Olive oil and minoxidil irritation

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
I do not mean to create any kind of hype about olive oil.
It is probably worse than emu or aloe.

But any irritation has vanished and I can take the twice per day minoxidil punishment easily with no flaking and good absorption. I could even have a second in a row right now!

Hey - whatever works!

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
I do not mean to create any kind of hype about olive oil.
It is probably worse than emu or aloe.

But any irritation has vanished and I can take the twice per day minoxidil punishment easily with no flaking and good absorption. I could even have a second in a row right now!

I didn't read any hype into it SE; yu're a respected poster. :) Like you, I'm looking for something to help with scalp irritation.

What's wrong with emu or aloe?

SE-freak

Reaction score
aloe vera and emu oil have antiinflamatory properties(aloe is a natural sod I think too).

Olive oil is also said to have healing properties but I don't hear of it much around. The thing is that I always used it on my face(if you do use little and dont leave it on too much cause you might burst out) and it felt great, but never used it consistently on my scalp. I don't know if it is a coicidence but the last two applications of minoxidil were "stealth" in terms of itching and residue.

If I finally include it in my regimen it will be sooo funny-like those fighter movies that there is a bullfighter from Spain, a kozak from Russia, a sumo wrestler fro Japan e.t.c each one having one unique feature from his homeland.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I was reading some more on olive oil (what a surprise...)

It is used by swimmers as a temperature barrier-insulation when swimming in cold waters.

It is also used by some after bath. Olive oil(as most oils do) creates a barrier that keeps moisture inside the skin making it extremely soft.

I would be an interesting idea, to use olive oil after the minoxidil has dried(I guess that would only work for the night application as you would have to shampoo twice daily otherwise) so that it creates a barrier containing the topical "inside" and trapping the residues near the scalp.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
I was reading some more on olive oil (what a surprise...)

It is used by swimmers as a temperature barrier-insulation when swimming in cold waters.

It is also used by some after bath. Olive oil(as most oils do) creates a barrier that keeps moisture inside the skin making it extremely soft.

I would be an interesting idea, to use olive oil after the minoxidil has dried(I guess that would only work for the night application as you would have to shampoo twice daily otherwise) so that it creates a barrier containing the topical "inside" and trapping the residues near the scalp.

SE: Here's some links to topical usage of olive oil, (with other stuff also), for treatment of skin conditions. (Pubmed)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... query_hl=1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... query_hl=1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... query_hl=1 (Not really directly on point but still decent info.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... query_hl=1 (Mixed with another medicine but still informative.)

SE-freak

Reaction score
O.B.,thanks for the links.

Interesting stuff -seems like it is really being used as a topical by more than a few grandmas.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
I had some ithiness tonight and applied the olive oil, and it worked like a chrm!

SE-freak

Reaction score
It is great. It could possibly act as an occluding film and enhance absorption of previously applied minoxidil too. Prassably.

But the main thing is- it feels good. Do use too much on- you might break out. And make sure you shampoo before the following minoxidil application as oil could "lock" minoxidil out.