One Year On Avodart, 41 Y.o. Male, Pics – What Now?

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How much do you pay for the Avodart? Dutasteride is not approve for hair loss here in the U.S. so my insurance won't cover. I just spent $602 for 90 pills today with a Goodrx coupon. :(

Are you srs? Jfl. Generic dutasteride is $32 at costco for 90. No insurance.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any one read a study with the name NUH HAIR. Its a combined topical with dutesteride , finasteride, and minoxidil. You can add a fourth treatment i.e oral finasteride or keto. The results supposed to be really good.

sonnytle

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you srs? Jfl. Generic dutasteride is $32 at costco for 90. No insurance.
I've tried Breckenridge, Camber, EPIC, and Amneal generics and only Breckenridge worked...and really well. I thickened up within 6 months. Each time the pharmacy switched manufacturers (w/o notice) other than Breckenridge i consistently thinned out. Breckenridge discontinued it's dutasteride product last Novermber and sure enough i have thinned out since then. I'm hoping Avodart will be effective as it should.

@Feelsbadman, which manufacturer are you getting and how well has it worked for you?

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought blocking dht would cause anagen to lengthen again?
you need to understand that testosterone is also an androgen like dht. any androgen can progress ANDROGENetic alopecia, which you claim to have. Dutasteride is taking care of your DHT levels so now you must address testosterone too.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How much do you pay for the Avodart? Dutasteride is not approve for hair loss here in the U.S. so my insurance won't cover. I just spent $602 for 90 pills today with a Goodrx coupon. :(

In the UK, it's about £350 for a 6 month prescription for branded.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The long ones are very likely normal hairs which have gone through a full anagen cycle, the small ones will probably be miniaturised hair.

Thanks. Do I need to read into anything that I'm also shedding miniaturised hairs or vice versa? Or is that all normal?

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some things to keep in mind in regards to male pattern baldness is that not only does the follicle miniaturize, but the hair cycle changes with it. The Anagen phase becomes shorter over time with the Catagen & Telogen phases becoming longer. Even though you are on treatment now the damage can't be reverted back to how it once was. So what you may be experiencing as a lot of shedding may only be a shorter Anagen phase which may explain why not much has changed.

Thanks, just trying to get my head round your explanation. Science was never my strong point at school! So does that mean that I will still be losing hair despite not noticing much difference on my head? Will the accelerated cycle suddenly bite me on the arse, so to speak?

Bear in mind that I'd first noticed the extra shedding 19 months ago. It's possible that I may have been shedding the same amount before then, it's just that I noticed it properly then.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
try 25mg oral Cyproterone Acetate, 50mg oral Bicalutamide or 200mg oral Spironolactone

Thanks. Are these suggestions for an AA (growth boost) to add to my regimen, or for something to control testosterone?

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
FYI Nizoral and Regenepure both contain ketoconazole so you shouldn't be using both. I use ketoconazole 2% shampoo 2 or 3 times per week. If you're alternating both of these then you might be damaging your hair.

Again a good growth agent seems to be what you're missing from your regimen.

Oh really? I hadn't heard that before. I don't use them any more than I would if I just had the 1 ketoconazole shampoo rather than 2 - which is 2-3 times a week.

Why would alternating them be damaging to the hair, and would you recommend one over the other? Regenepure DR I only tried using a few months ago.

Thanks.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@skinnyshaft Did dutasteride reduce your girth or was it skinny before finasteride/dutasteride? I'm thinking of switching from finasteride to dutasteride.

Hi, I've had super-fine hair since my teens. Switching from Dutasteride from Finasteride definitely hasn't diminished the quality or thickness of my hair. It all looks much the same. Still super fine.

Best thing I find for fine hair, besides cosmetic thickeners, is very good quality salt spray.

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a topical growth agent or AA (same thing right?), which I should add to my regimen which isn't topical minoxidyl? Or are there oral alternatives I could add?

I saw that bimatoprost and caffeine were both recommended earlier in the post. I've not heard of the former, and as for caffeine, is that as in caffeine shampoo or are there topical solutions in use?

Thanks
S

BeHereNow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. Do I need to read into anything that I'm also shedding miniaturised hairs or vice versa? Or is that all normal?

Hard to say definitively but if your treatments are working then losing the miniaturised hair is usually a good sign. You have your hair grown out so they could possibly be baby hair also. Try not to worry, stick with your treatments. This is a long game as you know.

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. Are these suggestions for an AA (growth boost) to add to my regimen, or for something to control testosterone?
all im saying is testosterone plays a large role in hair loss, it is an androgen itself, it converts to DHEA, DHEA-S, which also convert to DHT. Testosterone is the main enemy for hair, not DHT.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
all im saying is testosterone plays a large role in hair loss, it is an androgen itself, it converts to DHEA, DHEA-S, which also convert to DHT. Testosterone is the main enemy for hair, not DHT.
If that were case then people with 5 alpha reductase deficiency would also go bald ,but they don't. May be dutasteride is not working well. I were you I would check my hormonals profile. Check your dht levels from good lab. I think the dutasteride you are using is not getting absorbed properly,change the brand or increase the dose. It should have worked for you.

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If that were case then people with 5 alpha reductase deficiency would also go bald ,but they don't. May be dutasteride is not working well. I were you I would check my hormonals profile. Check your dht levels from good lab. I think the dutasteride you are using is not getting absorbed properly,change the brand or increase the dose. It should have worked for you.
you are coping, do some research @Sonolmn98

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update gents...

I've been freaking out today. My girlfriend took some new pics and she said I've thinned at the crown and I don't appear to have any new hairs going through in that area. The photos themselves look worse (taken when the hair was wet) than they did even a month ago, and I've also noticed increased shedding over the last month. I did miss taking dutasteride for 10 days due to prescription running out but I can't believe that would've made much difference.

What does everyone else reckon? Does it look as bad as I fear?

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_110128.jpg
    IMG_20190512_110128.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20190512_110214.jpg
    IMG_20190512_110214.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_20190512_111104.jpg
    IMG_20190512_111104.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 456

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've started noticed tons of really short, loose hairs all over my body and sink after I shower. They're quite thick though. Really worried that these are from my head. They look more like eyelashes or the ends of hair after you've trimmed it, or hairs from my sideburns. But there's 100s of them.

These can't be miniaturised hairs can they?