Optimum amount of caffeine to add to shampoo?

lukey

Reaction score
Says it all really. Lets say to a 250 ml bottle of ordinary shampoo. For example how much does Alpecin shampoo actually contain? Is too much harmful? How much is too much? I currently add 400mg per 250 bottle.

thanks

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
lukey said:
. . . For example how much does Alpecin shampoo actually contain? . . . .

thanks

My understanding is that the Alpecin shampoo has a 2% caffeine concentration.

lukey

Reaction score
Is more caffeine more beneficial then? Or can we assume that the people that have researched and tested it, Alpecin have found 5mg/ 2% to be the optimum amount?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
lukey said:
Is more caffeine more beneficial then? Or can we assume that the people that have researched and tested it, Alpecin have found 5mg/ 2% to be the optimum amount?

I saw a study recently indicating that too much caffeine can actually damage the hair follicle. So, let's not go above the 2% concentration for now.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
lukey said:
would that be 5mg of caffeine then for a 250 ml bottle? Not 5g right

If its 2% by mass then it would be 5g, assuming the 250ml solution is mostly water which is 1g per ml but maybe the shampoo has a density much different from that of water.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lukey said:

If you don't know how to calculate percentages, hair loss should be the least of your concerns.

lukey

Reaction score
Dave001 said:
lukey said:

If you don't know how to calculate percentages, hair loss should be the least of your concerns.

I am actually fairly good at maths, and believe 5mg would equate to 2% in a 250ml solution. Is this not correct?

Also SE freak-

Is too high concentration really potentially very harmful to hair follicles?

Zim

Established Member
Reaction score
Just buy the Alpecin Caffeine shampoo, heck of a lot simpler. Besides its a very nice blue colour.

lukey

Reaction score
I believe you can buy caffeine powder or tablets. Personally, I just buy brand name 'pro plus' and add that

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score

Anus

Reaction score
Zimmy said:
Just buy the Alpecin Caffeine shampoo, heck of a lot simpler. Besides its a very nice blue colour.

But Nizoral is pink. Nizoral + caffeine = SUPERNIZORAL!!! Just think of the ramifications!

OMG11111111!!one1one

Old Baldy

Reaction score
lukey said:
Dave001 said:
lukey said:

I am actually fairly good at maths, and believe 5mg would equate to 2% in a 250ml solution. Is this not correct?

Also SE freak-

Is too high concentration really potentially very harmful to hair follicles?

One millileter is the equivalent to one gram (generally), not one milligram.

So, 2 percent would be 5 grams not 5 mg.

There is a poster named fred102 on another hairsite that posted an opinion of a doctor (or researcher) who said too much caffeine is bad for the hair. I haven't seen any studies that concluded too much caffeine is bad, especially if you only leave it on your scalp for 2 minutes.

However, Alepecin said 2 percent is enough.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
naww just get yourself some nescafe beans.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
So 2% concentration... but how many ml are they assuming you use when washing your hair? I'm making a homemade topical and I use 1ml on the head each night. But I can't imagine people only shampoo with 1ml of shampoo. So my topical's concentration should probably be higher right?

5ml of 2% solution = 1ml of 10% solution

I think? I wish I had paid attention in science class.