Omega-3 polyunsaturated fats!

viperfish

Reaction score
Anyone here ever hear of these vitamins http://www.icelandhealth.com. They are rich in Omega-3 polyunsaturated fats. Supposed to be helpful for fighting inflammation, autoimmune diseases, better fat metabolism, and also for keeping insulin levels healthy. Hmmmmmm......thinking this might be a helpful extra.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
Anyone here ever hear of these vitamins http://www.icelandhealth.com. They are rich in Omega-3 polyunsaturated fats. Supposed to be helpful for fighting inflammation, autoimmune diseases, better fat metabolism, and also for keeping insulin levels healthy. Hmmmmmm......thinking this might be a helpful extra.
Yes it would be helpful. Since male pattern baldness behaves like an autoimmune disorder, even though as far as I know it isn't considered a disease, anything that is good for autoimmune disorders will surely help. Thats my 2 cents worth. :)

viperfish

Reaction score
Yes, I think keeping your insulin levels healthy is a big plus too! This product sounds great I just have a gut feeling it might be mostly bullshit.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
Yes, I think keeping your insulin levels healthy is a big plus too! This product sounds great I just have a gut feeling it might be mostly bullshit.

try walnuts and flax which are loaded with natural Omega-3. Ive been on flax in addition to finasteride, and at 3 months im seeing great regrowth with alot more on the way.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
Its not bullshit trust me. Its supposed to be very good for ones health. :wink:

viperfish

Reaction score
It seems if Omega-3 is capable of doing what it says it does then it would be a major plus to help with hairloss. They do mention on the site that it will improve hair health.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
It seems if Omega-3 is capable of doing what it says it does then it would be a major plus to help with hairloss. They do mention on the site that it will improve hair health.
There ya go. Are you going to order any? :)

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
i ate 2g of evening primrose oil, which had about 320mg of omega 3 everyday for about 3 months. did f*** all for my hair.

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe Omega-3 is the same as fish oil, which I've been taking for 11 months now. I haven't noticed anything different except a lighter wallet.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
smudge said:
I believe Omega-3 is the same as fish oil, which I've been taking for 11 months now. I haven't noticed anything different except a lighter wallet.
how much do you take?

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
everysixseconds said:
i ate 2g of evening primrose oil, which had about 320mg of omega 3 everyday for about 3 months. did f*** all for my hair.

Omega 3 should no way f*** your hair.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
everysixseconds said:
320 mgs of omega 3 isn't very much.

viperfish

Reaction score
Dice_Has_Hair said:
everysixseconds said:
320 mgs of omega 3 isn't very much.

True the stuff I'm talking about calls for 1000 mgs everyday. 320 mgs is not much at all. They also mention that it is in a more "pure" form. It was noted that people from Iceland live longer and are generally more healthy than anyone else in the world. It is due to their high consumption of Omega-3.

Jacob

Reaction score
You may want to check out krill oil. Here's a recent article on it: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Jul/30/il/507300302.html

Krill oil plays a role in reducing inflammation in the body, and thus may help those suffering from joint pain and other inflammatory disorders; at the same time, krill oil decreases cholesterol and blood fats. It may achieve both of these results with greater efficiency than fish oil because the omega-3 fats found in krill oil are more easily assimilated through the small intestine.

Less is needed..compared to fish oil.

From what I've read..if you're going to take flax oil it should be thru freshly ground flax seeds. http://www.mercola.com/2004/jul/21/flax_seed_oil.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/21/flaxseed.htm

Flax lignans(if taking flax) may make the most sense...??

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good Jacob. I have read though that any crustacean like shrimp really shouldn't be eaten since they have high amounts of toxic metals. I wonder if krill is the same way. If so, I hope that fat is filtered, to get out the toxins. :)

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
smudge said:
Dice_Has_Hair said:
smudge said:
how much do you take?

2g/day
You should get the kind that is in liquid form, not capsules, and take it by the Tablespoon. You should get roughly around 12 grams that way. Have to keep it in the frig though. :)

Jacob

Reaction score
Dice_Has_Hair said:
Sounds pretty good Jacob. I have read though that any crustacean like shrimp really shouldn't be eaten since they have high amounts of toxic metals. I wonder if krill is the same way. If so, I hope that fat is filtered, to get out the toxins. :)

Nope..krill is different. It's one of the things they point out when comparing it to fish oil. Another is stability. Also has "studies" on it that fish oil doesn't have.

Plenty of info here(pdf files): http://www.neptunebiotech.com/1024/products.html#nko

Polish

Reaction score
http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/04/14/f ... hair-loss/

is it possible that fish oil or flaxeeds oil causes hair loss ?
The doctor says he doesn't think it would cause hair loss. But if you look at all the comments left underneath the doctor's response a lot of people complain about hair loss after taking fish/ flaxseed oil.
I take 1000 mg of Fish oil twice daily ,is it safe ?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Here the problem. No one has ever proven omega 3s omega 6s or anything actually alters the immune system or could even explain how our immune system works. most drugs and our scientific understanding of the immune system really sucks at this point in time. Most drugs that target the immune system fail or cause severe problems. There is really nothing that shows omega 3s actually do anything to the immune system and if they do Im curious how they know that.

I dont know I cant find anything that explains how omega 3s reduce inflammation or through what pathways it works. Thats assuming of course the omega 3s actually get absorbed and used.