Oral minoxidil great results what you think

oddmood

My Regimen
Reaction score
One problem with drinking minoxidil is that the ethanol used, is denatured ethanol and not the ethanol used in human consumption.

bulli103

Reaction score
you are wrong....if it would be, they would have to declare it....
(in collaboration with Prof. Dr. J. De Weert, dermatologist)
The Minoxidil solution is best prepared with pure ethanol. If denatured alocohol is used, irritation dermatitis on the scalp occurs quite frequently, which is sometimes confused with allergic contact eczema on mainly propylene glycol.

bulli103

Reaction score
my minoxidil has no denatured ethanol...it depends on the brand.....denatured ethanol you can not drink...

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Malomun

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been 4 months on oral minoxidio 2.5mg hair density has improved getting tons if ingrown hairs which could seem as a good side

blub10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I suspect we'd have a lot more success stories with oral min if people used 1.25-2.5 mg oral min and waited longer for results. 5 mg and above has caused myself, and many others, side effects that result in discontinuation.
I'm using 1.25 mg/day after trying higher doses that had unacceptable side effects.
What is your source? I only got capsules with 5mg each

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Currently using Rx tabs that I split. I have previously used volumetric dosing of Rogaine, which was the first time I saw regrowth (Jan-Mar 2019). There is nothing wrong with using the topical liquid orally as long as you know how to measure properly.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Currently using Rx tabs that I split. I have previously used volumetric dosing of Rogaine, which was the first time I saw regrowth (Jan-Mar 2019). There is nothing wrong with using the topical liquid orally as long as you know how to measure properly.
The tabs are easier and pretty cheap I think but you still need either a prescription or an offshore vendor--mine doesn't offer loniten--but the notion of drinking the topical to me is devious and a perfect "head" solution, i.e., druggies always find a way to get their meds by being creative.... They need to just sell the pills otc.

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i have pure minoxidil powder and measure 5mg every day and put it in a vegetable capsule, since upping to 5mg i have experienced facial bloating and maybe darker eyes but im not sure. will wait and see if it goes away, i do take torsemide 5mg on some days to help with the bloating but i dont think its doing much if theres concentrated water on specific regions of the body, definitely helps but dont know how healthy it is

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i have pure minoxidil powder and measure 5mg every day and put it in a vegetable capsule, since upping to 5mg i have experienced facial bloating and maybe darker eyes but im not sure. will wait and see if it goes away, i do take torsemide 5mg on some days to help with the bloating but i dont think its doing much if theres concentrated water on specific regions of the body, definitely helps but dont know how healthy it is
Seriously, use less and have more patience and you may be rewarded. Every time I have been greedy with oral minoxidil I have been forced to quit due to what it does to my skin. This time I will keep the dose between 1.25 and 2.5 for 6-9 months. It's been 3 months and I'm still okay in terms of side effects. Fingers crossed...

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Seriously, use less and have more patience and you may be rewarded. Every time I have been greedy with oral minoxidil I have been forced to quit due to what it does to my skin. This time I will keep the dose between 1.25 and 2.5 for 6-9 months. It's been 3 months and I'm still okay in terms of side effects. Fingers crossed...
If its only the skin side effects im doing stuff to synthesize way more collagen for exactly that such as tretinoin, a full blown skincare routine, collagen peptides etc, my skin is looking better might i add, i was with 1mg for a few weeks then 1.75-2mg for 2-3 weeks and started 5mg(closer to 4.5mg) a week ago or so, maybe il drop down to 3.5mg and see from there

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
5 mg may be okay for you. Skin doesn't end with the face. Back of hands and inner elbows seem to be affected in an extreme manner. Over the last three years, I am only aware of a few who can handle high doses 5 mg or greater) for long periods of time: @AnxiousAndy, @Derelict , @JaneyElizabeth , and @bridgeburn are the ones who come time mind. Keep us posted.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
5 mg may be okay for you. Skin doesn't end with the face. Back of hands and inner elbows seem to be affected in an extreme manner. Over the last three years, I am only aware of a few who can handle high doses 5 mg or greater) for long periods of time: @AnxiousAndy, @Derelict , @JaneyElizabeth , and @bridgeburn are the ones who come time mind. Keep us posted.
I am barely above that now but I did use 12.5mg for several months. I have experienced no sides that I would have minded as a male very much. My body hair below the waist is more vigorous but my torso and underarm hair have not returned and I didn't even need removal in these areas. They just stopped once my estradiol levels reached female levels. Because I have used both electrolysis and laser removal, my beard hair has gotten scratchier due to the laser-removed follicles never really being gone, just mostly destroyed and that and some stray hairs around my brows and eyes are the main negatives. I am also on an extreme regime that might dissipate any hypertrichosis. But yes, my hands and arms are somewhat more hairy and I have had removal in these areas.

Basically, all of this can be managed by shaving, depilation, removal and plucking so I wouldn't avoid going up to 15 mg as a male provided there are no worries related to hypertension. But because hypertension can be a serious thing, I don't recommend going above 2.5mg to 5 mg unless a person knows what he or she is doing and accepts the risks. The hair growth/regrowth from oral min is vigorous and you can tell if it is working by the hypertrichosis so you sort of want some increase in body hair. As always though, I am on a pretty advanced and complicated stack so the best advice if they are out there might come from someone on oral min monotherapy who has tried different levels.

I have seen worrisome hypertrichosis on an individual that can be seen on the @bridgeburn thread at page 5, called antidhtor and that put me off oral min for a while but the hypertrichosis appears to stop upon stopping usage of oral min so that is less of a concern. It all depends on the value one places on hair regrowth vs. sides. My hair regrowth matters more to me right now than having to pluck and depilate all of the time and I do get laser removal on face and body every few months. Electrolysis is often more painful but it is permanent but it takes a loooong time. I did three weeks straight two hours a day and it still hadn't gotten all of the peach fuzz left by laser. The eyelash effects though to me, are fantastic and oral min seems to work better on lashes than latisse so I plan to stop latisse, which is good because it is un-Goddessly expensive.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am barely above that now but I did use 12.5mg for several months. I have experienced no sides that I would have minded as a male very much. My body hair below the waist is more vigorous but my torso and underarm hair have not returned and I didn't even need removal in these areas. They just stopped once my estradiol levels reached female levels. Because I have used both electrolysis and laser removal, my beard hair has gotten scratchier due to the laser-removed follicles never really being gone, just mostly destroyed and that and some stray hairs around my brows and eyes are the main negatives. I am also on an extreme regime that might dissipate any hypertrichosis. But yes, my hands and arms are somewhat more hairy and I have had removal in these areas.

Basically, all of this can be managed by shaving, depilation, removal and plucking so I wouldn't avoid going up to 15 mg as a male provided there are no worries related to hypertension. But because hypertension can be a serious thing, I don't recommend going above 2.5mg to 5 mg unless a person knows what he or she is doing and accepts the risks. The hair growth/regrowth from oral min is vigorous and you can tell if it is working by the hypertrichosis so you sort of want some increase in body hair. As always though, I am on a pretty advanced and complicated stack so the best advice if they are out there might come from someone on oral min monotherapy who has tried different levels.

I have seen worrisome hypertrichosis on an individual that can be seen on the @bridgeburn thread at page 5, called antidhtor and that put me off oral min for a while but the hypertrichosis appears to stop upon stopping usage of oral min so that is less of a concern. It all depends on the value one places on hair regrowth vs. sides. My hair regrowth matters more to me right now than having to pluck and depilate all of the time and I do get laser removal on face and body every few months. Electrolysis is often more painful but it is permanent but it takes a loooong time. I did three weeks straight two hours a day and it still hadn't gotten all of the peach fuzz left by laser. The eyelash effects though to me, are fantastic and oral min seems to work better on lashes than latisse so I plan to stop latisse, which is good because it is un-Goddessly expensive.
that is one of my main concern. If you develop hypertrichosis from oral min, and you do laser hair removal, the unwanted body hair will keep growing back if you keep taking the medication?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
that is one of my main concern. If you develop hypertrichosis from oral min, and you do laser hair removal, the unwanted body hair will keep growing back if you keep taking the medication?
It could. In my experience even though I have very high estrogen levels, stopping spironolactone also made my beard scratchier almost immediately and then the minoxidil orally increased that a bit more. I have gotten a ton of electroysis too and those don't grow back or recover. I believe that at some point mechanical removal which includes waxing, depilating and laser removal destroys the integrity of the follicle to the point that it will never regrow completely but touch-ups might be necessary. I have not done as much body hair removal because above the waist, I had few issues that couldn't be handled by periodic depilation or shaving.

It really is risk/reward in terms of whether substantial hair improvement is available via oral min or whether it is not that much better but causes hypertrichosis. I think that titration is our friend here. My situation is that I sort of have a ball to attend and I might like to attend it without my wig so I have the pedal to the metal so to speak and I will taper down at some point both in oral min dosage (I already have) and in terms of pg/ml of estradiol down to something more like ~300 pg/ml which is a healthy manageable level likely to be feminizing for most people. ~2,600 pg/ml is not likely maintainable in a completely healthy fashion, according to my doctor but given that I am using primarily parenteral estrogen, it might not be bad to hit such levels at all periodically, just like pregnant females. That might be where the really good hair is according to what @bridgeburn wrote and it is commonly acknowledged that pregnancy is good for hair but post-pregnancy not so much.

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah its really weird cause even now at around 4mg im definitely seeing more extersion from the side effects. dont understand how people can do 10mg without bloating or skin effects or even palpitations which i did have for 2 nights on 5mgs, scary stuff. i would guess if i had side effects that would mean that i would also have positive side effects like regrowth but its too early to tell and i think il drop it in a few weeks, seems pointless if im just gonna have to keep taking for any regrowth i achieve.