Once A Day Good Or Need Two.. Kirkland's 5%?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes but then eventually result will stabilize and you will get same result as if you were applying it once a day.
It's same as if you were using 2ml vs 1ml - result will stabilize eventually and it will be same, you will be wasting that 1ml.

So, you are stating that once a day = twice a day, and 1ml = 2ml.

What's your scientific evidence for each of these claims, exactly? Or, is it all just... nonsense?

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a graph lying somewhere showing the effect of 2% vs. 5%. The 5% concentration jump starts the regrowth faster but regrowth from both 2% and 5% seem to stabilize and become equal after a few months.

Obviously, if you're not getting results from 2% but are from 5%, it may mean that you actually need a higher concentration. However, if you're a good enough responder, 2% twice a day is more or less equivalent to 5% once a day.

Apparently, some MD agrees with this: https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/medications/rogaine-minoxidil/

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There's a graph lying somewhere showing the effect of 2% vs. 5%. The 5% concentration jump starts the regrowth faster but regrowth from both 2% and 5% seem to stabilize and become equal after a few months.

Obviously, if you're not getting results from 2% but are from 5%, it may mean that you actually need a higher concentration. However, if you're a good enough responder, 2% twice a day is more or less equivalent to 5% once a day.

Apparently, some MD agrees with this: https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/medications/rogaine-minoxidil/

You may have meant to post this to another thread? There's no conversation here about 2% vs. 5%.

What Dr. Bernstein (who is an excellent doctor) does say that is very relevant to this thread is:
  • When using minoxidil once a day, use at least double the recommended dose

Reactions: FBP

rcom440

Reaction score
So, you are stating that once a day = twice a day, and 1ml = 2ml.

What's your scientific evidence for each of these claims, exactly? Or, is it all just... nonsense?

Just my experience and experience of other people using minoxidil over many years. Just search online and you will see some of those threads on different forums. Stuff like that was discussed many-many times before.
Topic about minoxidil dosage is as old as this forum.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just my experience and experience of other people using minoxidil over many years. Just search online and you will see some of those threads on different forums. Stuff like that was discussed many-many times before.
Topic about minoxidil dosage is as old as this forum.

So in other words, you're "teaching" people about medication, like this:

It's same as if you were using 2ml vs 1ml - result will stabilize eventually and it will be same, you will be wasting that 1ml.

as if you have real scientific evidence to support it and you're sure, but in fact you have none at all. It was discussed "many-many times before", that's your evidence. And you tried it and that's how it worked out for you (which is utterly irrelevant). OK...

rcom440

Reaction score
So in other words, you're "teaching" people about medication, like this:

as if you have real scientific evidence to support it and you're sure, but in fact you have none at all. It was discussed "many-many times before", that's your evidence. And you tried it and that's how it worked out for you (which is utterly irrelevant). OK...

I was just giving him my advice.
Just do search online about minoxidil dosage.
You obviously haven't been around hairloss forums for too long.

rcom440

Reaction score
There was statement on Rogane website to use 1ml. They mentioned that if you use more you are basically wasting it. I'll try to find it when I get time.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dude, whatever. You're saying things that go against both what doctors say and what the makers of Rogaine say, both regarding frequency of dosage and amount of dosage. This is serious business because after all you are giving advice about medication, and saying very speculative things as if they are absolutely facts. When I ask for proof - any proof at all - you say "it was discussed many-many times" and "you haven't been around hairloss forums".

Not that it matters all that much, because what people post here is not scientific evidence, but I can tell you that I've been reading this forum daily for over a year and most people do NOT post that it doesn't matter at all how much minoxidil you use. People talk about how much they use and why, but virtually no one writes "it's completely irrelevant how much I use". And perhaps some do, but that isn't evidence either.

I would say that if one could make a judgment about minoxidil after reading this forum for a significant period of time, that judgment would be that it works differently, and to different extents, for different people. And that makes any kind of blanket supposition like "use any more than 1ml and you are wasting it" as if it applies to everyone very suspect.

FBP

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, so I think I'm going to use the 5% foam once a day. The liquid irritated my scalp. I literally only want it for my corners so I even wonder if I even need 1ml worth a day? I feel like that dosage is highly dependent on surface area no? A man using it on his corners vs. a man on his crown + corners suggests that man w/corners probably needs like 1/4th-1/2th the normal dosage no?

I've also heard it can really hurt cats. Just my luck I have a two cats, one likes to sleep right by my head. Should I simply train him to not sleep by my head? Also, what about if I do it once a day but right before or after work vs. before bed? Would that let it dry enough so that when I went to bed it's less likely my dumb cat will get exposed? God this is annoying and the reason why I like the shampoo + propecia so much better.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
> I feel like that dosage is highly dependent on surface area no?

That would make a lot of sense.

I also have a cat and am also worried about it, yeah minoxidil is reputed to be very dangerous for cats. My cat doesnt sleep by my head so I take other measures to minimize exposure, including applying it in a place in my apt. where my cat almost never goes. If I were you, based on what you wrote, I think I'd either not let the cat sleep by my head, or apply it in the mornings or right after work and wash it out at night before bed. It should be absorbed by that point anyway and it has a long half life in the skin so washing it out shouldnt mean that it is not having an effect overnight.

rcom440

Reaction score
Yetti, I'm just giving him my honest advice. It works for me and other people who've been using minoxidil for a long time. Please research Bryan Shelton's old posts about minoxidil dosage. I remember he posted some studies backing it. He also posted one study about 2% minoxidil which worked as good as 5%.
Are you even using minoxidil yourself?

rcom440

Reaction score
Also I till tell that there were some experiments with minoxidil where people were applying it to only one temple and had results on both sides.

And yes,
Keep your animals away from minoxidil.
It takes around 4 hours for minoxidil to get absorbed.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know you are giving honest advice, but when you state things as if they are inarguable, proven facts when they simply aren't, I think you're doing people a disservice.

Ya I do use minoxidil. I apply it once a day, in the evenings.

rcom440

Reaction score
It worked for me and other people but
ok mate I will try to dig out some of Bryans old posts and studies on minoxidil when I get chance.
And will say it one more time -
5% minoxidil is 5% minoxidil no matter how many ml. you put on your scalp

Last edited:

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well heres the thing. I dont doubt that you could find posts from Bryan saying that 1ml a day of minoxidil has the same effect as 2 ml or more. And maybe there are studies that support that. But for sure there are doctors, studies, and the maker of Rogaine itself which would strongly disagree. So the way to offer advice about it is to say "in my experience...", or "according to bryans old posts". Rather than just saying its true and if you disagree then you havent been reading the forums. Especially as many or most people in the forums also use more than 1 ml per day.

rcom440

Reaction score
Bryan was true legend in hairloss community and stuff he was saying he was backing with studies.

Makers of Rogane would strongly disagree?

Remember that little statement in Rogane booklet that stated if you missed application do not put 2ml next time you applying it, just continue with 1ml. Well there you go. It's common sense.

Sorry don't get upset but I don't feel like continuing this conversation.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan was true legend in hairloss community and stuff he was saying he was backing with studies.

Makers of Rogane would strongly disagree?

Remember that little statement in Rogane booklet that stated if you missed application do not put 2ml next time you applying it, just continue with 1ml. Well there you go. It's common sense.

Sorry don't get upset but I don't feel like continuing this conversation.

What? LOL, you are saying that according to Rogaine, if you miss a dose, then start applying less, forever? You are making a joke, right?! And this, to you, is "common sense"? Like, I agree that this conversation need not be continued, as it's getting pretty... illogical. For your information, here's exactly what Rogaine says about a missed dose. Don't get upset:

I missed a dose of a ROGAINE® product. Will my hair loss start again?

If you miss 1 or 2 doses of a ROGAINE® product, just continue with your next regular dose. We do not recommend that you try to make up for missed doses. One or 2 days of not using ROGAINE® products will not affect your long-term hair regrowth as long as you resume regular use.

rcom440

Reaction score
Please shoot me!

You are aware that 1ml per application is that Rogane recommend, right?
I said that if you miss application just continue with 1ml (per application - common sense) which is exactly what they recommend which is pretty much the same stuff you copied and pasted from Rogaine website/source.

This conversation is now over.

Last edited: