On hairlosstalk since 7 years, there's still no cure?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Q. How do you cure fingernails that grow too long? How do you cure bad body odor? Yellowing teeth?

What would it take to accomplish this stuff? Gene altering? Perfect topical drugs with zero side effects or systemic action?

A. It isn't necessary to cure a problem if there is a good practical TREATMENT OPTION.

That's all we need for hair loss. Something to put terminal hairs back onto our heads. All it has to do is work, not cost the price of a house, and not need constant daily drugs for the rest of your life. We don't need genetic cures or drugs with unrealistic super-powers.
We already have that, it's a hair transplant. Otherwise you are asking for a cure like treatment with limited sides and non frequent application? It's probably HMI, and probably going to cost a down payment on a house just like any similar new treatment would cost.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So is it possible, but not necessarily easy to obtain?
I think we are at the tipping point of a new wave of next gen treatments, most of which will be realized/hitting the market in the second half of this decade. People don't accept hairloss anymore and the market size is increasing as younger men from all over (but primarily the asian countries) are experiencing earlier and more aggressive hairloss.

Even if it's not HMI/prolactin (HMI is a subQ injection, it's an antibody), I think we see significant progress on treatment avenues just based on the trickledown effect that will come from the billions that are pouring into cell rejuvenation and targeted therapies.
next best treatments will be purely from asian countries, very obvious

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We already have that, it's a hair transplant. Otherwise you are asking for a cure like treatment with limited sides and non frequent application? It's probably HMI, and probably going to cost a down payment on a house just like any similar new treatment would cost.

Transplants are basically a concealing method. No new hair. It offers the least help for the men who need it most. And it certainly does not help when aggressive balders need it most. And it costs too much. And the results are very unreliable. And you have to endure shaving your head & looking like crap for half a year, usually 2-3 times total. (Hint: if you are spending the price of a car to disguise your hair loss, then you probably don't pull off the shaved head look very well.)

Transplants are a shitty treatment from a normal person's perspective.

I am asking for HMI or any other form of cellular treatment that produces more/thicker terminal hair shafts. That is a legit treatment.

No matter what anything costs initially it will cheapen in time. The demand is such that there will be plenty of pressure to make it as cheap as possible.

Transplants are already as cheap as possible. It's a ton of painstaking manual & artistic work.

Last edited:

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
a finasteeide without side effects but researchers are not up to this challenge they will rather produce the 900th growth factor thag works in albino mice and sack in all the funding and then call it off

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is never going to be a cure until a highly breakthrough technology that will likely be appplicable to numerous other fields of medicine, this is either going to be genetic silencing via miRNA/siRNA or cloning.

No topical is ever going to be a cure because they cannot be localized to the scalp, unless some kind of miracle vehicle is developed which is very unlikely. If topicals could be localized you could already apply your choice of AA like bicalutamide or AR degraders in extreme doses + estrogen and be essentially cured, no need for any new drugs. But because they will always go systemic this route is just a cope.

Disabling the androgen receptor with >99% targettable genetic vectors is the only sensible solution that won't have you putting your balls on the chopping block for a few terminal hairs. Probably not technologically feasible within this decade though.
If topicals could actually be absorbed in sufficient dosages topical anti androgens would be the cure. The real barrier is absorption not going systemic. Super potent drugs like finasteride, dutasteride, or even estradiol can be absorbed in more than sufficient dosages but when you need ~5mg of drug to be assorted through the scalp it’s an extreme barrier.

this is why people are applying 100s of mgs of topical min without any sides while a tenth of that dose orally would come close to killing them.

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
There is never going to be a cure until a highly breakthrough technology that will likely be appplicable to numerous other fields of medicine, this is either going to be genetic silencing via miRNA/siRNA or cloning.

No topical is ever going to be a cure because they cannot be localized to the scalp, unless some kind of miracle vehicle is developed which is very unlikely. If topicals could be localized you could already apply your choice of AA like bicalutamide or AR degraders in extreme doses + estrogen and be essentially cured, no need for any new drugs. But because they will always go systemic this route is just a cope.

Disabling the androgen receptor with >99% targettable genetic vectors is the only sensible solution that won't have you putting your balls on the chopping block for a few terminal hairs. Probably not technologically feasible within this decade though.

UT34

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Someone said it perfectly in the past.. how do you shower without getting wet!