Once A Day Good Or Need Two.. Kirkland's 5%?

FBP

My Regimen
Reaction score
If it could only be once a day I would go back on it, but I want to hear if people had good results w/that vs. 2 a day.

Let the battle begin..

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Every time you apply it, a thin film will coat your scalp. Applying more will not make the film spread wider and drip more, it does t necessarily mean you will absorb more. You could apply it twice, 1 or 2 hours apart, let it dry first then reapply. That should work better than trying to apply too much in a single session

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use the nozzle of the dropper... just rub the nozzle over the area in question, and it comes out as it rubs. I do 2 ml on the crown, 2 ml on the hairline (1 ml each side). On the hairline I tilt my head back so it doesnt drip forward. It doesnt drip backward much either because its being rubbed in with the nozzle. On the crown I kind of make a semicircle with my other hand very widely around the crown, pressing down on my hair. It doesnt drip past that area and stays on the scalp. Very easy method, I havent needed to look in a mirror while doing it in several months. Takes about 2 min total, no issues.

Reactions: FBP

FBP

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use the nozzle of the dropper... just rub the nozzle over the area in question, and it comes out as it rubs. I do 2 ml on the crown, 2 ml on the hairline (1 ml each side). On the hairline I tilt my head back so it doesnt drip forward. It doesnt drip backward much either because its being rubbed in with the nozzle. On the crown I kind of make a semicircle with my other hand very widely around the crown, pressing down on my hair. It doesnt drip past that area and stays on the scalp. Very easy method, I havent needed to look in a mirror while doing it in several months. Takes about 2 min total, no issues.
Thanks so neither one of you wash or rub off the residual an hour or so later?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks so neither one of you wash or rub off the residual an hour or so later?

What do you mean by residual...? Where? I always wash my hands and my forehead immediately after application, and that's it.

FBP

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean by residual...? Where? I always wash my hands and my forehead immediately after application, and that's it.
I was just referring to what I remember which is a sticky after feeling (hour or so later). Sounds like people such as your actually wash their head after a dose has absorbed for an hour or so. When I did it years ago I just left it in. Perhaps that's wrong/why it irritated me throughout the day more than it should have.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if applied at night then any sticky feeling doesnt matter... i apply at night, usually wash out the next morning

rcom440

Reaction score
Once a day is totally fine. You don't need to use 2ml of 5% minoxidil. No matter how much you apply, 5% minoxidil is 5% minoxidil.

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Once a day is totally fine. You don't need to use 2ml of 5% minoxidil. No matter how much you apply, 5% minoxidil is 5% minoxidil.

What kind of logic is this? According to this a pea size drop of 5% minoxidil and a gallon of 5% minoxidil do the same thing.

Use however much minoxidil you need to cover your thinning areas, whether it be 1ml, 2ml etc.

rcom440

Reaction score
What kind of logic is this? According to this a pea size drop of 5% minoxidil and a gallon of 5% minoxidil do the same thing.

Use however much minoxidil you need to cover your thinning areas, whether it be 1ml, 2ml etc.

This topic has been discussed many times before.

It will do the same thing except if you soak your scalp like crazy most likely you will get side effects so be careful.
Minoxidil can lower your blood pressure and it can be dangerous.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
what do you mean, a pea sized drop and a gallon will do the same thing, how silly. of course its relevant how much you use. who "discussed this many times before" and concluded otherwise? if youre going to use it only once per day, youre advised to use more than if you were going to do 2 applications.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For anyone that literally baths himself in minoxidil I'd just like to share my own experience regarding topical usage quantities and side effects. Before I shaved off my beard I had to use 3ml of minoxidil each application to get full coverage (applying on face), and I felt the side effects quite stronger, especially regarding flushing of the face, headache, lightheaded. Now I only need to use 1ml and the side effects drastically lessened.

I must say that on days where I don't have time to apply twice a day and only have time for one application, I also adopted the 'use at least twice the amount' method, and then I just use 2ml. Whether or not it's necessary or has any beneficial effect applying twice the dosage in one application, especially when you already have full coverage with 1ml, that I'm unsure of there's any benefit really, but since minoxidil is quite cheap I don't mind doing that.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I must say that on days where I don't have time to apply twice a day and only have time for one application, I also adopted the 'use at least twice the amount' method, and then I just use 2ml.

I use it once a day. On some days that I don't go out, I've thought about doing a morning application as well... but don't do it because I've thought that perhaps my hair is accustomed to a once a day application cycle and alternating between once and twice a day could somehow disturb it. But this is totally speculation, I have no idea if that would actually be the case.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use it once a day. On some days that I don't go out, I've thought about doing a morning application as well... but don't do it because I've thought that perhaps my hair is accustomed to a once a day application cycle and alternating between once and twice a day could somehow disturb it. But this is totally speculation, I have no idea if that would actually be the case.

Even though only a speculation, it could make sense, especially if your current regimen is serving you well.

Last edited:

FBP

My Regimen
Reaction score
So the verdict maybe is try once and if it works keep it. Increase only if needed..?

rcom440

Reaction score
Once a day goes s fine.
and also if you cover thinning area with 1ml there is no reason using more.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
The leaflet says the best results are with twice a day.
I know they have reasons to say so (you buy more) but I tend to follow the instructions, so it's twice a day...

rcom440

Reaction score
The leaflet says the best results are with twice a day.
I know they have reasons to say so (you buy more) but I tend to follow the instructions, so it's twice a day...
Yes but then eventually result will stabilize and you will get same result as if you were applying it once a day.
It's same as if you were using 2ml vs 1ml - result will stabilize eventually and it will be same, you will be wasting that 1ml.

The thing that is interesting with minoxidil is
if you stop it for a few days and then after that you start applying it again, it may jump start some regrow. But you don't want to stop for too long, I would say only a few days - maybe 4 or 5.
You may also play with dosage, apply .5ml get some result and then when result will stabilize you may increase it to 1ml. Then after one year you can start very slowly decreasing it again to .5 ml and after few months all the sudden up it to 1ml.
Some people do it and get some nice results.
Funny thing about minoxidil is you may play that game to the rest of your life.