Pillows, Pillows, Pillows..??..

G

Hey guys, I searched the forums and didn't find anything on this, and it's bugging me so I figured I'd make a thread.

Ok, bottom line, what's the deal with pillows? Do they have any effect on hair loss at all? Before anyone says, "hats don't do it, so pillows don't", remember this, hair is usually thinner on the side we sleep on, so somethings up.

Personally I switched to satin pillows after I noticed the balding, I don't know if it did anything, but meh??

Any thoughts?? :freaked: :x :hairy: :freaked2:

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Insane. And most people arent thin on the side they sleep on. Their thin all over their horeshoe.

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
On the news a few weeks ago it said that the average pillowcase has more bacteria then the average toilet seat.

docj077

Reaction score
G

I'm surprised there aren't more people chimming in. Everyone I've talked to says the same thing, hair is always thinner on the pillow side. Mine is a hell of a lot thinner there, rediclously so. Hair dressers, websites, and personal experiance tell me there is something to it.

Is sleeping on my back the answer? Where do ya buy silk pillow covers anyway? Satin isn't cutting it.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
mark16v said:
you switched to satin? I hope that was a joke :lol:

No, actually, I've read in several different places that satin pillow cases are the way to go. Something about causing less friction between your head and the pillowcase - and not yanking your hair out as you toss and turn.

Felk

Reaction score
The japanese had almost no hair loss before westerners came and they slept on wooden "pillows" - there's another observation ;p

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Satin is in fact the way to go; I noticed a big reduction in shedding when i made the switch

s.a.f

Reaction score
This forum gets worse and worse :roll:

powersam

Reaction score
actually satin pillows give you testicular ear cancer.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
This thread is a wind-up.

powersam

Reaction score
michael barry said:
More pics for you to study Armando,

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum ... ast_answer

Plug hair combed forward for 20 years....................still there, but baldness continued all around them. Hmmmmmmmm

thats interesting for other reasons though hey. foote explains it by scar tissue negating the edemic pressure, bryan via varying androgen receptors. michael barry? you've talked alot about how the wreath still thins, where does this fit with you?

beaner

Reaction score
I can't believe this post actually got 16 responses.

michael barry

Reaction score
powersam,

I believe much like Bryan does that your head hair has a varrying sensitivity to male hormones generally from front to back.

balding scalp has 3 times (and sometimes more) as much DHT, so we know the alpha five enzyme "gets busy" in balding men's follicles, but more androgen receptors are present in balding hairs/scalp also.

We probably not only inherit the genes that make more 'active" alpha five reductase, but also genes that make more androgen receptors in dermal tissues. Tom Hagerty has pointed out that for years he has notices that balding men's foreheads and faces seem to sweat more when they dance (Tom likes to ballroom dance).

Balding men might also have somewhat more active immune systems. High testosterone people might have more active immune systems in general from what Ive read, so when things go bad in the balding hairs, the immune system is even more capapble of attacking the hair as a "bad guy". This may have to do with TGF-beta overexpression as Doctor has pointed out, or it may just be too many anti-gens expressed in the follicle gets it marked as a "foreign body" by the travelling immune-maker cells, which hang around for T-cells to notice and to begin the oxidization, inflammatory cytokine, killer-cell attack later.

I believe in the standard theory of baldness. I recently skimmed an article by Kurt Stenn (the "godfather of hair" and a researcher of Aderans as well as the one time head of dermatology at Harvard) and Ralf Paus, a noted European resaercher on hair. They are learning more and more about hair.