One Year On Avodart, 41 Y.o. Male, Pics – What Now?

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright folks

I’ve just finished a whole year on Avodart after switching from Finasteride, so thought I'd review where I am and give you an update.

Bit of background:

I began losing my hair at the front when I was 18. I've now just turned 41.

I have really, really naturally fine hair. I can’t describe how fine it is (a nurse once described it as “baby hair”)

I begun taking finasteride when I was about 25. It’s impossible to say how well that worked for me because I have nothing to compare it to. I continued to lose hair/recede, albeit slowly, and the fine-ness of my hair exacerbated my problem.

I’ve had 3 hair transplants at the hairline (about 5,000 grafts in total across 3 surgeries). My last hair transplant was in Jan 2016 with Dr Scott Alexander.

I switched to Avodart in March 2018 because I had been noticing massive shedding in the shower for several months before then (100+ hairs AT LEAST - it was scary how much I was collecting each shower) so I feared that finasteride had lost its efficacy. I've shown pics on here some months ago of the large amounts of hair I had shed.

After being on Avodart for a year, I’d say results are inconclusive. I’m still shedding tons of hair per shower (probably 100+). Hard to explain how I have so much left. However, I haven’t noticed much change on my head although my hairdresser did say some months ago I had thinned a little further at the crown. There’s thinning at my crown and If I part my hair, especially when wet, I have a wide parting. I must have massive density to compensate for my fine hair and a speedy hair cycle.

I’ve tried taking photos over the last 12 months. However, with my longish hair style coupled with my fine hair, it’s hard to see much difference or show up my issues. It can look quite different depending on the lighting. And my camera doesn’t seem the best.

What do you guys reckon? Should I stick with Avodart for another course or possibly switch back to Finasteride? My prescription runs out in 10 days. And has anyone ever gone back to finasteride after trying dutasteride?

One thing I should add is that with all the hairs I shed, I notice a mix of long ones and short, fine ones. It’s always been that way. Should I read anything into that?

And I’ve not experienced any real sides with Avodart – just what I had with Finasteride, such as an erratic libido but again, that may just be me.

These pics are taken after one year. The first 2 are with wet hair, one with a partin deliberately drawn. The other 2 are with dry hair, again one with a parting deliberately drawn.

Attachments

• 56920239_665240760601472_2739957378412707840_n.jpg
    56920239_665240760601472_2739957378412707840_n.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 3,266
  • 56997542_536811966723432_4879150249177776128_n.jpg
    56997542_536811966723432_4879150249177776128_n.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2,261
  • 56927262_320863505266968_7978609807743516672_n.jpg
    56927262_320863505266968_7978609807743516672_n.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2,142
  • 57109753_288836275378896_572166570986438656_n.jpg
    57109753_288836275378896_572166570986438656_n.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 2,833

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These pics were all taken from 6-7 months ago. Again, I deliberately drew a parting in these photos to emphasise my problem. If I let it hang naturally, you wouldn't see the scalp so much beyond the crown.

Attachments

• oct1.jpg
    oct1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,601
  • oct2.jpg
    oct2.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,643
  • oct3.jpg
    oct3.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,642
  • sep1.jpg
    sep1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,594
  • sep2.jpg
    sep2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,498

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
your face is in one of the pics, you look 17 tho lol

its amazing you kept your hair for this long. you probably need to add some form of topical aa unless you want to go the oral route

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
your face is in one of the pics, you look 17 tho lol

its amazing you kept your hair for this long. you probably need to add some form of topical aa unless you want to go the oral route

ha, probably bathroom lighting!

I explored adding an AA to my regimen at some depth - the two issues I have is that
a) I haven't got a clue which AA to use - so much choice and uncertainty, especially with something like RU, and b) because my hair is so fine, I use a lot of product to bulk it up and keep it in place - eg hairspray and some thickener. I don't think I could add a topical AA as well. Would become very messy and time-consuming.

Are there any AAs you would recommend?

S

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I've just renewed my Avodart prescription for next 6 months. I'm still shedding lots of hair but not noticing much difference on my head, and if anything the April pics above look slightly better than the ones taken in Sept/Oct. I figured it was worth sticking with. Not sure what my other alternatives are beyond going back on finasteride.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You ought to stick to Avodart and possibly add a topical growth agent (i.e. min, bimatoprost, caffeine) in lieu of add a topical AA. You can also dye your hair which makes it marginally thicker.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You ought to stick to Avodart and possibly add a topical growth agent (i.e. min, bimatoprost, caffeine) in lieu of add a topical AA. You can also dye your hair which makes it marginally thicker.

Thanks. I do use Nizoral and Regenpure (forgot to mention those), but they're not AAs? I don't want to get involved with min, but I can look up the others.

And yes, I do dye my hair a slightly darker brown every 6 weeks. It does leave hair feeling good and hydrated!

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should have gotten blood tests to see what you hormone levels are, and to compare them when you went on Avodart. If your DHT level was still high, then yes go with something stronger.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should have gotten blood tests to see what you hormone levels are, and to compare them when you went on Avodart. If your DHT level was still high, then yes go with something stronger.

oh really? That was never suggested to me before. Does that mean I'm no longer able to tell if Avodart is right for me?

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Would that be a standard PSA test you get when you go to a urologist?

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@skinnyshaft Did dutasteride reduce your girth or was it skinny before finasteride/dutasteride? I'm thinking of switching from finasteride to dutasteride.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I do use Nizoral and Regenpure (forgot to mention those), but they're not AAs? I don't want to get involved with min, but I can look up the others.

And yes, I do dye my hair a slightly darker brown every 6 weeks. It does leave hair feeling good and hydrated!

FYI Nizoral and Regenepure both contain ketoconazole so you shouldn't be using both. I use ketoconazole 2% shampoo 2 or 3 times per week. If you're alternating both of these then you might be damaging your hair.

Again a good growth agent seems to be what you're missing from your regimen.

ForeverLacey

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some things to keep in mind in regards to male pattern baldness is that not only does the follicle miniaturize, but the hair cycle changes with it. The Anagen phase becomes shorter over time with the Catagen & Telogen phases becoming longer. Even though you are on treatment now the damage can't be reverted back to how it once was. So what you may be experiencing as a lot of shedding may only be a shorter Anagen phase which may explain why not much has changed.

Last edited:

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some things to keep in mind in regards to male pattern baldness is that not only does the follicle miniaturize, but the hair cycle changes with it. The Anagen phase becomes shorter over time with the Catagen & Telogen phases becoming longer. Even though you are on treatment now the damage can't be reverted back to how it once was. So what you may be experiencing as a lot of shedding may only be a shorter Anagen phase which may explain why not much has changed.

I thought blocking dht would cause anagen to lengthen again?

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These pics were all taken from 6-7 months ago. Again, I deliberately drew a parting in these photos to emphasise my problem. If I let it hang naturally, you wouldn't see the scalp so much beyond the crown.

damm you look so feminine

sonnytle

My Regimen
Reaction score
How much do you pay for the Avodart? Dutasteride is not approve for hair loss here in the U.S. so my insurance won't cover. I just spent $602 for 90 pills today with a Goodrx coupon. :(

BeHereNow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing I should add is that with all the hairs I shed, I notice a mix of long ones and short, fine ones. It’s always been that way. Should I read anything into that?

The long ones are very likely normal hairs which have gone through a full anagen cycle, the small ones will probably be miniaturised hair.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How much do you pay for the Avodart? Dutasteride is not approve for hair loss here in the U.S. so my insurance won't cover. I just spent $602 for 90 pills today with a Goodrx coupon. :(

Getting good information is like pulling teeth, but I have read that it does not need to be taken every day like finasteride does because it stays in your system much longer and keeps dht much lower for weeks.

Of course that just what I read here. It could be bullshit. I'd ask around. Try to talk to someone who would know and has had success using it.

Last edited: