Oral Minoxidil - Anyone Have Any Thoughts On This?

Kyle889

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I recently went to a PRP hair loss doctor and he wants me to switch to a low dose oral minoxidil that I'm sure he gets kick backs from as I can only get it from one pharmacy (I don't think I am actually going through with the PRP just yet FYI). Anyway I do have scalp inflammation so not applying any type of semi harsh rogaine would be beneficial. He also prescribed me a steroid lotion for my scalp inflammation.

Anyway just wanted to know if anyone has taken oral minoxidil and what their thoughts are on it. Or if anyone has any thoughts on it in general based on research or even personal opinions, they know a guy ect.

Thanks

Kyle889

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man. Didn't know/think to search for loniten. I did search for Oral and Oral minoxidil thought using the search function.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Kyle, im the poster Gizmo quoted. Ive been on Oral minoxidil 10mg for 40 days now and i can confirm i am getting regrowth! I only have loss at my hairline and temples, it is starting to fill in nicely now. I had a shed that lasted a couple of weeks, i'll admit i was scared because of the rogaine shedding horror stories but it subsided eventually. Its not noticable to others right now but i can definitely see it when i check in the mirror.
I have only one side effect which is extra hair growth everywhere! My hands are getting hairier and my beard is thicker and growing in faster.
Some of my newly grown scalp hairs are thick and look terminal! If things keep up at day 90 i should be a Norwood 2 :D
If you have any questions i will be happy to answer

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Had any side effects?
None at all! I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night. Well.. i suppose you could include unwanted hair as a side effect but its a small price to pay for what the oral minoxidil is doing to my scalp ;)

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow that's very nice!

No problems with heart rate, bloodpressure,...?
Nope! Heart rate is same as now as it was before treatment. Ive not had my bloodpressure checked since i've been on the loniten but im not experiencing any of the sides associated with low BP so im confident that it is within the normal range :)

Kyle889

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cool man that's awesome to hear. According to my PRP Doctor he said only about 70% of people have the enzyme required to process topical minoxidil and that he has had better luck prescribing the pills. Idk how true that is but I just started with the pills he gave me a few days ago. I went for a run in the gym yesterday and felt a little light headed after. I've felt like that before after a really hard workout but I'm sure it was from the minoxidil pills as to why it was a stronger than usual. Anyway hopefully I balance out and I don't get any sides on this stuff.

Have you had any fluid retention issues? I'm a little concerned it's going to change the fluid in my face or in my gut and make me look fat or off potentially. Anyway I don't have much hair in my beard as well as other areas of my body tbh so it probably won't be a bad thing if I start growing more hair elsewhere except I will have to pluck my faint unibrow lol.

Anyway thanks for the reply man. I appreciate it.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
No fluid retention at all. Regarding what your doctor said, topical minoxidil only has about a 30% success rate. It is the oral that has the roughly 70%. Light headedness is a side effect of oral minoxidil but it should go away with continued use.

Reactions: Oro

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
So I recently went to a PRP hair loss doctor and he wants me to switch to a low dose oral minoxidil that I'm sure he gets kick backs from as I can only get it from one pharmacy (I don't think I am actually going through with the PRP just yet FYI). Anyway I do have scalp inflammation so not applying any type of semi harsh rogaine would be beneficial. He also prescribed me a steroid lotion for my scalp inflammation.

Anyway just wanted to know if anyone has taken oral minoxidil and what their thoughts are on it. Or if anyone has any thoughts on it in general based on research or even personal opinions, they know a guy ect.

Thanks

Kyle, did you stay on the oral minoxidil? i know the Doctor you are referring too. i had prp by him and it sent me into a shed that killed my hair for a while. i had 2 treatments and he tried to tell me my shed was due to the oral minoxidil, BUT i never ordered it even though he prescribed it lol. He was shocked when i said that. i told him i wanted to wait and see how the prp worked first and he just assumed i'd get desperate and get on oral minoxidil too.

anyway, he is sort of a snake to say the least. however, the minoxidil he prescribes is legit lol its at the dose of .25mg if i remember right. let me know how you are doing on it.

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had an fue procedure done on Dec 1, 2017 on the frontal area of my scalp by Dr Pathovanich in Thailand. My crown is also thinning and I've been on Finasteride since 1998 (except 2010 to 2013 I think) and minoxidil foam 5% for the last 5 to 6 years. Foam did nothing for me interms of regrowth. Anyway after my fue procedure I dropped the topical minoxidil and started 5mg oral minoxidil and been taking it daily since Dec 1. So..45 days?

What I noticed so far is:
- much much better skin and complexion
- occasional slightly higher heart beat feeling that went away after the first month
- no puffiness or water retention..no side effects
- had a big shed on crown after 1 month..now very little hair shed
- eyebrows and beard appear fuller since last week..looks good actually imo
- no change in blood pressure since taking it...checking regularly
- overall feel great and looking forward to seeing if my vertex and crown (non hair transplant regions) improve in the coming months.

As a side note I'm extremely impressed so far with my hair transplant in terms of what can be said at this point. After approximately 2300 grafts were removed and are undetectable in donor zone with level 2 guard shave. This has exceeded my expectations. Anyway I'll update with pics of my crown after 3 months use of minoxidil and see if there's a difference.

Last edited:

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I had an fue procedure done on Dec 1, 2017 on the frontal area of my scalp by Dr Pathovanich in Thailand. My crown is also thinning and I've been on Finasteride since 1998 (except 2010 to 2013 I think) and minoxidil foam 5% for the last 5 to 6 years. Foam did nothing for me interms of regrowth. Anyway after my fue procedure I dropped the topical minoxidil and started 5mg oral minoxidil and been taking it daily since Dec 1. So..45 days?

- occasional slightly higher heart beat feeling that went away after the first month
- overall feel great and looking forward to seeing if my vertex and crown (non hair transplant regions) improve in the coming months.

As a side note I'm extremely impressed so far with my hair transplant in terms of what can be said at this point. After approximately 2300 grafts were removed and are undetectable in donor zone with level 2 guard shave. This has exceeded my expectations. Anyway I'll update with pics of my crown after 3 months use of minoxidil and see if there's a difference.

congrats on the transplant. firstly, i want to follow your progress with oral min, but your observations so far are a bit weird lol. better skin complexion is a side i have NEVER heard due to minoxidil's effects on collagen production. the other sides you mention are definitely legit so good on those. the initial shed is to be expected. my worry is synchronized sheds with it. i experienced some type of one when on topical. was the most insane thing i have ever seen and felt.

Dr. Pathovanich is probably the most influential with oral minoxidil posts lol. did he show you any pictures of recovered patients of his? he is definitely the guy to go to for it.

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think it's a side, but rather an effect of not using any more topicals...i dunno it could be in my head but it was noticeable to me.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
On oral low dose 1.25 per day for 8 months. Was seeing solid progress after a massive shed. No sides.

Not on Propecia.

I got hit with a huge shed over the holiday and rapidly losing ground. May jump to 2.5 but worried about triggering a new shed.

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil 5mg per day 3 month update - my crown and vertex are much thicker. I just had a haircut and it literally looks like I have no signs of balding anymore. hair transplant in the front coming in nicely too. Powerful stuff!
No sides but I wonder if I should taper down now just to maintain.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil 5mg per day 3 month update - my crown and vertex are much thicker. I just had a haircut and it literally looks like I have no signs of balding anymore. hair transplant in the front coming in nicely too. Powerful stuff!
No sides but I wonder if I should taper down now just to maintain.

Thanks for the update. Appreciate people coming back and letting us know how they are coming along.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, need to try this but many people here advice against oral minoxidil and I’m scared to try it.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Wow!! When did that big shed on the crown end? I'm actually shedding from everywhere one month in. Praying it just stops soon.
Thanks

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It ended..who knows it could have been caused when I switched back to topical. Anyway the topical does basically nothing for me in terms of regrowth ..maybe maintenance I dunno.