Over One Year In And I'm Losing Hope

couldbebetter

Reaction score
So I've been using Minoxodil since August 2015 and Nizoral since February 2015. I got modest results out of it - enough that I could feel confident with the right haircut. I looked okay. However, I seem to have regressed slightly. A lot.

My hair is still healthy - one of the primary benefits I got out of using Minoxodil was that it made my hairs much thicker and darker - no more pale and wispy hairs. However, there seems to be far less of it now than there was a few months ago - maybe even less than from before I started. Now I appear to shed whenever I use Nizoral (which I stopped using for a few months, and recently started using again), and my scalp is often in a state of mild discomfort, like it's burning. I thought the Nizoral would fix it, but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect now. It's like everything has stopped working.

My hair still looks reasonable, since it's still dark and healthy, but there's so much less of it now. A few months ago I noticed it was getting worse, but I assumed it was just another shed and would stop within a couple of weeks or months, but it's still falling out. My hairline isn't suffering too much - still somewhere between NW1 and 2 - closer to 2 - but overall density has taken a massive hit. Today I was blowdrying my hair, and could see virtually my entire scalp when my hair was lifted up.

What's more is that I have this patch of hair near my crown (off to the side) that's much shorter and possibly (I'm not sure) slightly thinner than the rest of my hair. I have no idea what that's about, but it isn't helping. It's led me to apply more Minoxodil to the crown area, just in case.

It also doesn't help that Minoxodil is so oily, and actually makes my hair look even thinner - an effect that is magnified now.

Before I noticed the (extra) thinning I got a haircut, and was actually pretty chuffed by what I saw. That is to say, I saw very little scalp. Got a haircut a couple of months ago and it was a horror house.

I've got dense clumps of short, weak hairs particularly around my hairline and (now I look closely) a ton of very, very small, dark-ish hairs there too which I don't entirely remember being there before. Then again, maybe that's wishful thinking. Either way, there's no way of telling if they're on their way up, or on their way out. Such, I suppose, is the nature of small hairs.

At the end of 2014 I was considering shaving my head. I'm at that point again. The only major regimen changes have been that I stopped using Nizoral for a couple of months, and I stopped using Alpecin at around the same time. I wasn't convinced that Alpecin was particularly helpful, but it did counteract the dryness that Nizoral caused. Maybe it was good, who knows?

I know about finasteride. I'm not keen on using it, not least because whenever I mention it to any doctor they don't seem terribly supportive of it. It's also expensive (I'm in the UK) and I'm not too happy about the potential side effects.

So I'm not really sure what to do. I've had a policy of "ride it out" for a couple of months now, expecting all the shedding to end, but it hasn't. There have been ups and downs for sure, where some days I lose very little and other days where I lose a lot - and it's not even the worst shed I've had. It's just so persistent.

Sorry for the essay.

ItsAllOnYourHead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would try propecia, side effects are much over hyped on here and everywhere.

Use finasteride which is the generic form of propecia. I'm in the uk as well, i pay about £80 for 6 months, I think that's pretty good.

couldbebetter

Reaction score
I would try propecia, side effects are much over hyped on here and everywhere.

Use finasteride which is the generic form of propecia. I'm in the uk as well, i pay about £80 for 6 months, I think that's pretty good.

It's okay, but still too much when you put Minoxodil on top of that.

ItsAllOnYourHead

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's okay, but still too much when you put Minoxodil on top of that.
Depend how much you Value keeping your hair. £160 a year to help keep your hair seems pretty cheap, seeing as some people would happily blow that amount on a couple of nights out.
Plus you can buy a years supply of Kirkland minoxidil foam for like £80 as well from monoxidil-direct

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you just venting or do you want advice?

minoxidil is more expensive than finasteride, at least where I am from. I really don't think money should be a deciding factor in whether you take finasteride or not, as it is a very cheap treatment compared to most drugs. If you are continuing to lose your hair, finasteride is your only other option. So either live with your hair loss or get on the cheap treatments that are available, and hope that it works for you.

couldbebetter

Reaction score
I suppose I'll think about it then. Where would you recommend I get finasteride from in the UK?

I just don't get why it would stop working. I'd heard that there's sometimes a shed after using for a year, but I didn't think it'd be this bad. I was doing okay without finasteride - I certainly felt like the hair loss had more or less halted at the very least. If I don't use finasteride will it continue to get worse? Will it eventually get better? I guess the latter is less likely. I didn't want it to get to this point - I didn't want to have to be forced into using drugs that I don't want to use, or just lose my hair - I've put so much work into it already.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I suppose I'll think about it then. Where would you recommend I get finasteride from in the UK?

I just don't get why it would stop working. I'd heard that there's sometimes a shed after using for a year, but I didn't think it'd be this bad. I was doing okay without finasteride - I certainly felt like the hair loss had more or less halted at the very least. If I don't use finasteride will it continue to get worse? Will it eventually get better? I guess the latter is less likely. I didn't want it to get to this point - I didn't want to have to be forced into using drugs that I don't want to use, or just lose my hair - I've put so much work into it already.
Minoxidil often isn't strong enough to hold onto your hair if you aren't on a 5-ar inhibitor (finasteride). So even if you are a responder to minoxidil you can continue to lose hair. And it is near impossible to say whether it will continue to get worse without finasteride, but there is a good chance. It still isn't guaranteed but finasteride is your best bet at keeping your hair and possibly regrowing some. Everyone responds differently to these treatments.

And I have no idea where to get it in the UK, as I live in the USA. Possibly online? Could start another thread asking about that.

ItsAllOnYourHead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just got my supply from Drfox an online uk chemist. But there's plenty more just make sure you look for good reviews.
Only you can decide what you want. I'm starting off taking finasteride because I know that taking a pill a day for the rest of my life is more releasic than using a foam for the rest if my life.

couldbebetter

Reaction score
Well as I mentioned, I've got this weird patch of short/thin hair on my head. It's like a bald patch where a bald patch shouldn't be. I was doing fine - it was going okay. I don't get why it would suddenly decide that it needs an inhibitor when it was managing fine, more or less, without. I know Nizoral is supposed to block DHT, and I did stop using that (and before then I was heavily rationing it) so maybe that had an impact - though I've heard varying accounts of how effective it's supposed to be. I doubt Alpecin played much of a role, though I might give it another go.

If I do decide to use finasteride, I want to give Nizoral a chance first. It, presumably, worked before so maybe it'll work now. I only started using it again a couple of weeks ago - I used it every day for about 5 days and it fried my hair (I suppose I was playing catchup, I also had a little bit of psoriasis which is why I was prescribed it in the first place) and have now decided to use it twice a week. After each wash I've noticed I lose a lot of hair when combing, and I'm concerned that I've developed some sort of intolerance to it.

couldbebetter

Reaction score
I just got my supply from Drfox an online uk chemist. But there's plenty more just make sure you look for good reviews.
Only you can decide what you want. I'm starting off taking finasteride because I know that taking a pill a day for the rest of my life is more releasic than using a foam for the rest if my life.

I started out with thin hair and wanted to increase density. That's fair reasoning, though. Have you been using it for long? What's your experience been so far?

ItsAllOnYourHead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just started. If you look at my posts you can see my starting pics.
Finasteride reverses the thinnning process by blocking dht that thins it in the first place. If your just looking to add density or thickness of the hair you have like me then finasteride is the thing to use

couldbebetter

Reaction score
Just started. If you look at my posts you can see my starting pics.
Finasteride reverses the thinnning process by blocking dht that thins it in the first place. If your just looking to add density or thickness of the hair you have like me then finasteride is the thing to use

Good luck to you. If I was in your position I wouldn't mind so much - you've got nearly 10 years on me. The thing is that I know so many guys my age who are pretty much bald, but they don't seem bothered by it. I wish I could stop caring. Maybe if I do shave my head then I will. I'm told my head is a good shape for shaving - I asked my barber if he thought it'd be a good idea - and I've got a reasonable jawline, which is a plus. Ears don't stick out either. If it comes to it I don't think I'll look like a complete freak if I do shave it off - and doing so is always at the back of my mind.

ItsAllOnYourHead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good luck to you. If I was in your position I wouldn't mind so much - you've got nearly 10 years on me. The thing is that I know so many guys my age who are pretty much bald, but they don't seem bothered by it. I wish I could stop caring. Maybe if I do shave my head then I will. I'm told my head is a good shape for shaving - I asked my barber if he thought it'd be a good idea - and I've got a reasonable jawline, which is a plus. Ears don't stick out either. If it comes to it I don't think I'll look like a complete freak if I do shave it off - and doing so is always at the back of my mind.
Maybe post some pics

couldbebetter

Reaction score
Maybe post some pics
I don't know what that would achieve.

I'm a diffuse thinner, lost anywhere between half and two-thirds of my hair. Also a Norwood~1.5/2 hairline. No appreciable bald spot, bar a patch of shorter hair at the top/side of my head that escapes explanation, though the thinness of my hair does make it look patchy.

I'm going to give it at least another few months. Maybe I'll try finasteride, maybe I won't. I don't know. Thinking of seeing a therapist as well - depression has been hitting me like a truck lately and the hair loss is at least partly to blame. I'm finding it hard to cope.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
no finasteride mention in Op's post

no pics

GVRYA1J.gif

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did mention it. I said I wasn't comfortable with it.

No pics because I didn't think it was necessary. It's not like I'm posting a before and after.

If no finasteride (the only scientific drug against hairloss) why u even on this forum?

you should join http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/

and implement bald beast protocol

couldbebetter

Reaction score
If no finasteride (the only scientific drug against hairloss) why u even on this forum?

you should join http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/

and implement bald beast protocol

You're a real bundle of joy.

People have had success without finasteride - I was one of them. I'm concerned as to why I then lost so much of what I gained. You'd think it just wouldn't work at all.

I'm considering finasteride. If my situation doesn't improve over the next few weeks then that'll be an option, for sure. I'm just cautious, given the potential side effects. If I do go with it, is it a good idea to take very small doses initially and then a regular dose if no sides appear? How bad is the shed? I'm not really in a position where I can afford to lose much more. This is all stuff I'm trying to figure out.

couldbebetter

Reaction score
Since people are so keen to see:

Hairline is pretty bad, overall density is pretty bad, plus I've got this random thin patch. Isn't where one would normally expect to find a bald spot (pretty much on the top of my head and off to the side). That patch appeared very recently, within the last couple of months, maybe last few weeks.