.gif

Sparky4444

Reaction score
...why not just apply minoxidil to the donor area, i.e, like the Dermarolling angle...I mean, isn't this the ultimate in wounding?? Somebody tell Wesley lol

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

You sure are, but with Pilofocus you're getting nearly 100% success rates with harvested and implanted follicles. So moving hair around without any scars doesn't automatically set you up for any kind of 'failure'. What's nice is that you can always move hairs back.

BUT, suppose the regeneration claims are true. Why not harvest from the donor area.... and harvest again from the recipient area? Pilofocus keeps the follicle completely intact. No one would ever be able to tell you had any kind of procedure, its scarless. You could have it done 10X, it wouldnt matter.

Here's the other thing... if youre assuming your going to go bald, and regeneration DOESNT work (I hope this isn't the case) I would just get the maximum number of grafts possible right off the bat. IF youre going to go completely bald... well then, doesnt matter, might as well enjoy a significant improvement for the next 'X' number of years (maybe even score a woman in that time!?).

What I really wanna know though, is how Pilofocus could be used on body hair. My legs are riddled with hair... so, lets do some math!

My lower part of my legs (shin) is about 40cm in length. Lets be conservative with numbers and say its 35cm. Circumferance here is also around 38cm, so lets say 35cm. Around my thigh I get hair up to about 15cm in length with a circumferance of about 48cm. Lets say 45cm.

I'm NOT counting the knee either here. So lets no figure out the area!

Lower leg = 35cm * 35cm = 1225cm/2.
Upper leg = 15cm * 45cm = 675cm/2

I've thankfully got both legs, so that means 2 * (1225 + 675) = 3,800cm/2

Dayum, thats a lot!

Now... density! I've got about 4-7 hairs per cm/2. Depends on area. Let's say 4 hairs, and this is a low figure.

3,800 * 4 = 15,200 hairs!

On average, a hair follicle has about 2-3 hairs, so 2.5. Now lets divide:

15,200 / 2.5 = 6,080

We've got roughly, or at least (using conservative numbers) 6,000 follicles to harvest from legs ALONE... and without regeneration. I'll take hair off my arms too, but I won't count this figure (although these hairs would be awesome on the hairline for a fine natural look).

So, now we also have our donor hair from back and sides of head... which can be anywhere from 4,000 (low end) - 8,000 (if youre lucky) follicles... again, without regeneration.

I myself would need about 3,000 follicles to go back to basically an NW1-2 with good density. Hell, I could take just 1,600 grafts on hairline/temples and use leg hair for density everywhere else and I could finally get on with my life. But for higher norwoods... BHT with Pilofocus could do some amazing things. The problem to date with BHT has been survival rate of follicles... Pilofocus is supposed to alleviate that.

I hope Dr. Wesley seriously considers body hair. But more importantly, I really hope regeneration WORKS; one megasession and many of us would be DONE with this nightmare! :)

Sparky4444

Reaction score
...I just want the guy to start offering this asap....The biggest thing for me is it's the best bet right now to maximize your donor area to it's fullest, without butchering it...FUT is a joke, no way...

Kalio

Reaction score
Hellouser, I believe leg and arm hairs are susceptible to thinning and falling out when aging. Hence thats why elder people almost always have hairless arms and/or legs.

theRA

Established Member
Reaction score
Hellouser, I believe leg and arm hairs are susceptible to thinning and falling out when aging. Hence thats why elder people almost always have hairless arms and/or legs.

those hairs just migrate to their shoulders.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hmmm.... that's still fine with the scarless procedure though! If youre gonna go completely bald, hair transplant or no hair transplant, it won't matter. Suppose it does fail to grow after a certain time, it could still be a fantastic 'bridging' decision until something superior comes out.

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hellouser some individuals like me have mainstream donor on back of head BUT they also have mostly singles..... that sucks and recalculates the hole thing badly.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
hellouser - Were we not meant to see the presentation that Artista and Spence were shown?? We only saw the one that was presented at the IAHRS conference. God I really hope Dr Wesley is onto to something here!!

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
hellouser - Were we not meant to see the presentation that Artista and Spence were shown?? We only saw the one that was presented at the IAHRS conference. God I really hope Dr Wesley is onto to something here!!

There's this:

http://vimeo.com/77919975

password: piloscopy

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
There's this:

http://vimeo.com/77919975

password: piloscopy

Yeah but that was the one that Spence aired on his show ;) There was another one that only Artista and Spence saw as far as I'm aware that dealt more with regeneration. Do you not recall Artista talking about that?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah but that was the one that Spence aired on his show ;) There was another one that only Artista and Spence saw as far as I'm aware that dealt more with regeneration. Do you not recall Artista talking about that?

I think that one was private and may remain so, I'm not sure. It's hard to keep up with all the information available from every emerging biotech, doctor, discovery, etc. Seems like the last 3-5 years have seen the MOST progress ever in search of a cure for hair loss. All of this combined, my memory gets a bit hazy...

Kalio

Reaction score
Hmmm.... that's still fine with the scarless procedure though! If youre gonna go completely bald, hair transplant or no hair transplant, it won't matter. Suppose it does fail to grow after a certain time, it could still be a fantastic 'bridging' decision until something superior comes out.

That's true. Since the falling out of these hairs usually occurs in the 50-and beyond age range, it might be a perfect bridging decision untill something better comes to market. (Surely by the time we're 50, we should expect a cure to be available.)