Olive oil and minoxidil irritation

SE-freak

Reaction score
Lately, I had irritated temple areas due to minoxidil application- I guess it was really drying things up there.

Last night I applied a bit of olive oil in the temples and forehead and this morning the skin there felt very healthy. I was impressed. I tried a moisturizing cream and it did not have the same effect.

Olive oil is acidic so I am not sure if it is a safe long term practice. It seemed to take all irritation away from me though and thought I should share.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying about the minoxidil . . .

At least 2 nights per week I have to forgo my evening minoxidil application because I can feel my scalp getting irritated.

I've gone through a number of topicals to help w/ the irritation:

- Iamin Hydrating Gel (copper peptide)
- Vitamin E Oil
- 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel
- and just this week switched to Emu Oil.

They all have healing properties and are purported to also contain regrowth properties. The Iamin and the Aloe Vera FEEL the best, and all of them have helped w/ irritation.

Did you dream about Salads last night?

SE-freak

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
Did you dream about Salads last night?

Haha no i dreamt about ancient greek wrestlers covered with oil. But that must be a Nizoral effect, I am afraid.

SE-freak

Reaction score
As a sidenote, I think that keeping a healthy scalp skin is extremely important for the absorption of topicals.

For instance, today, after the skin in the temple area had recovered, I noticed that my morning minoxidil application got completely absorbed in that area leaving no trace, while the days before I would get a dusty white residue(minoxidil?) left over after the solution had dried. Flaky dry skin must hinder absorption.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
As a sidenote, I think that keeping a healthy scalp skin is extremely important for the absorption of topicals.

I agree.

Hairtomorrow, Where did you get your emu oil? I am looking for this.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Weepy said:
SE-freak said:

I agree.

Hairtomorrow, Where did you get your emu oil? I am looking for this.

http://www.uniquelyemu.com/haircare.htm

They delivered in 2 days. A lot of other cool looking emu products and info over at that site also.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score

SE-freak

Reaction score
I live in Greece so olive oil is all over my diet. It is undoubtfully a nutritional gem.

Although I question the growth properties mentioned in the link you provided and all over the net and wive tales, I saw great improvement-from flaky skin to healthy rowbust- in just one night. That will keep o.o. in mind when things get extra irritated. The fact that I saw no minoxidil residue after the last application is a very good sign IMO: less left overs on the surface=greater absorption. I might try applying it all over the scalp every now and then.

I have used it several times as an after shave and I didn't believe how my skin looked and felt.(that was so gay)

SE-freak

Reaction score

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
I think this is an informative link:

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/oliveoildr-skin.htm

"So why does olive oil lower blood pressure? One possible reason is its polyphenol content. Polyphenols are potent antioxidants which help arteries dilate, thereby reducing blood pressure. Ten grams of extra-virgin olive oil contains five mg of polyphenols; sunflower oil has no polyphenols".

( http://www.eat-online.net/english/educa ... its.htm#(1) )

Like I said "Olive Oil - it just ain't for salads any more" :)

SE-freak

Reaction score
I applied a thin layer of o.o. over the scalp (and face-bonus), waited for an hour or two, shampooed with a mild shampoo and finally rinsed with cold water for a min. I am under the impression that it had a thickening effect too.

Skin feels great.

If you are having irritation/flaking/itching probs and try this, let me know what you think.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
I applied a thin layer of o.o. over the scalp (and face-bonus), waited for an hour or two, shampooed with a mild shampoo and finally rinsed with cold water for a min. I am under the impression that it had a thickening effect too.

Skin feels great.

If you are having irritation/flaking/itching probs and try this, let me know what you think.

I will try this tonight. What shampoo did you use?

Did you apply minoxidil after washing?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
. . .

Does it have to be the "pure, virgin" variety? (Probably not - but I think that's what I've got at home. My wife's always telling me how healthy our dinners are when she uses that stuff :)

SE-freak

Reaction score
Does it have to be the "pure, virgin" variety? (Probably not - but I think that's what I've got at home.

The difference between virgin and extra virgin is the acid content and organoleptic properties such as taste, so undoubtedly extra virgin has different polyphenols than virgin but as before the total amount of polyphenols are probably the same.

I used extra virgin, but I guess both will do.
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olivechemistry.htm

I used Pregaine Clear Gel Shampoo. I use this or T/Sal on my off-nizoral days. It is relatively mild and leaves hair with a good grip.

Did you apply minoxidil after washing?
I think I will have my night application now and see how it absorbs.

a bit OT:I was reading Martin's story from the photo gallery at hairlosstalk main page. He mentioned that the white residue from minoxidil was reduced considerably at the 1 year mark. If propecia and nizoral gradually reduced inflammation hence leading to a healthier skin then this might have improved the absorption of the topical. This of course increases chances for even better results.

If the occasional application of olive oil continues to give me signs of increased absorption then I will stick to it.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
They delivered in 2 days. A lot of other cool looking emu products and info over at that site also.

Did you buy the pump? Or does the bottle have a tip dispenser?

SE-freak

Reaction score
ok guyz,

1 hour and the temples are completely dry (crown still damp) and no white residue. I could have applied minoxidil and go out.

Plus, the usual(for me) itch while minoxidil dried was non-existent this time.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Lately, I had irritated temple areas due to minoxidil application- I guess it was really drying things up there.

Last night I applied a bit of olive oil in the temples and forehead and this morning the skin there felt very healthy. I was impressed. I tried a moisturizing cream and it did not have the same effect.

Olive oil is acidic so I am not sure if it is a safe long term practice. It seemed to take all irritation away from me though and thought I should share.

Olive oil is GREAT for your skin IMHO!!!! Your scalp likes an acidic enviornment. (Olive oil is the main ingredient in my homemade soaps and creams. It's good stuff IMHO.)

You know, I even gulp down a mouthful of olive oil everday. Something I learned from the "old" folks.

havocatl55

Reaction score
I have been using Olive oil for a month now and it has make the ichy/flaky dryness go away, for the most part. Sometimes it comes back, but thats usually only if i start to slack off on my Olive oil application. I usually put it on my scalp and my face.

Stuff works good. May not grow hair, but definatly helps.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Weepy said:
hair_tomorrow said:

Did you buy the pump? Or does the bottle have a tip dispenser?

No - I didn't buy any peripherals. The bottle has a pop-up tip dispenser similar to a shampoo bottle.

My application method is to squeeze out the teeniest little dab on each of 4 fingers and then I just start rubbing it around. 4 tiny dabs seems to cover everything from the front hairline and back along the crown. (I don't have much hair up there to get in the way though - so this application method might not work for everyone :)

SE-freak

Reaction score
I do not mean to create any kind of hype about olive oil.
It is probably worse than emu or aloe.

But any irritation has vanished and I can take the twice per day minoxidil punishment easily with no flaking and good absorption. I could even have a second in a row right now!