Pieces with low density. Took me a while

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Took me years to learn that pieces with a lower density are so much more realistic looking then these walls of hair I was using when I first started wearing. And the blending...a couple snips with thinning shears here and there and it is perfect because there is not a ton of hair to be blended in.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Took me years to learn that pieces with a lower density are so much more realistic looking then these walls of hair I was using when I first started wearing. And the blending...a couple snips with thinning shears here and there and it is perfect because there is not a ton of hair to be blended in.
I’ve talked about this very topic for A lot! It absolutely makes a huge difference.

RunsWithScissors

My Regimen
Reaction score
Agree. I never understood why they make them with so much density. Nobody older than their 20s has hair so thick.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One of the things I do to keep my hair looking realistic is changing styles. New systems start off longer and with shorter sides (bio hair).then as the system she’s I let the sides grow a big and then cut length off the system. Then next time cut the sides and leave thd system length. What I discovered from this is there are so many styles I can pull off. I by no means have thick sides, and have been surprised it’s not really been an issue…. My only real advice here, make sure your system is put on perfectly. Mine was off slightly, and I did notice some really thin spots on the side I part my hair on.

Photos are different styles all look very realistic
C7DF3896-3877-4389-90D3-E063EC783ACA.jpeg

Attachments

• 39E18F3F-E6DE-4D64-88EF-CC77EBF53018.jpeg
    39E18F3F-E6DE-4D64-88EF-CC77EBF53018.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 245
  • A4166AA2-2172-41DD-B777-8D3EBBFA0E89.jpeg
    A4166AA2-2172-41DD-B777-8D3EBBFA0E89.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 238

threadkilla

My Regimen
Reaction score
That looks amazing and does not look like a piece...fair play...best I have seen in a long time...:)

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
must have been custom hair peice..looks very natural and age appropriate
Thank you for the compliment.

the photos in my first post are not custom. I have 40% gray vented is, that’s it. This is a lace front, poly perimeter. pretty standard stuff.

I use a salon for my cut in and maintenance. This is where the realness happens. I order light density with a graduated hairline. The graduated hairline prevents that wall of hair on the hairline effect. From there its Just styling ( including color as needed) and thinning. I am Constantly pushing my stylist to go thinner beyond her comfort zone. But at 60 years old its unrealistic to have really thick hair. If whats left of my bio hair was thick I might could pull it off, but it isn’t, and I can’t!

About 6 months ago I did move to a custom system. I wanted a gray patch right where I part my hair. I’m The first person to ask for this customization at my salon and in hindsight we would have requested it differently. We pit 100% gray and as a result I get this flash of gray-kinda giving me what I call the “Cruella Deville” effect. So we thin that spot down to give the brown hair around that patch a chance to blend in. I’m eagerly awaiting my next two systems. We changed that Gray spot will be 80% gray. Along that region where I part my hair, we increased the gray percentage slightly.

this Is with that gray patch. I’ve gone from longer hair to now short hair.

Attachments

• 8EF26196-4167-4C2D-B5D2-1608D7F9EFCD.jpeg
    8EF26196-4167-4C2D-B5D2-1608D7F9EFCD.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 57250103-D6CD-435F-BAFC-C175F27ED9DA.jpeg
    57250103-D6CD-435F-BAFC-C175F27ED9DA.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 183
  • EE064EF0-71A6-45F9-B8A8-F6470CFD4398.jpeg
    EE064EF0-71A6-45F9-B8A8-F6470CFD4398.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Diesel guy this is exactly what I do too! I tinker a lot with my custom system, even when I think the previous one looks great. It's half the fun isn't it - playing around with the percentages and the colours. I'm 50 and have gone for a blend of black, dark brown and then around 15% grey. More grey around the edges because my bio hair is more grey.

Density is always a challenge and I have to push my (very good) stylist to thin more each time. Normally I go for 70% but my next order is a 65% density and I'm keen to see how it'll play out.

Also important to have a receding hairline, as I see in your pictures.

I find it helps massively to have the hairline in a lighter colour and then dye to my darker choice of black/brown. Pics attached to illustrate. This was a 70% density that looks much thinner at the front due to the dying method. All UTS by the way.

Attachments

• a22.jpg
    a22.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200730_120350_1.jpg
    20200730_120350_1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 167
  • 20200729_103018_1.jpg
    20200729_103018_1.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 174

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Density is always a challenge and I have to push my (very good) stylist to thin more each time. Normally I go for 70% but my next order is a 65% density and I'm keen to see how it'll play out.

Also important to have a receding hairline, as I see in your pictures.

I find it helps massively to have the hairline in a lighter colour and then dye to my darker choice of black/brown. Pics attached to illustrate. This was a 70% density that looks much thinner at the front due to the dying method. All UTS by the way.
your hairline looks amazing! I wish mine looked like that every time ! I had never thought about ventinf In an additional shade of brown. That effect is spot on! I think it’s interesting that you also have to push your stylist to thin more.

i wear hair for me, and I’ve always wanted to be able to change my look from day to day with hairstyles. Now I do. I Never made it a secret that I wear hair and that has given me a bit of flexibility to play around with styles and lengths. What I won’t do tho is make changes so drastic that it drawn unnecessary attention.

on my next system we’ve made changes to the gray - and added more on the side where I part my hair. I think I’ll like the effect

jeepwrangler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
o_O geeez these systems look great!
I’m in my early 30s so I can get away with more density but as I age it’s nice to know there’s options.

how long do these systems last if they’re lower density?

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m in my early 30s so I can get away with more density but as I age it’s nice to know there’s options.

I typically go three Months.

there are other people who are much better at the whole maintenance process than I am that get substantially more life out of one system.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Anywhere from 3 to 6 months, depending on how much you use/abuse it and the level of degradation you're prepared to put up with. I've always said that, in my experience of UTS:-
1. first 2 weeks are horrible because the hair is too new, too dark, too bouncy, and too much of a shock change from the previous system.
2. Next ~2 months are perfect as the hair settles down and colour fades a little. UTS hairline remains invisible and easy to hide.
3. Next ~2 months are OK. UTS hairline gets more difficult to hide.
4. Anything beyond 5 months is a bonus but requires additional care, like re-colouring the hair, trimming dead UTS from hairline, extra conditioning etc.