Opinions on Dr Lee & Dr Proctor offerings

Silverfox

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

just looking a few opinions on Dr lee & Dr Proctor's products. I am in the UK and it costs a ruddy fortune in shipping, so I want to get a few opinions from the forum before I go shopping!

What do you think about these, have they the potential to be goodor are they clever snake oils?; I need to thicken up my hair and maintain.

Dr Proctor:-
Proxiphen-N ( "Prox-N" )
Nano Shampoo

Dr Lee:-
2% Spironolactone liquid
5% lotion spironolactone

All opinions kindly received.

Thanks,
Phil

propaganda

Reaction score
Im a long time lurker on this forum and registered now just to reply. Anyway I was using dr. lees minoxidil and his 5% lotion spironolactone for a good 5 months in this time i lost so much hair that to this day I cant regrow it all back (it was about 1 year ago or more). His regular minoxidil 5% is useless, yes it does not irritate the scalp but thats it. Prior to his minoxidil i was using normal rogaine 5% for a year with good results, with lees minoxidil+spironolactone combo i lost alot of hair. 5% lotion spironolactone is a snakeoil in my opinion and his minoxidil is a snakeoil too. I was using both his minoxidil and spironolactone at the same time. I will never ever order anything from him again. Before you start to bash me i want to say that maybe im the only one who had a bad experience with his products but i cant help it, they just didnt work for me and i lost my gains. Dunno anything about proctor.

Leezer

Reaction score
I have been using Dr Lee's 5% minoxidil for 11 months. So far - no regrowth, lost noticeable amount of hair and did not improve looks. Upsides - never had any irritation.

I think of switching to Kirkland, it's cheaper and - who knows - may prove to be more effective.

gjp2222

Established Member
Reaction score
Silverfox said:
Hi Guys,

just looking a few opinions on Dr lee & Dr Proctor's products. I am in the UK and it costs a ruddy fortune in shipping, so I want to get a few opinions from the forum before I go shopping!

What do you think about these, have they the potential to be goodor are they clever snake oils?; I need to thicken up my hair and maintain.

Dr Proctor:-
Proxiphen-N ( "Prox-N" )
Nano Shampoo

Dr Lee:-
2% Spironolactone liquid
5% lotion spironolactone

All opinions kindly received.

Thanks,
Phil

My take on these is:

Proxiphen N....might be a good adjunct to minoxidil...contains SOD with may be effective in long term use

Nano....nice shampoo...not much more...don't look for regrowth

2% spironolactone...really worthless since it is a liquid...in testing it was not as effective as a cream base

5% spironolactone... may have some merit since it is cream based

Bottom line...nothing will do for you what liquid minoxidil (not foam) and finasteride can do, but you can add some of these items and possibly get a small advantage.

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
Kirkland will sit on you scalp for hours

I dont know about that . after a hour the skin is pretty much dry the hair dries slower but i usually just wash it cause i dont like going to bed like this .
if your not realy sensitive to the ppg i dont see a reason why not to use the kirkland .

gjp2222

Established Member
Reaction score
Leezer said:
I have been using Dr Lee's 5% minoxidil for 11 months. So far - no regrowth, lost noticeable amount of hair and did not improve looks. Upsides - never had any irritation.

I think of switching to Kirkland, it's cheaper and - who knows - may prove to be more effective.

I would agree with you on Kirkland being not only cheaper but more effective. None of Lee's mixes have any clinical trials behind them, changing the minoxidil solution components may make them less effective than the original. Obviously you found that out the hard way!

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
kirkland is greasey. It is terribly greasey and it doesnt die down...

dr lees dries so quickly. kirkland is not nice to use and that is represented in the price

Silverfox

Reaction score
Can you alternate between the different minoxidil products like Rogaine & Kirkland without any issues? (like change in effectiveness, shedding, etc)

Silver

Sean68

Reaction score
my opinion is that theyve all got varying testimonials like anything. if youre gonna use something like prox-n or spironolactone youve got to be in for the long haul you cant skip a few days, order it late etc or its just a total waste of money, if you come in hammered at 4am youve got to put spironolactone on, then again the next morning etc. etc. i couldnt keep it up,

nano is a great thickening shampoo. does it stop youre hair falling out? i dont think so personally.

zossima

Reaction score
Silverfox said:
Can you alternate between the different minoxidil products like Rogaine & Kirkland without any issues? (like change in effectiveness, shedding, etc)

Silver

I've changed between many minoxidil brands...

started with rogaine 5% then used a genereic formula made in madrid farmacies (way sheaper) , used kirkland's and one generic minoxidil sold in my country (Portugal).

They only time i noticed difference in the effect it had on my hair was with the generic minoxidil from my country, it made me shed more, don't really know why... but i think it was beacause it had less Propecia. Glycol. since it wasn't so greasy as the others.

hope it helps.

amsch

Reaction score
Cassin said:
May be, but i've never heard of many success stories when it comes to regrowth with lee's #500. All I see is "love how it dries" and "cosmetically acceptable" and stuff.

amsch

Reaction score
Cassin said:
amsch said:
Cassin said:
May be, but i've never heard of many success stories when it comes to regrowth with lee's #500. All I see is "love how it dries" and "cosmetically acceptable" and stuff.

I've done very well on it.
Hard to judge if you're on other Minoxidil products as well :p

It's just what i've heard around on boards. Cosmetically very acceptable, but not as effective as regular rogaine/kirkland.

amsch

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Well if you're going to look for reasons to dismiss someone's success I guess you won't find any supporting story's.
Geez... it's just from my experience. Or am I wrong that you're using foam as well?
I'm not dismissing anyone's success.

Who pissed into your cornflakes in the past days, cassin? I don't recognize the good old guy anymore.

Cassin

Reaction score
amsch said:
Cassin said:
Well if you're going to look for reasons to dismiss someone's success I guess you won't find any supporting story's.
Geez... it's just from my experience. Or am I wrong that you're using foam as well?
I'm not dismissing anyone's success.

Who pissed into your cornflakes in the past days, cassin? I don't recognize the good old guy anymore.

Sorry I meant that wayyyyyyyyyyy more sarcastic and playful then aggressive. I should have added a smiley or something.

Foam is recent for the record...it hasn't been out that long. My progress ceased way before foam. My results have never gone away but progress has.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sean68 said:
nano is a great thickening shampoo. does it stop youre hair falling out? i dont think so personally.

Maybe not, but then topical minoxidil certainly doesn't, either. I would be careful to use either one of those agents (NANO or minoxidil) with the understanding that all they probably do is provide that extra "offset of growth" that I've talked about so much.

Having said that, though, I'll add that it _may_ be possible that NANO goes a bit farther in that regard than minoxidil. In the past, Dr. Proctor has talked about the possibility that NANO has a property somewhat analogous to TEMPO/TEMPOL or PBN. He said its chemical structure suggests that. If that's actually correct, then I would expect NANO to have more of a "sustaining" effect on hair follicles than minoxidil.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Well, that's that's certainly a new revelation for me....A few days ago i ordered proscar from a new source, Dr Ashcroft, the Dr that Spex recommends as a cheap source of proscar. You have to call him first before he gives his details, i was expecting a quick conversation, but he kept me talking for ages about minoxidil, when i told him that i had been using it for six years. He told me he's not to sure about it in the long term and that maybe i should experiment with only using it one part of the scalp to see if the other side gets worse. Spun me out a little is all, as i was expecting him to just want to go through the normal routine.

Guess i want you to go in to a little more details Bryan, and we all know you love the detail :)

I've always presumed that if i stopped i'd have a massive shed, but now i'm wondering if that would happen.