Okay To Store Proscar in Water?

G

Ive been trying to split my proscar into fifths because I dont want to go over the 1mg dosage, but its a major pain in the ***. What I thought about doing is crush them up with a pill crusher, add a little water so I can easily divide the solution into fifths, take a fifth and save the rest. Does anyone know if it would harm the medication to be stored for up to 4 days mixed in the water?

Stingray

Reaction score
You're looking to far in to it.

Just take it and don't worry about going over the dose in a day. If you take 1 pill over the course of 5 days, then it's the equivalent to taking 1mg a day.

But you can probably do that if you want to. I don't know how soluble Finasteride is in water... so you might end up taking more than 1mg per day anyways.

I believe it's alcohol soluble though.

G

Okay I found this:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/productrevi ... /index.htm

"Others dissolve a pill in ether and split it into 5 equal parts, taking one part of the liquid per day, effectively getting exactly 1mg at quite a discount."

Ether? Where the hell do you get ether, and even if you could find it, is ether safe to take internally? :shock: I wonder if its supposed to say ethanol...

Stingray

Reaction score
Ether is a highly volatile chemical used as an anesthetic. It's also an excellent solvent.

You can use Everclear in it's stead though. A pint of everclear, and one propecia a day and BAM! Regrowth.

I mean, you won't notice your penis malfunctioning and hair falling out will be the last thing on your mind.

G

I dont think so. I drank everclear one time, and it was the last time. What I did was crush the proscar into powder, and poured it onto a mirror. Then I used a razor blade to divide it into 5 equal parts. Then I just took one part. I was worried it would taste horrible eating the powder that way, but it doesnt have much taste at all.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but this is completely retarded. Your body does not require a religiously perfect dose each day. Your metabolism varies wildly from day to day based on activity and diet and that effects hormne levels. I just break mine up into 4 pieces that are never the same size.

G

Dinzy said:
I'm sorry but this is completely retarded. Your body does not require a religiously perfect dose each day. Your metabolism varies wildly from day to day based on activity and diet and that effects hormne levels. I just break mine up into 4 pieces that are never the same size.

The only thing retarded is you responding in this post since you have nothing positive to contribute. Even this site says that side effects are "notably higher with a 1.25mg dosage". Thanks but no thanks.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
draevin said:
Dinzy said:

The only thing retarded is you responding in this post since you have nothing positive to contribute. Even this site says that side effects are "notably higher with a 1.25mg dosage". Thanks but no thanks.

Where have you read this sides are notably higher with a 1.25mg dosage ?

This realy is retarded !!!

Do you know the half life of finasteride ?

1.2mg one day and 0.8mg the next will have no disadvantage over the long term.

When someone says that a dose of 1.25mg brings more side effects they refer to an 'ongoing' daily dose of 1.25mg !!

They do not mean a single dose of 1.25mg followed the next day by 0.75mg dose (which effectively is a 1mg daily dose)

G

TynanW said:
Where have you read this sides are notably higher with a 1.25mg dosage ?

This realy is retarded !!!

Do you know the half life of finasteride ?

1.2mg one day and 0.8mg the next will have no disadvantage over the long term.

When someone says that a dose of 1.25mg brings more side effects they refer to an 'ongoing' daily dose of 1.25mg !!

They do not mean a single dose of 1.25mg followed the next day by 0.75mg dose (which effectively is a 1mg daily dose)

"Note! It is extremely difficult to cut a Proscar pill into 5ths. Some just go with 4ths and take 1.25mg per day. You do this at your own risk! Side effects are notably higher at this dosage. Others dissolve a pill in ether and split it into 5 equal parts, taking one part of the liquid per day, effectively getting exactly 1mg at quite a discount."

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/productrevi ... /index.htm

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
draevin said:
What I thought about doing is crush them up with a pill crusher, add a little water so I can easily divide the solution into fifths, take a fifth and save the rest. Does anyone know if it would harm the medication to be stored for up to 4 days mixed in the water?

I would say don't do it... the storage instructions of finasteride say keep away from moisture and heat. In the past it has been noted that finasteride is not stable in water (breaks down)... If you do it you are risking decreasing the efficacy of the product.

I wouldnt worry about 1/5... Just cut the pill in approximate 1/4's with a knife or razor and store them in a dry place.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
draevin said:
"Note! It is extremely difficult to cut a Proscar pill into 5ths. Some just go with 4ths and take 1.25mg per day. You do this at your own risk! Side effects are notably higher at this dosage. Others dissolve a pill in ether and split it into 5 equal parts, taking one part of the liquid per day, effectively getting exactly 1mg at quite a discount."

Why don't you just split your pill into roughly 5 equal pieces so you are getting (over the long term) 1mg a day.

I do not believe the incidence of side effects are significantly higher at 1.25mg, just because this site has some information it does not make it gospel, somewhere else on this site is the 'fact' that Nizoral was used in the Propecai trials, we know that this was in fact not the case.

Show me the information that shows an extra 0.25mg of propecia produces 'notably higher' side effects.

Go ahead with dropping your pharmachuticals into water and leaving it in there for up to 4 days (pharmachuticals Merck advise to keep away from moisture), I am sure this method will yield 'notably' more hair than taking the medication as advised.

Best of Luck

Ty

G

I already stated how I decided to do it a few posts ago. My original post in this thread was asking if it was okay to mix with water - now I know it isnt.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
As you noted before, finasteride is practically insoluble in water, but soluble in ethanol. If you want to get precisely-divided doses (not really particularly necessary, as others have noted), then crush a tablet and dissolve the powder into some strong booze. Then swallow a small metered amount of it every day.

Bryan

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
draevin said:
Dinzy said:

How is it not positive to point out how mistaken you are in thinking an exact dose is necessary. If you did your homework on how the human body and finasteride works then you never would have posted this thread in the first place. Sure my post may have been a bit harsh, but you have to understand that being a PhD student in physics and a "former" chemist makes me extremely intollerant of bad science. And you thinking you need microgram precision in your dosing is terrible science. It is " I don't grasp what it is I am trying to accomplish by adding this chemical to my body" Science.

And of course sides will be noticeably higher in a dose that is 25% higher if they also occur in people with the lower dose because you get zero sides on zero dose and you will grow huge tatas if you take 5g a day. Certainly there is a cutoff dosage where sides occur, but that doseage will fluctuate as the body fluctuates. Nobody has numbers on this because it really isn't posible to obtain such data but I am betting the incidence of sides on 1.25mg that would not have occured if the person was on 1.0mg is well below 10%. Taking finasteride is a crapshoot with the odds tilted hightly in your favor. Don't turn it into some rediculous process. Just take your dose and hope for the best.

Also I suggest you do some research on the endocrine system. I would suggest just looking at blood sugar and insulin becuase there is probably more info out there on that due to diabetes and diet crazes.

I hope someone tries to extend this nonsense into a finasteride patch that will provide a constant dosage of finasteride for 24 hours :)

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dinzy said:
I hope someone tries to extend this nonsense into a finasteride patch that will provide a constant dosage of finasteride for 24 hours :)

Dinzy, would it be cheaper to buy a Proscar patch and cut it into fifths ?

G

@sirlagalot - I know how to cut it into fifths, its just very difficult.
@dinzy - im not claiming to know exactly how the human body works, but I read on this site that sides were notably higher at 1.25mg than 1mg and I dont want to increase the chance of having side effects. Ive also read that some people who experience sides cut their dose to .5mg and sides went away while still having positive results. So the way I see it is the less finasteride the better.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on, guys. The probability of a given individual getting side-effects at 1.25 mg/day but NOT at 1 mg/day is close to zero.

Bryan