omega-3 fatty acids

maintainence1

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the effects of omega-3 fatty acids on hair loss? I've heard a lot about omega-3s being important to the shine/ health appearance of the hair, but can it induce growth? The doctor who created Revivogen seems to swear by them.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taken internally or applied topically? Revivogen is a topical product, but you appear to be asking about the food supplement.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They will do nothing to combat hair loss.

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
When looking at Fatty acids - Try Omega 6 or Omega 3 or both - Your body will give you clues as to what it is in short supply of. Series 1 and 3 are benefical pathways to balance your immune system as are the co - factors :)

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I take Hemp oil every day. It contains an even better ratio of fatty acids than flaxseed oil and tastes a million times better too.

It is GREAT for hair condition and growth.

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip091.htm

...Alterna & The Marketing Of Hemp Haircare:
Although they didn't discover the many historical benefits of hemp, the Alterna company did recognize the many benefits that hemp offers for the hair. Cosmetic grade hemp seed oil is a rich source of essential amino acids which have proven benefits for hair.

Alterna recognized the huge growth potential for utilizing hemp as a hair-care ingredient and introduced their hemp oil product line in 1998.

The hair chemists at Alterna discovered, what health food advocates already knew, that hemp seed oil is one of the very richest sources of nutrients that when injected into hair care formulas. Hemp seed oil has been proven to help some people with the development of healthy kerative formation. In other words, hemp oil, for some people, can help develop hair that is strong and healthy.

As we all get older it is a fact that our hair slowly becomes deficient in Omega-3 fatty acids. By using external hair care products coupled with internal supplements like Hemp, Flax and Evening Primrose Oil (all high in fatty acids) we may starve off the aging to our hair and skin.

Alterna promises that the hemp seed oil's concentration in their products is a perfect 3:1 ratio of essential fatty acids. The 3:1 ration is what a healthy human scalp and hair should consist of. This ratio is also what our bodies can most easily absorb.

When used on a regular basis, Alterna promises that its hemp-based products make a dramatic difference in the look, feel and behavior of any hair type.

...Hemp Oil is actually superior to the highly touted flax seed oil. Hemp oil contains more EFAs than flax and actually tastes good. It is nutty and free from the objectionable undertones of flax oil...Hemp oil also has the perfect three-to-one ratio that matches our nutritional needs.

Internal Benefits Of Hemp Oil For Hair
Many health experts believe that you have to build good health from the inside out. This belief is shared by hair experts who believe in the benefits of adding EFA supplements or oils to the diet.

Hemp Oil For Your Hair
Is it best to use hemp seed internally or externally for your hair? Most nutritionists believe that to really get benefits from a supplement, we need to take them internally. If you are experiencing hair or skin challenges, taking hemp oil as a capsule form or as a food, will offer the best results.

Taken internally, it is thought by many to simulate growth of hair and nails, improve the health of the skin, and can even reduce inflammation from arthritis or related diseases.

While the hemp based shampoos and hair care products can offer the benefit of softer hair and skin, it can not be as supportive as taking the oil internally.

My experience is that it simulates growth of hair and nails, improves the health of the skin, and can reduce inflammation. I like the idea of having one good oil that supplies both omega-3s and GLA, without the need to take more capsules.

Some people experiment with adding hemp seed oil directly to their favorite shampoos and conditioners as a home grown custom recipe. Others will apply the oil directly to their hair as a form of conditioning. Not well suited as a hot oil treatment, the oil can still be applied to hair and left on overnight. It can also be used to oil braids, cornrows or other hair weaves.

If you wish to experiment by adding hemp oil to your hair start slowly with a little oil. If the formula works, you can slowly increase the amount you use.

The advantage that hemp seed offers is that it combines the benefits of omega 3 and omega 6 along with GLA. One product will supply what you need. If you take capsules this can be even more beneficial.

If you wish to take Hemp Seed Oil internally, there is good news. The oil has a distinct, earthy flavor and a light green color. Some people describe the taste of hemp seed oil is nutty. Many people enjoy the flavor.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A.L.P acid is omega3 isn't it or was it q10. Anyway I have been using these two topically for a couple of months now with some responce from the vellus hairs in that thier a little longer.

viperfish

Reaction score
Redrose,
Did you ever use Alterna's restore (think that is what its called)for thinning hair?? I used it for a little and kinda liked it, especially the shampoo.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I have been taking Omega 3's for about 10 months now and from what i can tell it has made my hair shiny and healthy looking...as for regrowth, i could not say.

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
I take Hemp oil every day. It contains an even better ratio of fatty acids than flaxseed oil and tastes a million times better too.

There are some non invasive tests that may highlight lipid problems or Omega 3 problems - The easiest way to find out what your deficient of is to look at the body for clues.

enerjee

Reaction score
In regular food today there is often a lack of many nutritients. Especially cooked or processed food.

Then i can recommend so called superfood like algae/seaweed. I have some algae called Carrageen. Tastes good and has alot of healthy fats. That is what i read at least.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
is there any way to get omega three just at a local pharmacy without having it taste like fish hell when you burp?

Bismarck

Reaction score
I think fish oil is the only source with high amounts of OM3. The trick is to pop the pill first and then have a meal.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Vitacost sells a capsule of Krill oil that is high in omega-3 acids that allegedly doesn't give a fishy aftertaste. Krill is a cold-water plankton, sort of like a small shrimp, that is often used as a food for larger tropical fish. It is one of the best foods for them. I don't know about the fishy taste claim, but Krill is high in omega-3 acids.

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
Flax is an alternative to fish oil - if you have converstion problems you may need to take some co factors alongside it ie. magnesium, B3, B6, Vit C, zinc.

Bismarck

Reaction score
Pete said:
Flax is an alternative to fish oil - if you have converstion problems you may need to take some co factors alongside it ie. magnesium, B3, B6, Vit C, zinc.

Flax oil is pretty much useless.

Bismarck

Reaction score
Pete said:
Flax oil is pretty much useless.

why is it useless alongside co factors ?

The body can't produce the amount of EPA from flax oil that you get with fish oil. It's just that simple.

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
The body can't produce the amount of EPA from flax oil that you get with fish oil. It's just that simple.

Yes, Fish oils are converted easier. Flax is a half decent alternative for vegetarians or people looking for a non - animal source, granted not as good as fish oil.

Look up UDO's work. David Horrobin has done great work in the fish oil arena and did get to the stage of producing LAX 101.