Over One Year In And I'm Losing Hope

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You're a real bundle of joy.

People have had success without finasteride - I was one of them. I'm concerned as to why I then lost so much of what I gained. You'd think it just wouldn't work at all.

I'm considering finasteride. If my situation doesn't improve over the next few weeks then that'll be an option, for sure. I'm just cautious, given the potential side effects. If I do go with it, is it a good idea to take very small doses initially and then a regular dose if no sides appear? How bad is the shed? I'm not really in a position where I can afford to lose much more. This is all stuff I'm trying to figure out.

That's just how minoxidil works even for good responders, you get a huge spurt for 3-6 months and then its effects taper off over a couple of years. Unfortunately no studies have been done combining minoxidil with other treatments.

couldbebetter

Reaction score
That's just how minoxidil works even for good responders, you get a huge spurt for 3-6 months and then its effects taper off over a couple of years. Unfortunately no studies have been done combining minoxidil with other treatments.

I didn't really get a huge spurt, though. It just stopped my hair loss and improved the quality of my hair - which resulted in it looking thicker. I assumed it'd keep working for as long as I was using it. This is horrible.

Again, I'm going to give Nizoral a chance. Extra hair loss loosely coincided with stopping Nizoral, so it's possible that I'll have some success if I start again. If not, I'll seriously consider finasteride. I'm wondering if this is even worth it. I see people on here on all these regimens, but are they happy with their hair? I suppose if even finasteride doesn't make me happy I can just shave it off. I said I wouldn't use it, but maybe I'll have to.

If I respond to finasteride, will I regrow hair? Is that likely, even now? Will it be temporary? Will I have to add some other drug in a year or two to keep finasteride working?

Last edited:

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all welcome to the forums mate.

Get on finasteride and keep minoxidil. Don't be paranoid and don't worry too much.

In short: minoxidil boosts your hair for a few months, but It doesn't fight dht, the cause for baldness. So eventually you will loose your hair anyways.

The only proven therapy is finasteride. The only way to find out if you get sides is to try it out.

Don't drop minoxidil, it might work synergistic with finasteride.

With a proper regimen it is very likely that you will keep your hair for decades to come.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't really get a huge spurt, though. It just stopped my hair loss and improved the quality of my hair - which resulted in it looking thicker. I assumed it'd keep working for as long as I was using it. This is horrible.

Again, I'm going to give Nizoral a chance. Extra hair loss loosely coincided with stopping Nizoral, so it's possible that I'll have some success if I start again. If not, I'll seriously consider finasteride. I'm wondering if this is even worth it. I see people on here on all these regimens, but are they happy with their hair? I suppose if even finasteride doesn't make me happy I can just shave it off. I said I wouldn't use it, but maybe I'll have to.

If I respond to finasteride, will I regrow hair? Is that likely, even now? Will it be temporary? Will I have to add some other drug in a year or two to keep finasteride working?

Minoxidil just extends the growth phase of the hair. It doesn't stop any from getting weaker or falling out from DHT damage. Finasteride actually stops the directly and many people have been on it for 15 with long term efficacy. Why would you bother with just adding nizoral when you'll OBVIOUSLY lose more hair that way? Just get on propecia.

If you don't mind shaving it off like you say, then shave it off. But you're like a norwood 2 looking towards a norwood 3, so still in the sweet spot of treatment being able to work and being able to style your hair to some extent. Why do you WANT to delay and let more hair fall out?

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You're a real bundle of joy.

People have had success without finasteride - I was one of them. I'm concerned as to why I then lost so much of what I gained. You'd think it just wouldn't work at all.

I'm considering finasteride. If my situation doesn't improve over the next few weeks then that'll be an option, for sure. I'm just cautious, given the potential side effects. If I do go with it, is it a good idea to take very small doses initially and then a regular dose if no sides appear? How bad is the shed? I'm not really in a position where I can afford to lose much more. This is all stuff I'm trying to figure out.
because any gains without a DHT inhibitor are temporary. This has always been known.

couldbebetter

Reaction score
Thanks. Okay. I guess I'll give finasteride a go, then. Maybe. It's a big decision.

What can I expect from the shedding? I've been on Minoxodil for a while, might that mean it'll be worse? Or better? Or nobody knows? Is it a good idea to try taking finasteride in smaller doses to begin with, to see if I develop sides?

f***. I'm terrified. In a few months I'll either be bald, dickless, the same, or mildly content.

How long does it usually take for side effects to manifest if they do manifest? Obviously I don't want to buy 6 month's supply if I'm only using it for a week. Is it common to get sides, and for those sides to then disappear as your body gets used to it? Do I risk permanent damage if I continue using it if I do experience sides?

What about fertility? I've heard it can f*** with that, even causing birth defects. Is that something I need to consider? If so, how?

Last edited: