Omega Fatty Acid Balance Can Alter Immunity And Gene Express

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Simple rule of thumb, if you burp up your fish oil more than on rare occasions, then it's already started to go rancid and you need to find a better brand/supplier.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
Simple rule of thumb, if you burp up your fish oil more than on rare occasions, then it's already started to go rancid and you need to find a better brand/supplier.

Brains what supplier/brand do you use?

Thanks.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I use fresh fish and sardines in a can at this point. I moved to the Norwood and all the damned vegans around here only take flaxseed supplements so the fish oil is never refrigerated in the store. Since that means all the fish oil I've been finding is most likely rancid on the shelves I figure I might as well get a small snack out of my supplementation instead, plus the fresh fish up here is awesome.

My budget is slightly tight currently however so I'm still looking for some good condition fish oil so I can scale back on wild caught salmon dinners.

CCS

Reaction score
Your body can make this stuff you when you are young. But people who are bipolar, have allergies, have lupus, or are old, can't make it anymore. Then supplementation is needed.

Flax seeds have lignans too. Eat the ground seed. Don't drink the oil. The oil will spoil.

This all makes sense. People get inflammatory diseases as they get older, and they lose their ability to make gla and epa and dha as they get older.

CCS

Reaction score
The fish have vitamin D and B12 too. Sardines are the best.

CCS

Reaction score
So will whole ground sesame seeds give me the lignans I need?

As for fish oil, I take Safeway Select, 200 soft gels for $6, 1 gram of fat, 300mg of the good stuff, not refrigerated. It has vitamin E as a preservative, and thick gel caps to stay fresh. I'm taking them over 2 years past the expiration date. I bite ever single one of them open and suck out the oil. They taste just fine, and no burps, so I guess that means they are not rancid and Dr Mercola just wants money.

Does getting a better ratio of prosteglandins mean we will have weaker immune responses to cancer and bacteria, or does it just mean less inflammation to allergies? Should I go on lupus forums and tell the women there to take sesamin and fish oil and borageseed oil?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Bump!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Bump!

whymelord

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Im under the impression that chia seed/oil is better than flax as it does not go rancid due to the anti-oxidants it has (that flax does not). It is the richest plant source of omega 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica

And the initial claim and chart that says that omega 6 is derived from animals is not correct. If those animals are fed a proper diet (grass fed generally, for chickens, cows etc) then the omega 3s are there. Saying they are high in omega 6 is assuming that they are fed/finished on grains, which granted most animals are today, but that is not the case for normal, grass fed, free range animals (though those are more expensive and harder to find.

whymelord

Reaction score
ad where does this stacking with sesamin info come from? Is it a scholarly paper? IS there any published work to corroborate that? It seems from the first studies that the stack isnt necessary.

DarkDays

Reaction score
Endocrinologist Ray Peat is adamant that PUFA in general(Omega 3 and 6) are bad mojo and aren't really essential to human survival. He even quotes medical literature stating that EFA deficiency can easily be fixed with B vitamins.

This guy has been helping women stabilize their hormones for decades and knows more about inflammation, thyroid irregularities, and more than most guys on the planet.

For those thinking about PUFA I'd read up on the articles on his website to get an overview of how unnecessary they are. Even super healthy tribes like the Okinawans and Kitavans eat extremely little PUFA which they get from fish.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
Fish oil is ok, but I think a top quality Cod Liver oil is a better choice in my own experience.

And also nothing trumps getting vitamins, fats etc from actual food

Jacob

Reaction score
imgCore.jpg

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Bump this sh*t! :woot:

Jacob

Reaction score
I still like that Immuno-Viva stuff. That cranberry seed oil..forget the company name...has been unavailable for probably a year now. Don't know what's up with that..except that maybe some researchers or ? bought it all up.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
OmegaConversions.gif

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Bump this thread!